New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thursday Next for Halloween
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: October 23, 2002 04:50PM

<HTML>Just thought some of you might be amused by my Halloween costume for this year.

A friend of mine (here in the states) is having a Halloween party with a Pride and Prejudice/Jane Austin sort of theme (she and her husband are dressing as Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy - hopefully sometime after their wedding, as she's currently 6 months pregnant). They are encouraging anything even VERY loosely tied to the theme - for example, someone was threatening to come at Jane Austin Powers. Scary.

Both the hostess and I have read TEA and LIAGB, as have at least a couple other of our friends. So I've decided to come as Thursday.

As it happens, I am exactly the right age (35). I have long brown hair, and can never get a neat ponytail, so a messy ponytail is easy enough. The rest of the costume should be pretty easy. Jeans, a shirt, a black leather jacket, an old copy of Jane Eyre, a computer generated SpecOp-27 badge. The only other thing I really need is a stuffed dodo - which I found a kit to make online (you can find almost anything on the web). I start work on my own Pickwick tonight.

I anticipate an evening of mingling with characters from books, eating cheese while commenting on the ludicrous tax, begging marshmallows for Pickwick, and explaining that yes, I am wearing a costume.

If nothing else, I imagine it'll get a few more of my friends to read the books.

-Magda-</HTML>

Re: Thursday Next for Halloween
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: October 23, 2002 04:57PM

<HTML>Splendid! I hope you're going to paint your car with the appropriate Escher scheme?</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: October 23, 2002 05:30PM

<HTML>No time to paint my car -- the party is in two days. Hey, there's a marketing idea - lizard decals for you car.

My car is pretty colorful though - a Ford (Fforde?) Focus hatchback - bright yellow with black trim. It's easy to find in parking lots - but probably not quite as easy as Thurdsday's.

-Magda-</HTML>

Posted by: all-american-cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2002 08:42PM

<HTML>Hey! That sounds like a great costume. I have all the props, too (or could make them fairly quickly) Do you think a big white minivan could be painted with those quirky lizards in time? I'm pretty creative on that front. However, I think my husband would drop a load in his pants the second he pulled into the driveway and saw "the beast" with a new paint job! LOL

Twila</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: October 23, 2002 09:03PM

<HTML>Gosh, it does sound great!!!!!

I'd suggest you make an entroposcope :D easier than the dodo and I think far more useful (I was never good with pets eheheh)

(may I be pedantic and say it's Jane Austen? So only losely connected with Austin Powers? LOL sorry)</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: October 24, 2002 05:45AM

<HTML>Pedant away - I really should take the time spell correctly. I do know better if I actually pay attention. Nonetheless, the host did specifically mention "Jane Austen Powers" as a possible costume idea in his email invitation to the party. Whether anyone has taken him up on it remains to be seen.

Since I have parrots, I don't find the prospect of a bird for a pet inordinately daunting, but an entroposcope is a good idea - I'll have to see what I have handy to make one.

The dodo is, in fact, half made. He has a body and feet, but I've run out of stuffing, so I'll have to finish him tomorrow. Well, since it's after midnight here I'd probably have to finish tomorrow in any case, since they expect me to show up at work in the morning and at least appear to be productive.

All that's left is to finish stuffing him, sew up the hole, make and stuff the beak and attach it. Naturally, I won't bother to attach the wings until after the party.

-Magda-</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: October 24, 2002 08:15AM

<HTML>whoa! so you're really a wizz with the needle jobs!

I want a dodo too then, please :p</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 24, 2002 06:17PM

<HTML>Can I just point out to Bea that a stuffed dodo makes an excellent, easy to train housepet, requiring minimal upkeep and handling?

It even follows commands:

Sit!
Stay!
Play dead! (bit cruel this one, really...)</HTML>

Date: October 25, 2002 03:52AM

<HTML>Well, Pickwick is finished, and quite cute IMHO.

If anyone would like to see how he came out, a pic of him is here:
[www.geocities.com]

I did cut out the fabric for the wings, and will probably add them some time after the party, but for the moment he's a version 1.7. And no, he can't stand on one foot.

-Magda-</HTML>

Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2002 05:26AM

<HTML>Magda,

Pickwick looks FANTASTIC!! Where did you find the pattern for him? It's a very, very good one. And I quite like him without the wings. Now, if you could just put one of those recordable sound chips in him that lets him go "Plock, Plock" when you squeeze him. Now THAT would be adorable!

I really would love to get a hold of the pattern, as I have a couple of recent Ffordian converts that would love to receive a "official" Pickwick for Christmas!

~Twila~</HTML>

Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2002 05:32AM

<HTML>Oh, Magda, by the way, please be sure to take pics of your entire costume (you can even blank out the face like Jasper did in his promo items) But we'd sure love to see it.

And I asked my husband if I could paint Escher-esque lizards on our big white mini-van (affectionately called "the Beast") and he rolled his eyes and asked me if this was yet another, as he puts it, "Jasper thing" LOL. Then he vehemently said NO when I told him that, indeed, it was! He's such a party pooper. One day, I'll make him read TEA! He'll get hooked! Either that or I'll make sure we get the audio and make him (and my sister...muhahahah) listen to it on our way to New England for Christmas this year. Hehehehe, can't wait to make more converts!

~Twila~</HTML>

Date: October 25, 2002 06:08AM

<HTML>I found the pattern using an extremely sophisticated technological method. I typed "dodo pattern" into Google, and it was the second site listed. More specifically, it's located at [www.aardvarktozebra.com]
Being basically lazy, and a tad crunched for time, I ordered the kit for the larger of the two dodos. It came with everything I needed except the thread and stuffing. It also included the pattern for the smaller dodo, so I may eventually make a little friend for Pickwick.

I did find making the feet a tad tricky. Not because of the actual pattern, but because they are made of vinyl, which wanted to stick to the foot of my sewing machine rather than move after each stitch. The pattern advised using sewing machine oil for lubrication if one encountered that particular problem. Which would have been terribly useful advice, had I actually been in posession of any. On the advice of my mother (who fortunately has a great deal more sewing experience than I) I ended up tracing copies of the pattern pieces I was sewing onto paper, sewing the pieces with the paper on top, and then ripping it off around the stitching. A bit tedioius, but effective. In any case, I'm pleased with the results.

-Magda-</HTML>

Pickwick
Date: October 25, 2002 08:19AM

<HTML>I just LOVE that dodo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see a market for it :D</HTML>

Re: Pickwick
Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 25, 2002 01:56PM

<HTML>You know, if we ever start having conventions and things, those dodos will be a must-have accessory...start the production line now, Magda!

(er, I don't suppose SpecOps have a uniform branch, do they?....just asking, don't want to dress up or anything....)</HTML>

Date: October 25, 2002 02:05PM

<HTML>*remembers to do an entroposcope this weekend*

Now we even have the thing to glue on the jar (brand, instructions, etc) LOL (I found that out the other day...)</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: October 25, 2002 03:59PM

<HTML>I've been meaning to do an entroposcope for months now... the shame... just got rid of a load of babyfood jars which would have made perfect mini-scopes too...</HTML>

Re: Photos for Twila
Date: October 27, 2002 08:01PM

<HTML>Well Twila, you asked for it, so you get to see photos of the party I attended Friday.

Some people did not have costumes. Some followed the theme, more or less, and some made no effort to do so. The results were, as always among my friends, amusing.

We did not have a Jane Austen Powers, but we did get a woman who put on a false beard and came as WWF wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin/Austen (on the far right in the second picture on page one). I and my props are at the bottom of the second page.

Here are the pics:
[www.geocities.com]

I'll warn you in advance that I haven't kept my figure for my age quite as well at Thursday - or rather I've got about twice her figure...
In any case, the three other people at the party who'd read the books knew who I was immediately. The rest were at least amused by Pickwick and the Entroposcope.

-Magda-</HTML>

Date: October 28, 2002 10:00AM

<HTML>Whoa, Pickwick looked even better, and it's bigger than I imagined! And the card! And the entroposcope!
You did great :)

Btw, any suggestions to colour rice? I only have rice at home, didn't much feel like buying lentils (whatever they are... ) so I thought I could have normal rice and coloured rice, but how can I do it? Maybe it's easier to just go to the supermarket and search for lentils... lol</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 28, 2002 10:34AM

<HTML>Magda that was pretty damn cool...mind you Pete & Dave at the Emporium might have something to say about copyright on that dodo.

I looked up the Portuguese for 'lentil' ...it's 'lentilha'.....so that probably doesn't help you much, Bea. They're sort of like peas, I think.</HTML>

Date: October 28, 2002 11:46AM

<HTML>lol Jon, thanks, I knew the portuguese name... unfortunately that doesn't help me in recognising them if I see them, lol
I guess I'll just check the labels :)
Like peas.... ok...</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.