New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Why Swindon?
Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 06, 2002 12:28PM

<HTML>I live in Chippenham (which is about 20 miles from Swindon and about 3 from Leigh Delamare) so I was very interested in the choice of location.

The real Swindon has as much charm as a forgotten cup of tea with so much mould growing on it you'd have give it a name!

Jasper, I think you've actually put it on the map. I loved the book and can't wait for the next one. Who needs Jahovah's Witnesses when you've got Baconites</HTML>

Re: Why Swindon?
Posted by: sassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: February 11, 2002 02:32PM

<HTML>I went to Swindon yesterday - yes really, I did. Sunday afternoon it was. Of my own free will. With a friend, as I was too frightened to go by myself. And it was she who really wanted to go. Drove through it from Junction 15 to the Retail Outlet Park, because we didn't know Junction 16 was nearer to the Park. Says it all really.

A lot of roundabouts in Swindon! No dodos, no airships, just roundabouts. And signposts. A bit like Basingstoke I suppose in that way. Anyway, I'm boring myself again so..........</HTML>

Posted by: jon brierley (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2002 10:43PM

<HTML>for those who don't know, Swindon is the home of not only many common or garden roundabouts but also The Magic Roundabout...yes, really...it is actually called that on the official roadsign. It is one very large roundabout which has somehow spawned several smaller ones around it, and is a bit of a nightmare to drive round......people who drive round it the wrong way may disappear-never-to-be-seen-again...I blame SO-33 (childrens' tv programmes) or possibly it's just an attempt to make Swindon interesting. Failed there, then.</HTML>

Posted by: talpianna (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 06:52AM

<HTML>But is there really a giant statue of Diana Dors?</HTML>

Posted by: jon brierley (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: March 04, 2002 03:55PM

<HTML>there is indeed a statue of Diana Dors outside the Virgin cinema at Shaw Ridge in Swindon...but it is only life size. Mind you, she was a big girl. How she came to appear on the cover of Sergeant Pepper is a story we might perhaps ask Col. Next about....</HTML>

Posted by: mary salter (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 15, 2002 04:44PM

<HTML>Surely one of the reasons he chose Swindon was the fact that no-one there would object since anything that made it appear more interesting (even if it had slightly negative connatations) has to be viewed as a bonus. Then again I could be prejudice having once spent four hours bored out of my mind in a traffic jam, no doubt caused by people being confused by the roundabouts, in dear old drizzly Swindon, I'm certain it can't be all bad.</HTML>

Posted by: carole ward (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: May 30, 2002 11:14AM

<HTML>It is, it is!!!! There is a spare people part factory that makes all the inhabitants! Some of them have just been thrown together, wrong heads, legs etc, a bit like that game where you draw a head, fold the paper over and pass it on to someone else to draw the neck and so on......... really bizarre!</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.