New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Villains for Thursday
Posted by: talpianna (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2002 07:12AM

<HTML>What fictional villain would you most like to see Thursday confront, now that she's vanquished the wickedest man in the real world? For me, it's Professor Moriarty, hands down.</HTML>

Re: Villains for Thursday
Posted by: Deb Fisher (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 03:02PM

<HTML>How about Nogbad the Bad?</HTML>

Date: February 26, 2002 06:37AM

<HTML>Never heard of him (her? it?), Deb. From what?</HTML>

Posted by: fay (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 26, 2002 12:00PM

<HTML>Nogbad the Bad is the villain from the wonderful British children's TV series of the (?) 1960s - Noggin the Nog. From the same team that gave us Ivor the Engine, Pingwings, Pogles Wood, and (I think) Bagpuss and the Clangers.

Personally I can see Thursday (and perhaps her father) having a bit of a hand in the redemption of Ebenezer Scrooge....</HTML>

Date: March 02, 2002 06:40AM

<HTML>Or maybe even managing the redemption of Marley?</HTML>

Posted by: Steve Dean (---.friaco.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: March 17, 2002 08:42PM

<HTML>In the tradition of comics how about transferring tie-ins to books and having Thursday battle Artemis Fowl.

Or Jeffery Archer - surely no bigger villain to novels exists.</HTML>

Posted by: Jedidiah (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: March 21, 2002 08:48PM

<HTML>Just on the idea of villians, but slightly to one side...what if Thursday was in an historical text? Dealing with historical figures, but as they were recorded by the observers of history? Say, for example, if Thursday met the Emperor Augustus as he was described in an historical original text by Suetonius?</HTML>

Date: March 21, 2002 09:46PM

<HTML>Not a bad idea! Maybe she could arrest Livia for multiple murder!</HTML>

Posted by: Scott Harris (---.ra30.dc.capu.net)
Date: March 22, 2002 08:04PM

<HTML>Combine the two- set her up against Richard III as written by Shakespeare.</HTML>

Posted by: Jedidiah (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: March 23, 2002 12:09PM

<HTML>Yes! And with Richard trying desperately trying to prove that he just wanted a horse so he could charge to victory - not to escape. (Everyone, see the set of posts about Richard III's horse problem).

And what if a Richard III from someone else's text got swapped with Shakespeare's Richard III? He'd be standing there saying, "I didn't say that! I didn't do things like that! Is this writer trying to have a go at me?"</HTML>

Date: March 24, 2002 04:55AM

<HTML>Or Inspector Alan Grant, who solved the murder of the Little Princes in the Tower in Josephine Tey's THE DAUGHTER OF TIME, could get Thursday to infiltrate the play for him.</HTML>

Posted by: Opalfruit (---.mcc.wwwcache.ja.net)
Date: March 26, 2002 05:00PM

<HTML>
Next thing you know there'll be a Thursday and Discworld(tm) crossover novel....</HTML>

Posted by: odessasteps (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 04, 2002 02:43AM

<HTML>
Scrooge
Macbeth
Lex Luthor
Fu Manchu

and, a rogue not a villain, Zaphod Beebebrox.</HTML>

Date: April 07, 2002 10:46AM

<HTML>Have you seen the series SMALLVILLE, about the boyhood of Clark Kent? I kind of like Lex Luthor--this is when they were friends.</HTML>

Posted by: Becky Dowd (---.58.73.174.Dial1.Jacksonville1.Level3.net)
Date: May 06, 2002 05:07PM

<HTML>Got another reprobate - Sethos, the brother of Radcliff Emerson in the Amelia Peabody series, set in 1917 Egypt. Thursday would certainly feel the same ambivalance that Amelia feels and try to reform him. He could become a ChronoGuard and help Thursday's father!!!! Lord knows Sethos has fooled everyone in Egypt for years!!!</HTML>

Posted by: Sid (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: August 13, 2002 12:10AM

<HTML>I'm going to refer back to an older message posted here about Ivor the Engine by fay, which I hope will make you all smile. I am ahuge fan of Ivor and had (and still have in the bookshelf next to me) two books when i was younger. Luckily my parents both like dit as well and would read it to me when i felt ill. Now this cheered me up no end simply because of my parents accents-my mum is very bad at accents which was funny on its own but my dad as the true star of the show-he is Australian and had not been over for more than about eight years at the time and had a strong accent and little knowledge of a Welsh accent. From this I ended up being read Ivor with an Australian-Newcastle-German-Liverpool-Scottishand occasionaly Welsh accent. I just remembered this and thought that I would tell you of my strange childhood. sorry about this it is midnight and i should not be allowed to write to other people at this time of the morning.
Sid
P.S. I would like Thursday to stop Claudius and Laertes in Hamlet before they kill Hamlet and Gertrude.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.