New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Why Jasper started the Fforum
Posted by: all-american-cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2002 04:12PM

<HTML>After being a part of this "fforum" for quite a while now, I think I now understand why our beloved Mr. Fforde may have started it.

First of all, I'm sure it's nice to see what ilk of people become addicted to his books. (Uber-geeks, sci-fi dorks, net users with no lives, and lovers of semi-forgotten literature - you decide where you fit into those descriptioons!)

And secondly, it's a great way to get ideas for his next books. Now, wait, I'm not saying he'll "steal" any ideas from here, like Jon's Jeeves and Bronte Sisters stories, but it sure gives a great jumping off point! Gets the creative juices flowing! And our crazy nonsensical posts can also give Jasper and idea of what we'd like to see in future volumes. I find the idea of Jasper using any of our craziness rather flattering!

An lastly, I think this is such a great sociological experiment (see Bea & Ben's 100+ post long discussion) It shows how delightfully insane the semi-educated can be! What fun!

~Twila~</HTML>

Re: Why Jasper started the Fforum
Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: October 25, 2002 04:32PM

<HTML>I'm not sure I like the reference to the 'semi-educated'.....
I can be insane with all my education, thank you, and Ben too... we're uni graduates after all LOL</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 25, 2002 04:46PM

<HTML>I'm quite happy to be called semi-educated (I dropped out of college) and if Jasper was ever daft enough to want to use any of my stuff I should be honoured and flattered. Not to mention amazed.

If you ask me, though, the real reason Jasper set up the Fforum (and the whole site generally), was that he thought it might be fun. And so it is.</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: October 25, 2002 04:56PM

<HTML>I'm sure he's had a few (or more than a few) laughs at our expense :D</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: October 25, 2002 05:08PM

<HTML>I think we've all had a few laughs along the way. And for that, it's worth every penny (especially as I'm not paying for it...)

:-)</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 25, 2002 07:08PM

<HTML>Hey - I think it's a laugh round here too! As for being insane, why, thank you...

Sanity is the illusion of the truly mad.

To be honest, if I wrote I'd set up a site like this just to see what people made of my stuff...

Although in my case I'd ban Jon from posting anything funnier than I could come up with!</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2002 08:15PM

<HTML>I'll take that as a compliment, Ben......</HTML>

Date: October 25, 2002 08:28PM

<HTML>Meant as one, damn you!</HTML>

Date: October 27, 2002 09:32PM

<HTML>Actually. This is isn't a reason that Mr Fforde might have started the Fforum, but a reason for it being so cool...

If it wasn't for the Fforum, and the people who populate it, I probably wouldn't be writing at all. I'd written at uni for the student newspaper a couple of times before becoming marginalised in my final year (the editorial team became very cliquey), and then stopped writing. But after reading things that other people, especially Jon, have written, it really pushed me to try writing more often to see what I can do. Hence some (all!) of my crap on here, plus a few odd poems (I mean POEMS? - I haven't written poetry since I was a screwed up teenager!) and jottings lying about elsewhere. So the Fforum kicks some ass, and I bet sooner or later somebody writing here will write a proper book, and I damn well hope they let us know so we can buy it!</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 28, 2002 08:59AM

<HTML>Damn right Ben....I second that emotion totally. Being a very lazy bugger I need some spark to get me writing (the last time I did any was when I was courting my wife, part of which involved e-mailing stories and poems to her) and this Fforum has provided it. You never know what it might liead to.....</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.