New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Chapter 13
Posted by: Andrea (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 12, 2002 04:39PM

<HTML>Well my book is on its third reading, once by me and the other two by friends who've liked it so much they've bought their own. Today John who is in the middle of it asked where chapter 13 was, 'it's in the contents but not the book' he said, so we looked in his brand new copy and yup it was missing there too. I've just checked my hard back copy, no sign there either, so it can't be a blip in the paper back printing. I'm confused, has it been eaten, praps there is a book somewhere with all our misssing chapters in, I dunno, can anyone help?

Andrea</HTML>

Re: Chapter 13
Posted by: heartface (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 10:48PM

<HTML>Did you know that many hotels have had their room 13's stolen too!

I think this may be a conspiracy.......</HTML>

Posted by: Andrea (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 15, 2002 11:54AM

<HTML>Praps they get taken to another reality were all the 13's go....
So houses are numbered 13a 13b 13c etc.
Everything is sold in Baker's dozens .
and all books are 13 chapters long, with 13 pages to a chapter,

hmmm...
I wonder what happens on your 13th birthday...

Andrea</HTML>

Posted by: sassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: February 15, 2002 04:21PM

<HTML>I live at number 13! This is worr..............................</HTML>

Posted by: jlhedberg (---.dialup.tulsok.swbell.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 09:21AM

<HTML>Okay, I truly feel like a dork; I actually checked my copy for a chapter 13 and then realized that Ch 13 was supposed to start on pg 142 (blank) and ch 14 starts on 143 as listed in ToC
::rolls her eyes:: Veeehhhry funny, Jasper! Made us look ;)
JLH</HTML>

Posted by: dajohns (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: March 29, 2002 01:21AM

<HTML>I used to live at number 13 and I'm still living....I think!</HTML>

Posted by: embers8 (---.gte7.rb1.bel.nwlink.com)
Date: May 17, 2002 08:37PM

<HTML>ok, i'm reading this book in my english class and we noticed that too. we think it is going to come back in one of the sequals, meaning htat someone in one of the next books will go back and tamper with "the eyre affair" any other theories out there?</HTML>

Posted by: embers8 (---.gte7.rb1.bel.nwlink.com)
Date: May 17, 2002 08:37PM

<HTML>ok, i'm reading this book in my english class and we noticed that too. we think it is going to come back in one of the sequals, meaning htat someone in one of the next books will go back and tamper with "the eyre affair" any other theories out there?</HTML>

Posted by: Xerxes (62.30.192.---)
Date: May 18, 2002 12:44AM

<HTML>Perhaps we should start a hunt for this missing chapter?

*calls out*

Here, chapter chapter chapter, here chapter!</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (194.117.133.---)
Date: August 12, 2002 10:32PM

<HTML>Since we're on the topic of the missing chapter, here's a few of my points.

There's no chapter 13 in either book.

Both chapter 13s claim to be on page 142, although in the Eyre Affair it's a blank page and in Lost in a Good Book it's the end of the previous chapter.

In the first book, it's supposedly about the Church at Capel-y-ffin. Maybe it was too Welsh-sensitive and Goliath censored it?

In the second it's about Mount Pleasant. Perhaps it's another meeting with Aornis that she's yet to remember?

Anyone know anything else about these places?

I'm off to search google and see...

Regards,
Sarah.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (194.117.133.---)
Date: August 13, 2002 10:47AM

<HTML>Well I looked, and here's what I found...

The Church at Capel-y-ffin is the smallest church in wales. It's tiny, really. I've seen pictures. Very small.

There are hundreds of Mount Pleasants. Loads of towns in America called that, but since it's a UK set but (apart from Osaka and Wales <G>) I doubt they're relevant. There's even a winery called 'Mount Pleasant' - find it at www.mountpleasant.com belive it or not. I think to narrow that down I'd have to have a bit more of a clue!!!

Incidentally, if you put both strings in together you get lots of articles about horses. Hmm. Co-incidence? I'll have to get my entroposcope out...

Regards,
Sarah.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.