New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Updates
Posted by: charles ronayne (---.liv.ac.uk)
Date: October 28, 2002 02:17PM

<HTML>In case you don't check Jasper's homepage very often I would reccomed going to look at the new updated stuff. Its all good. Especially the haiku lot. Anyway peace. Charles</HTML>

Re: Updates
Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: October 28, 2002 03:37PM

<HTML>Hmmm I checked, but couldn't make much sense of it. Maybe because I don't have the faintest idea of what a haiku is... is it anything special then? supposedly written in that odd style?</HTML>

Date: October 28, 2002 04:11PM

<HTML>yeah its five syllables,
seven syllables
five syllables
So you imagine how hard it is to sort of make things fit, and make them make sense as well. Wel I duno I tried it when I was younger anyway and struggled so it may have just been me. Perhaps for people like Ben 'n' Jon might not be so hard.</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 28, 2002 04:12PM

<HTML>Haiku is very honourable and ancient Japanese poetry style. Only three lines per verse. Often only one verse per poem. Idea being, to condense image into as few words as possible. Sort of bonsai poetry. Much favoured by people who want to be poets but can't actually write poetry. Prefer limericks myself. Anyone got rhyme for Swindon?</HTML>

Date: October 28, 2002 04:20PM

<HTML>I think you're being a little harsh on the haiku, Jon. Its as much a form of poetry as anything else. One thing I did forget to add though is the fact that there is normally supposed to be a tremendous twist at the end, which is slightly lacking in the example. Thats normally why it is only one verse, otherwise you could have more twists than Swindon's double helix</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 28, 2002 04:37PM

<HTML>Apologies to all haiku masters. It wasn't the form I was having a dig at so much as the (mis)use of it by poetry poseurs....they'll likely be the ones who can't do the twist (like we did last summer).</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 29, 2002 12:15AM

<HTML>lol

Haiku has been much abused by people wanting to look more educated than they are... The problem is it's easy to write one that looks pretty plausible, but it's very hard to write one that's very good. I quite enjoy the challenge of writing to a set pattern as it makes me think a bit harder. But why do these people never bother with sonnets, one asks...

Limerick, btw:-

There was a young man from Swindon,
Who got a piercing made of tin done,
When his stomach went septic,
He went apoplectic.
He avenged on his piercer with stun guns.

Hmm, needs some work, but...</HTML>

Posted by: Karen (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: October 29, 2002 06:57AM

<HTML>But which page do you mean - the Jasper Fforde page I access hasn't been updated for months (and yes I have "refreshed"). Can you give a page reference please? Is it possible some updates aren't universally applied?</HTML>

Date: October 29, 2002 08:31AM

<HTML>Karen, you go to the main Jasper page (yes, I know it says it was last updated Sep 16, it's WRONG!!!! lol)
Then click on the 'Contents' tab on the left.
Then search for the latest dates on the list of things this site has (and be careful, it's not in any perceivable order either - chronological or alphabetical or anything... )

Jasper, can I suggest someone organised to, erm, organise the site?

(sorry, it's me and my organisation... I used to believe the 'last updated Sep 16' too until I found out better... )</HTML>

Date: October 29, 2002 08:34AM

<HTML>Hmmm I think one apology is in order. If you click the main Jasper page (jasperfforde.com) it gives the correct update date. It's just that I usually enter the site from www.thursdaynext.com, and that one gives the Sep 16 last update date.</HTML>

Posted by: Jasper (---.man.dial.ntli.net)
Date: October 29, 2002 09:51AM

<HTML>Point taken.

I've graded the contents so it is in chronological order, updated the 'Welcome' page and have my daughter putting together an index...

Fascinated by the Fforum posts - keep it all going - and Magda, I couldn't send you an email - it bounced back - so I took the liberty of placing your soft Pickwick on the 'Reader's Contributions' page - hope you don't mind.

Cheers

Jasper</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: October 29, 2002 03:17PM

<HTML>I don't mind a bit, Jasper -- in fact I'm terribly flattered. It was rather fun to discover it unexpectedly. Thank you!
And you're right, my yahoo and geocities addresses don't seem to be working, which means I should probably register with a different one at some point.

BTW, I've been enjoying your website(s) as much as I've enjoyed the books, which is saying something. And the Fforum is vastly entertaining as well.

-Magda-</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Peterson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2002 01:19PM

<HTML>Aaargh! I was also foiled by the September 16th virus! I could have been reading updates on the site for the last 1 1/2 months and didn't know it! Well, I'll just have to keep checking the Contents page from now on.</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Peterson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2002 01:54PM

<HTML>....or should I say ffoiled....</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.