New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Book covers
Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: October 29, 2002 08:45AM

<HTML>I was just browsing the site and the new updates when I got to the bookcovers page (downloads) (erm... book jackets... what's the right word?)

It's amazing what a cover can do... I simply *hate* the US versions... I don't think I'd ever buy them, or imagine what gems of literature they have inside, they just look like... erm... well... let's be nice... crappy old-fashioned boring books! That font! Yuck!
Are they for real?
Do all americans here on the fforum went and bought books with those covers? And not recommended by anyone? You're so brave!

Hmmm just noticed it says they're from the HB versions... I do hope you got PB with the good covers. So does it mean all HBs look like that? I knew there was a reason for me not to buy HB, besides the price and the lack of availability in here ;)

Btw, the dodo/mammoth in the UK are cuter than the australian ones ;)

Sorry if I was too hard.... I don't think I'm having a good day, lol</HTML>

Re: Book covers
Posted by: all-american-cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2002 03:50PM

<HTML>Well, Bea, you're right. The US covers pretty much suck.
TEA's cover was sorta interesting, but I tend to not judge a book by it's cover (do you think this phrase was created in America?! LOL) because you miss out on a lot of good stuff that way. We don't have the paperbacks out yet here. I think they come out in February for TEA at the same time the HB version of LIAGB comes out. I'll probably buy those though.

I currently have in my collection:
1 US Hardcover 1st Edition "The Eyre Affair"
1 UK Paperback "The Eyre Affair"
1 UK Hardcover 1st Edition SIGNED "Lost in a Good Book"
1 UK Paperback "Lost in a Good Book"

I bought the paperbacks so they could be read and re-read a zillion times and I won't feel bad if they get bruised. I'd like to keep my hardcovers in good shape. Plus I have bought numerous copies for friends and family. I think I might be single handedly helping Jasper procure contracts for more books!

I do think I plan on buying the US Hardcover of LIAGB plus the US Paperback of TEA. And then the Paperback of LIAGB when it becomes available. I'm also hoping to catch Jasper at a signing sometime when I can take all of my first edition copies to be signed. (And probably buy a few more for some of my other un-initiated friends, etc)

But, back to the covers. I love the UK covers because they actually show the humor of the stories and give you a little hint at what they're all about. The US cover of TEA makes it look like much more of a serious novel, not something as delightfully askew as it is in reality.

~Just my 3 cents worth! ~

Twila</HTML>

Date: October 29, 2002 04:21PM

<HTML>Oh and I'm also in the market for a signed 1st edition UK TEA...so if anyone knows of a reasonably priced one that isn't on Ebay! (outrageously priced!) please let me know!

Twila</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: October 29, 2002 07:17PM

<HTML>I'm not giving away mine :D</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: October 29, 2002 08:00PM

<HTML>In fact, I've not yet purchased TEA, although I'm planning to at some point.

The US hardback of TEA was lent to me, and a couple of other people, by a friend who suspected (correctly) that we would enjoy it. Upon learning that there was another book out, but it wouldn't be available here in the states until next year, I decided to mail order the UK trade paperback of LIAGB. So at present, my copy of LIAGB is in the custody of the friend who lent me the first book (which seems only fair), and is circulating to the same folks who've read the first one

And lest you think that all this lending is costing book sales, one coworker of mine has already bought the book and is halfway through it, and another has ordered it from Amazon.com. Another person who borrowed TEA before me and has also borrowed my copy of LIAGB is planning to get both books for her brother for Christmas. And I gave Jasper's name to at least 2 people at the Halloween party that Pickwick and I attended.

So yes, I think word of mouth is apt to make more of an impression here in the states than the covers, although I personally don't dislike them, and the dictionary entry back cover is fun.

Twila, I would suggest looking for a signed 1st ed TEA at:
[www.abebooks.com]
I just took a peek and while you can get a signed 1st UK ed. hardback LIAGB for about $25-$30, TEA is running from $175 up to $355 depending upon the seller, and what promo items/easter eggs are included. There's also an offer from Post Mortem Books to pre-order signed first editions of WOLP for about $28.

-Magda-</HTML>

Date: October 29, 2002 09:01PM

<HTML>Thanks Magda, I'm putting the bug in my hubby's ear for a great Christmas gift. He's always looking for something to get for me! Not sure he wants to spend $300 for it, but he might. Maybe if I'm a REALLY good girl, Santa will get it for me!

~Twila~</HTML>

Re: Book covers - Aust version - yuck
Posted by: Karen (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: October 30, 2002 12:04AM

<HTML>The Australian paperback version of both (one hot pink and one purple) are, in my opinion, not well-chosen.

They really strongly give the impression of being, so-called "chick-lit" - you know very lightweight stories about young women in the 90's/2000's and their amusing adventures in relationships. There's a place for those, slightly funny esapist stuff with lots of popular culture references - but they are also everywhere and people are sick of them. Seeing as this is so different to Thursday Next some people may be put off. When I first saw them I was put off and have had to say to people -"ignore the cover - they are good!" The Uk covers look much better from what I can tell.</HTML>

Re: Book covers - Aust version - yuck
Posted by: Terry Peterson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2002 12:46PM

<HTML>While I agree that I like the cover art for the UK version of TN1 better than the US version, there are some things about the US version that I like. First of all, it was the first version of either of Jasper's books that I saw on a bookshelf. Therefore, it's kind of burned into my brain as a "reference" for his work. Also, I really like the back cover with the dictionary page. It's like getting an extra mini-chapter of the book. I re-read it again after finishing the book to see what plot points I could locate.Of course, I have now seen all of the versions of the books, and I'm kind of partial to the UK hardcovers, with the small cartoons of the dodo and mammoth. While I like the artwork, I think that the more understated look of the hardcovers works better.

I now own the US hardcover of TN1 and a signed UK 1st edition hardcover of TN2 (with Goliath photograph insert). I will probably buy the US softcover of TN1 and the US hardcover of TN2 when they come out here. And like Twila, I'm hoping that Jasper's book tour brings him somewhere near where I live (Albany, NY area) so I can have him sign some books.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.