New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Thylacine
Posted by: Uwe (---.imb.uq.edu.au)
Date: October 31, 2002 11:53PM

<HTML>Pete & Dave's page quote the Thylacine to be "still the only carnivorous marsupial".
This is not true.
At the present the most popular one is the Tasmanian Devil. And there are heaps of small carnivorous marsupials on the Australian mainland and Tassi.
There are even extinct species of giant carnivorous Kangaroos reported.
CLONE THEM!</HTML>

Re: Thylacine
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 01, 2002 03:14AM

<HTML>I just want one of them sheep-eating parrots from New Zealand...</HTML>

Posted by: Anne (---.dc1-cache2.syd.dav.net.au)
Date: November 01, 2002 04:47AM

<HTML>Jon Brierley said that the Thylacine was also known as the "Tasmanian Wolf" this is incorrect it is known as the "Tasmanian Tiger" so-called because it had striped markings on its back.

There has been the occasional "sighting" of the Tasmanian Tiger even on the mainland, but they are considered extinct. There was some talk recently of trying to clone one but I have heard nothing about this since. Obviously it was not a great
sucsess!

Errol Flynn's (the actor) father is the man held responsible for the death of the last Tasmanian Tiger - just a bit of totally useless info!!!</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 01, 2002 09:51AM

<HTML>The Thylacine was indeed known as the Tassie Tiger, but, it WAS also known as the Tassie Wolf, since it looked rather like one. I can't confirm the Errol Flynn story, and since the last live Thylacine anybody saw for definite was called Benjamin and died in Hobart Zoo in 1936, I don't see what Errol's dad can have had to do with it. For more information about Thylacines there is a truly excellent site at www.naturalworlds.org/thylacine which has amongst many other things news of the cloning project.

Maybe Pete & Dave mean that the Thylacine is the only *large* carnivorous marsupial, or perhaps that it's the only one they've cloned yet?

Ben, I think those parrots (keas, are they?) actually only eat dead sheep.....although the image of a huge macaw carrying off a lamb while shrieking "Who's a pretty boy then?" is a beguiling one....</HTML>

Posted by: Pete and Dave's (---.man.dial.ntli.net)
Date: November 01, 2002 10:12AM

<HTML>Dear Uwe,

Thank you for your information regarding the Thylacine. You are quite correct and we have updated our site accordingly. We'd also like to take this opportunity to remind people that we still have 3 Thylacines still in stock, all of them V2.3s and all very kind and docile - the stories about Thylacines eating dodos are complelty unfounded.

++STOP PRESS++

Now in! Very latest V2.1 Giant Moas, direct from the ReGen™ Inc (NZ). These cuddly ex-giants of the New Zealand forests are shipping now and will be available only in limited editions. Not like the old V1.3s which were mostly emu, we confidentally expect these birds to be able to top the 3-metre size if given sufficient space and proper care and feeding. Class II keeper's licence required. Not sold to anyone under 35. Think Global act Local. Warning: If anyone offers you a Blackmarket Morlock, alert SO-13 immediately.

Pete

Pete and Dave's Dodo Emporium, Swindon.</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 01, 2002 01:33PM

<HTML>I got interested in the Errol Flynn story, and it transpires that Professor Theodore Thomson Flynn, his father, was Professor of Biology at the University of Tasmania. The Prof used to pay young Errol so much a head for collecting specimens of small marsupials (bettongs, apparently) but I can find no specific reference to TTF doing any work in the thylacine field. Still, the idea that he was responsible for helping reduce the Tassie Tiger population is by no means impossible.

Er - is there a SpecOps division dealing with Anal Retention, and do I qualify?</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 03, 2002 09:23PM

<HTML>For a cool review of the Thylacine's Decline and possible survival check out 'Song of the Dodo' by David Quammen - all about island biogeography and the book that determined the area of ecology I wanted to work in. It's a weird mix of travel book, popular science with a fair few patches of wit wrapped in for good measure.</HTML>

Posted by: Anne (---.dc1-cache2.syd.dav.net.au)
Date: November 06, 2002 05:54AM

<HTML>No Jon you do not qualify for anal retention, but if you'd like to you can share my anorak.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.