New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Guide to Perplexed non-Brits
Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 01, 2002 12:39PM

<HTML>More informative and entertaining sidelights on British culture in the TN series can be found now at [www.jasperfforde.com] . I've got up to Chapter Eight of TEA, and amended/corrected/expanded some earlier entries.

Thanks to Anne for reminding me about Tassie Tigers - I will amend the note on thylacines at the next update, and thanks to Bea for some help with Portuguese. Anybody else want to contribute, post here or e-mail me.

Jon</HTML>

Re: Guide to Perplexed non-Brits
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: November 01, 2002 04:12PM

<HTML>Extremely entertaining and useful as well. Thanks Jon! I have an interest in history, and read enough British fiction and watch enough British telly to get some of the references, but not by any means all of them, and not always with the same depth. And yes, we do have Thermos flasks in the states (or at least we did back when I used one to take Spaghettios to school).

FWIW, it looks like there's a closing HTML tag missing somwhere, since everything from chapter 4 onward is in boldface.

-Magda, who is relieved to know she's not the only one who gets curious about something and does an exhausitve Google search until she finds the answer.</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 01, 2002 04:40PM

<HTML>Thanks for the kind words Magda. I have enjoyed doing it, but in course of research have discovered loads of mind-boggling information that I can't use due to irrelevance. I mean who would have thought thylacines would lead to Errol Flynn? Mind you, what I really want to know about Errol is, is it true? And if it is, how big was it, exactly?</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: November 01, 2002 06:49PM

<HTML>lol!

Well, you could always start a new thread entitled "Mind-boggling but irrelevant information I've inadvertantly discovered" or something to that general effect.

I'm always amazed by some of stuff that pops up when attempting a websearch for something. Occassionally it's even information I wanted, but wasn't looking for.

In fact, just a couple of weeks ago I was searching for information on dodos (for this Halloween costume idea I had based on a character from a book I'd read recently) and I suddenly found myself here on the author's website, reading about Pickwick...

-Magda-</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.