New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
What have I done to my children?
Posted by: gill neal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2002 07:18PM

<HTML>My daughters both read TEA and LIAGB and they loved them.

We live in the heart of Thursday Next country i.e. 20 miles from Swindon, 3 from Leigh Delamare and quite a bit further away from Wales. I work in Devizes.

Now, there is a small hamlet (for want of a better word) called Pickwick not so far away. We pass through it every time I force them to go to Bath with me. When we reach it all I hear is Plock! Plock!..... (you get the picture) until we leave it, or all the way to Bath, or home depending which way we are travelling at the time.

I have also stumbled on a soft cuddly dodo and a dodo wall calendar in a mail order catalogue which I have been emotionally blackmailed into buying for them.(they look longingly and sigh alot at the afore mentioned items)

So now I have dodo orientated children. Mammoths beware!</HTML>

Re: What have I done to my children?
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2002 07:42PM

<HTML>Your daughters sound like well-adjusted and progressive children to me. Exposure to good books can only do a child good.

I wouldn't get them a mammoth, though; how about a thylacine? Apparently they are very fond of children, but will make do with dog food. Just don't show them any old Errol Flynn movies.</HTML>

Posted by: gill neal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2002 02:53PM

<HTML>Thanks for the tip! It looks like I've had a lucky escape, only the other day I was enthusing about 'Robin of Sherwood' and what a brilliant fight scene is in it, but who shouldn't see Errol Flynn movies, the children or the thylacine?</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2002 04:14PM

<HTML>The thylacine...see previous thread re thylacines for full unlikely story.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 05, 2002 11:55AM

<HTML>Ah, if you want to see a good fight scene, you need to watch 'The Princess Bride'. A swordfight the like of which you've never seen (unless you've watched the film, in which case you will have seen one... I'll shut up now...)

Besides, it's a fabulous film. Evil villains, dastardly Counts, true love, swordfights, the six-fingered man, the albino, the giant, the Sicilian, the fire-swamp...

watch the film. It's only a couple of quid on video. You'll see...</HTML>

Posted by: Anka_17 (---.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: November 08, 2002 09:21PM

<HTML>where exactly did you get the dodo and the calendar?
Anka</HTML>

Posted by: Gill Neal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2002 04:24PM

<HTML>Anka,

I got them online from a catalogue called Initial Ideas
www.initialideas.co.uk

but the Dodo Pad company has lots more on it's website:
[www.dodopad.com]

They have come and the dodo is sooooo cute : )

Dave, I know the film you mean, it was very good, no dodos though!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 12, 2002 12:19AM

<HTML>On a similar note to the village of Pickwick is the village of Nine Wells in Pembrokeshire, which always set my father off going "well, well, well" three times.

Interestingly the welsh version of the name is spelt wrongly on one side or the other of the roadsign - allowing the choice of "Naw Fynnonn" or "Naw Fynnnonn" (or at least something like this - it's been a while).

Is this the first recorded instance of texters mucking up a roadsign?</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 12, 2002 04:50PM

<HTML>No it isn't.....I know several examples of a sign that warns you of the presence of 'Elderley People'. Or can the mispeling vyrus get onto roadsigns?</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.