New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Meeting
Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: November 06, 2002 09:07PM

<HTML>Ben, he didn't see your ginger pics then ;)

Jon :) no, if that was private I wouldn't have posted here eheheh</HTML>

Re: Bea's Website
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2002 09:41PM

<HTML>Oh good. Actually I've just done a quick tour of your website A) cos I liked the look of it when I was there briefly this afternoon, but mainly B) so I could nick any good bits ...I'm thinking of doing one myself. Of course I haven't got all the posh kit for creating websites, so it'll be pretty damn basic, but even so I still need to know what to put on it. So I'm surfing round all my friends sites and seeing what they've done. What is a bit frightening is how much personal info some people put on their sites. There are nutters out there (I've met a few on the net, believe me) and yet some people just let it all hang out. One girl I know has everything up to and including her phone number posted. If that was my wife I'd be worried. I thought you had it about right, Bea; the site was friendly and gave me a good idea of who you are, but didn't give away anything you wouldn't want the net loonies to know.

One question, though. Do we call you 'bee' or 'bey-ah' or what when and if we meet you?</HTML>

People's lives online...
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 06, 2002 10:38PM

<HTML>To be fair, hidden away in the bowels of the net is my diary... And if you aren't doing anything with that girl's phone number...

I must second that Bea's website is well designed, even if I have forgotten the address. Oops.

btw, not knowing how I got somewhere is perfectly normal. I'm just worried now that you've got me confused with Jimmy, who doesn't even look like he knows how he got dressed this morning...</HTML>

The ballad of Swindon (book) fair
Date: November 06, 2002 10:56PM

<HTML>If Maggie and Mr Fforde do get booked in the same room, imagine the fun! I've got a top poet (one Mr Wilde, Deceased) to versify it for your edification:

We will not wear our scarlet coats,
For Labour flags are red,
And Labour flags were on the streets,
When we declared poor Maggie dead,
The poor, dead (hearted) woman whom we loved,
And who stalks the party dead.

<i><tt>We walked among the Tory right,
In their suits of shabby grey;
A blue rinse sat on many heads,
And false teeth, in grand array,
But I never saw so many look
So wistfully at the Daily Mail.

We never saw a bunch who looked,
With such a wistful eye
Upon that massive tent of blue,
In whcih Anne Widdecombe does reside,
And at every passing foreigner
They could not help but rant.</tt></i>

We walk with other souls in pain,
Who tread the Tory path.
And wonder if we'll return to power,
If Maggie's is the last laugh.
And a voice behind me whispered low:
"I really love the trial scene taken from Kafka"

More of this later, possibly.</HTML>

Re: The ballad of Swindon (book) fair
Date: November 06, 2002 10:57PM

<HTML>Sorry - note the two voices used. Didn't make that clear. Oops.</HTML>

names and stuff
Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: November 07, 2002 08:19AM

<HTML>Ben, [happybea.topcities.com] lol

Although I'm bored with it again... ehehe it hasn't been updated for ages and I can't remember if I even got Jasper there (shock! horror! go update it this weekend girl!!!!)
You can sign the guestbook though :)

Jon, that is a tough question. Let me see... all my portuguese friends call be Beatriz, but when I started going online I knew foreigners wouldn't really be able to say it (although I like when they call me Beatrice lol, it's pronouced something like Bee-a-trish, although the ish at the end is not exactly right... see?).
So I chose Bea. Now, the portuguese, faced with this, say Beee-ah, but I don't like it much, so the foreign way of saying it as Bee is fine with me :)
I still prefer Beatriz though ;)

Ben, I got the 2 people talking hint, but I'm a poetry philistine, so I couldn't quite get the rhythm or get the main point *confused* must be some english politics thing...</HTML>

Re: names and stuff
Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 07, 2002 08:47AM

<HTML>I particularly liked the idea of the question/answer bit on Bea's site, which I plan to steal for myself when I get a free hour to update the site (btw weren't you going to fill in my super-questionnaire, bea? ;-)

My site is largely about Eddie. But then anyone who's met him will verify that he is of the opinion that the whole world is largely about him too. Anyone wanting to see (his phone number isn't on there...)
[uk.geocities.com]

no guestbook as yet, cos I can't figure out how it works...</HTML>

websites
Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 07, 2002 09:45AM

<HTML>Memo to self. Do not leave address of Dave's website anywhere wife can see it. One look at Eddie and we'll be having 'the baby conversation' again (and I nearly gave in last time....OK, I was drunk). I'm too old for babies....</HTML>

Re: websites
Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 07, 2002 10:30AM

<HTML>reminds me, must put some wedding pics up on the site for my overseas pals who couldn't make the big day...</HTML>

Date: November 07, 2002 11:27AM

<HTML>*looks shyly at dave* yes I was supposed to fill it in... I will... one day... I've been so busy at weekends... :( well... I suppose it's :) too

Jon, I don' know what to tell except that if you love babies you're never too old for them. I love them in small doses lol, and anyway I dont think I'll chose a guy...... they're too awful LOL (present company excluded ;))

Everybody, yes, Dave's wedding pics are lovely... he's got a very lovely family :D</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: November 07, 2002 02:49PM

<HTML>Ahem, some people call you "Triz" as well...

At least I have an easy name to pronounce in any language, even though some people can't really roll the R's.</HTML>

Date: November 07, 2002 05:51PM

<HTML>lol Carla, it's ONLY you :D

(just imagine any foreigner trying to say that ahahahaha - they'd probably be saying a very 'ishy' sound ;))</HTML>

Re: stupid poem
Date: November 07, 2002 06:53PM

<HTML>Twas a rewriting of the Ballad of Reading Gaol (vaguely), and surely the fall and decline of the tories has got mentioned somewhere abroad....

Proves that I shouldn't attempt to write stuff late at night when panicking about starting my bloody PhD - I start Monday now! Hurrah!</HTML>

Re: stupid poem
Date: November 07, 2002 08:15PM

<HTML>You start monday? Hurrah indeed :))))))

Good luck :)
*hugs*</HTML>

Re: not stupid poem
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 07, 2002 10:30PM

<HTML>Indeed, Ben - good luck in Reading and Aberdeen, and stay in touch.

And Bea, are you aware that Portuguese developed as a separate language due to the influence of Celtic (Welsh) immigrants from Britain to Iberia? Us Celts can pronounce Beatriz, no problem. Mind you I can't roll my Rs. I fall over.</HTML>

Re: not stupid poem
Date: November 08, 2002 08:03AM

<HTML>It did????
Really?
Whoa!
You mean we are Latin mixed with Welsh? :D</HTML>

Re: Origins of Portuguese
Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 08, 2002 09:03AM

<HTML>Yes, indeed. It is believed by scholars that the reason why you all don't speak Spanish is because of the influence of Galician, and the reason why gallego is different from Castilian is because in the 5th and 6th cents. AD, the land that is now Galicia was colonised by people from Britain, who were fleeing Saxon or Irish aggression. Hence the name, Galicia, 'land of the gauls'. The Celtic language spoken by the immigrants (the same language, more or less, as that spoken by the ancestors of the Welsh) died out, but its influence on the local version of Latin was enough to set it off on a separate path, which, after migrating southward, eventually became Portuguese.*

So it is entirely possible that my ancestors (whether Irish or Saxon) chased your ancestors out of Britain. Sorry about that.

* yes, I know, what a swot. Dark Age Britain 400 - 1066 is 'my period'.</HTML>

Re: Origins of Portuguese
Date: November 08, 2002 01:10PM

<HTML>You just made a portuguese girl very happy :D

Carla, Carla, our language comes from welsh and has nothing to do with spanish :)))) we were right all along!!!! LOL</HTML>

My site
Date: November 09, 2002 05:16PM

<HTML>Ok, I'm proud to announce (although it should have been included right from the start, I'm very humbly sorry) that my site has now Jasper in my fave authors, the books in my books page, and a link to this site in the links page :)</HTML>

Re: TEA Ref Notes...Thanks!
Posted by: all-american-cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2002 10:20PM

<HTML>Jon, quite simply, YOU ROCK!

~Twila~</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.