New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Obtaining the books in US
Posted by: Bastet (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2002 02:41AM

<HTML>Having just read the Eyre Affair (and since I loved it so much), I was, of course, looking forward to the next book. However- it isn't coming to the US until March. Personally, I cannot wait that long for anything, especially while knowing that the second book is out and people have read it. I'm planning on ordering 'Lost in a Good Book' from England...any suggestions on the best place to order from?</HTML>

Re: Obtaining the books in US
Posted by: all-american-cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2002 03:18AM

<HTML>Either Post Mortem Books (see Jasper's info) or Amazon.com.uk Both are good, although, you may be lucky enough to get a signed copy if you order from Ralph Spurrier at Post Mortem. And he's a real gem to work with...a super nice guy.

~Twila~</HTML>

Posted by: Anne (---.dc1-cache2.syd.dav.net.au)
Date: November 08, 2002 07:57AM

<HTML>Bastet? An Egyptologist perhaps? Such taste, such discernment!</HTML>

Posted by: Liz (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2002 03:14PM

<HTML>LOL, just an aspiring one, I'm afraid. But someday...</HTML>

Re: walk like an egyptian
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2002 08:44PM

<HTML>Bastet...wasn't that the cat god? Good name for a cat. We used to call ours Cooking Fat.</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Peterson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2002 09:59PM

<HTML>Ebay always seems to have a selection at a wide variety of prices. You'll have to take the seller's word for it, however, if you want a signed copy.</HTML>

Date: November 08, 2002 10:00PM

<HTML>Ebay always seems to have a selection at a wide variety of prices. You'll have to take the seller's word for it, however, if you want a signed copy.</HTML>

Date: November 08, 2002 10:00PM

Date: November 08, 2002 10:01PM

Date: November 08, 2002 10:07PM

<HTML>Ebay always seems to have a number of copies at a wide variety of prices. You'll have to take the seller's word for it, however, if you want a signed copy. Of course, I would first recommend the booksellers noted above, since the end result is more money in Jasper's pocket.</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 09, 2002 02:51PM

<HTML>The cat Goddess- I thoiught she was called Bast?? Shorter, cooler, easier to shout when you hear a rustle like the steak on the table being got at.....</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 09, 2002 03:26PM

<HTML>bast?

i'm pretty sure it gets a second sylable when the cat's nicking the steak...</HTML>

Posted by: Bastet (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2002 04:16PM

<HTML>She is a goddess, often pictured with the head of a cat or just as a cat, but there are a couple others that have cat forms also (Sekhmet, Seshat). Bastet, also called Bast for short, is the goddess of joy, music and dancing and cats are sacred to her. I'm pretty sure that no one interfered with her in Egypt if she stole the steak.</HTML>

Date: November 10, 2002 11:43PM

<HTML>Sorry about the rash of posts the other day. My browser kept telling me that the messages weren't going through. In other words, I'm not drunk.

Terry</HTML>

Date: November 11, 2002 01:12AM

<HTML>Damn your eyes (does anybody know where/how this strange curse originated?) Mr. PSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm at work you rotter!!!!! Do you have any idea what it's like to read a crack like that and try NOT to laugh!!!!!

Next time Mr. PSD please preface any funny remarks with a warning. OK the spontaneity will be lost, but you have remember (OK you didn't know) that I work in a law firm and of course spontaneity and laughter are STRICTLY forbidden!!!!
So please keep that in mind next time you have the urge to be funny!!!! :-)</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 11, 2002 10:13AM

<HTML>I too work in a law firm and can confirm that laughter is strictly a no-no. Our library (where we used to work) had a fantastic curse for those who brought books back late:

A medieval curse:
"For him that stealeth a book from this library, let it change into a serpent in his hand and rend him. Let him be struck by palsy & all his members blasted. Let him languish in pain, crying aloud for mercy, & let there be no surcease for his agony until he sink to dissolution. Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the worm that dieth not, and when at last he goeth to his final punishment let the flames of hell consume him for ever and aye"
- From the monastery of San Pedro, Barcelona

The trainees (and partners) were scared of us librarians....</HTML>

Date: November 11, 2002 08:36PM

<HTML>Fortunately I (don't) work in a university.

Went in for my first day. Spent an hour meeting people, had a teabreak and went home again.... I actually spent more time on the bloody train!

Although in fairness the time on trains was increased due to the 'Ben Tymens One-Man Bermuda Triangle Effect' whcih basically states that any form of mechanised transport will fail when it strays into my region...</HTML>

Date: November 11, 2002 11:21PM

<HTML>Well Ben I feel better now. I have the same problem with public transport. I think there is a black hole somewhere along the Frankston train line or maybe some weird time vortex that sucks in any train or bus I want to catch and then spits them out again about 20 minutes later (late).</HTML>

Date: November 11, 2002 11:35PM

<HTML>Damn! I knew I should always travel with a beach ball! That explains it!</HTML>

Date: November 12, 2002 05:32AM

<HTML>Ben, you should buy yourself one of the new Goliath inflatable beach balls in convenient carry bag (patent pending). I never go anywhere without one.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.