New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Forgetting
Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 13, 2002 03:15PM

<HTML>maybe it's just me misunderstanding then. I thought the vetinari scene was amusing as Vetinari had actually attended the lessons, but been so successful at concealment that his teacher hadn't seen him (thereby putting him in the position of being better at it than his teacher).

It's wednesday afternoon and my brain hurts already.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2002 08:47PM

<HTML>Uh-uh. And the memory erasure gag is amusing because Mycroft has actually invented the device, but been so succesful nobody can remember him having done so.

Well, I thought it was similar. Maybe you have to have a warped mind...set my psyche to warp factor six, Mr. Freud!</HTML>

Date: November 14, 2002 09:44AM

<HTML>Aha! I see what you're getting at. Must re-read TEA and LIAGB.

Actually, with TEA and LIAGB and (soon, hopefully), WOLP, do you think our Jasper is trying for an anagram of some sort. You can nearly make BILL GATES (without the S, so maybe that theory doesn't quite work...)</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah H Egginton (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 01, 2002 03:22PM

<HTML>The same idea (that is, forgetting about memory erasure) is used in Mary Gentle's two "Orthe" novels, although with a rather darker twist. To quote Paul Darrow, there are no new plots. There are just an infinite number of new takes on all the old ones.

TEA + LIAGB = AGILE BAT. One for Spike, methinks.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 01, 2002 11:03PM

<HTML>You really had a slow Sunday, didn't you?</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 12:15PM

<HTML>No, Ben, I just type fast. ;-)</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 12:16PM

<HTML>A better anagram than I came up with.

What if you add in WOLP? what can you make then?</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 01:29PM

<HTML>Just a few... (amongst many at [www.wordsmith.org])

A two lip gable
A bagel tip owl
A patible glow
A two pig label

Or, and this is my favourite and rustic enough to be uttered in my home town:

A plowable git</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 01:42PM

<HTML>Oh yeah, and while we're on about anagrams, who happens to form the decidedly shakespearean

A SHAG RENTING HO

or the latest diet plan that's taking the country by storm:

A GO THINNER SHAG

or possibly a comment on contemporary societies fixation on drink:

NO GIN! HER AGHAST!

or sex:

He throngs again...

Posted by Rocket Drip Intestines</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 01:50PM

<HTML>here, I've just caught up with this thread, and can I just point out that while there may be an infinite number of takes on basic plots, Blakes 7 only ever used three of them...</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 02:05PM

<HTML>Three? Are you sure? I only ever spotted two...</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 02:28PM

<HTML>Not more TV prehistory, surely?</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 02:32PM

<HTML>I'm sure Sarah will tell you all about it (yes, Sarah, I've discovered your little secret ....what's it worth to stay schtum?)

Um, actually I always thought Avon was well cool. Mind you I was a teenager at the time.</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 02:42PM

<HTML>Lost on me...

Talking of nostalgia, they're going to release a remote control dalek to play with (some friends and I spent yesterday running round Hamley's upsetting the kiddies by playing with the toys their parents wouldn't let them touch...). You can also buy a radio controlled submarine, which seems like the coolest thing to scare ducks with, but how the hell do you know where it is?</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 03:48PM

<HTML>Hey, it's no secret - I'm a member of Paul Darrow's fan club and proud of it! (No, I don't fancy him. It was his wife who got me into it, as a matter of fact...)

Avon wasn't cool, poor chap. He was seriously messed up, and if he existed in real life I'd run a mile from him. But he did get some wonderful lines, and he's just great to write fan fiction around (especially alongside Vila - those two are definitely the Laurel and Hardy of televised SF). Paul himself, however, is totally cool, possessed of a highly mischievous sense of humour, and incidentally absolutely wonderful as Kaston Iago in the "Kaldor City" CD series. (If you can do self-advertising, Jon, I can advertise the marvellous work of my friend Alan! - find his site on www.kaldorcity.com, although considering you've discovered my connections I expect you've been there already.)

Anyway, I'd rather like to see Avon in the Fictional Big Brother thread, but just make sure you don't let him have a gun... :-(</HTML>

This is going to mean zilch in the US
Date: December 02, 2002 04:15PM

<HTML>Yes, and I thought Avon was cool <I>because</I> I was a teenager (aka 'seriously messed up'). In truth the (agreed, very wonderful) Paul Darrow was the only reason for watching Blake, rather in the manner that Tom Baker enlivened Dr. Who. I always thought it a shameless waste of talent that he never got offered bigger and better parts. He would be terrific as Richard III, don't you think?</HTML>

Re: This is going to mean zilch in the US
Date: December 02, 2002 07:28PM

<HTML>Richard III? Nah, he's too tall. He has, however, played quite a variety of interesting parts, ranging from Macbeth to Elvis Presley (no, I'm not kidding). Not so long ago he displayed even greater versatility when he appeared as CD in "The Strangerers". Just don't get me started on this one - there's not a great deal I don't know about the excellent Mr Darrow, and I don't want to bore the socks off everyone who's too young/trendy/American to know who the heck he is. But when they film Mr Fforde's works (and surely they must), I'd like to nominate him as Uncle Mycroft. I bet he'd love it...

Just one little question, though, Jon. Which branch of SpecOps are you in? ;-) And am I allowed to know what I'm being investigated for?</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: December 02, 2002 09:04PM

<HTML>Well, I'm American, but apparently not sufficiently young or trendy to be ignorant of Paul Darrow. I will concurr that he and Villa were the best characters on Blakes 7 (not that that's saying a great deal).

Of course, I could also confess to owning a ridiculously long scarf (knitted my first year at college) and a mock-up sonic screwdriver (non functional, alas). But then you might suspect that I was an SF geek.....</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 10:15PM

<HTML>Now feeling seriously under-aged...</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 03, 2002 08:04PM

<HTML>Ah, Ben, if only you were twenty years older... ;-)

This is all mildly embarrassing because I really had no intention of starting a Blake's 7 thread, much as I love the programme and am not ashamed to admit it. However, since we're discussing it, just one or two brief points:

1. I am not the only B7 fan in this Fforum. Hi to the other one, and when are you going to come out of the closet???

2. Everyone I know who is still a B7 fan is a) highly intelligent and b) a bit weird. So there must have been something in it. Note which one I put first...

3. Anyone who wants to know about the complex and very clever subtexts in B7 should send an e-mail to webmaster@kaldorcity.com enquiring about the subject. This will get you Alan Stevens and his equally clever girlfriend Dr Fiona Moore, who know everything there is to know about the subject, but be warned - once you get those two going, it is not easy to shut them up, especially Alan. (I can say that because they're friends of mine!) This is not a leg-pull. There really are subtexts. The Gan one is a humdinger.

4. I'm still looking forward to the inclusion of Avon and Vila in Fictional Big Brother.

5. Apologies, Magda! I'd temporarily forgotten the series was also popular in the States. And yes, I own an unfeasibly long scarf too.

6. I'm going to get Janet Darrow reading Mr Fforde's books if it's the last thing I do...

7. You never _did_ tell me which branch of SpecOps you were in, Jon. But if you want to interview Wilfred the penguin, I'm afraid he's too drunk right now. ;-)</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.