New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
meteor shower - off topic
Posted by: all-american-cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2002 10:24AM

<HTML>Hi all...just thought I'd brag a bit to all of you in Europe who didn't get to see the Leonid meteor shower due to that lovely fog that resembles pea soup.

We got really lucky here (near Washington DC) and saw some gorgeous ones. I had been checking all evening. The first batch, which y'all were supposed to be able to see, started around 11pm our time. Didn't really see anything then. We're battling a full moon, so it was kind of taking over the sky. But after going out every 1/2 hour or so, I got lucky around 4:45am my time. (which is why I'm posting right now when I really should be snoozing away!)

I didn't stay out too long because it's rather chilly here and I'm just getting over a terrible cold, but in the 15 minutes we (dear hubby and I) stayed out staring up into the clear night sky, I counted well over 20 very bright streaks and quite a few not-so-bright. And that's rather amazing we saw what we did because the moon was really lighting things up. Those streaks must have come from pretty sizeable pieces of space dust! I think we were one of the more lucky places on the East Coast because our weather was perfectly clear. North of us was pretty rainy and or fogged in and the West Coast was very rainy.

I'm feeling rather privileged to have witnessed such a marvel of the universe. I hope at least a few of you also got to partake...it really was marvelous!

good night! (taking cold pills and going to sleep!)

~Twila~</HTML>

Re: meteor shower - off topic
Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 19, 2002 10:29AM

<HTML>Hello...looks like there's an Earthcrosser in our midst!</HTML>

Date: November 19, 2002 10:48AM

<HTML>actually, just as I was getting ready to take my pill and hit the hay this time, my hubby called me upstairs and told me to poke my head out of the bedroom window. And WOW, there were a whole bunch of meteors streaking by! There were a couple that were so bright you could actually see them fizzle! I swear I could almost hear them! (probably cuz I'm so darned tired!) BUT...... That was WAY cool!

Anyway, desperately needing sleep now...

See ya!

[yawn, cough cough]
~Twila~</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: November 19, 2002 01:50PM

<HTML>As one of those further north, I can confirm that up here in Michigan it was (and still is) raining, so I didn't bother to go out (although I was awake at the correct time, albeit not intentionally).

-Magda who is also in need of sleep.</HTML>

Posted by: merlion (---.156ce.scvmaxonline.com.sg)
Date: November 19, 2002 03:01PM

<HTML>hmmm, and i thought bill (amend)had just gotten a copy of the eyre affair ...

[www.ucomics.com];

Posted by: charles ronayne (---.liv.ac.uk)
Date: November 19, 2002 03:53PM

<HTML>does that mean it was only showering in America? So a couple of drunk friends and myself stayed up until three o clock in the morning with a ten o clock lecture for nothing? *Bangs head against brick wall* Probably heard it on CNN. Oh well there is the power of global news for you.Sorry actually thast quite funny but I just wanted a little rant!! :-)</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: November 19, 2002 06:37PM

<HTML>Nah, you were supposed to be able to see them from Europe too, peaking at about 04:00 GMT. But if your weather was anything like it was here (overcast and rainy), you wouldn't have seen much.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 19, 2002 08:06PM

<HTML>No idea about the meteors, but I got lucky in a different way :D

(don't see why you should be the only ones to brag...)</HTML>

Date: November 19, 2002 08:28PM

<HTML>Ben,

Sir! Step away from the sheep!

8-D

(just "kid"ding LOL)

~Twila~

(still lacking sleep!)</HTML>

Posted by: charles ronayne (---.liv.ac.uk)
Date: November 19, 2002 08:48PM

<HTML>Funny but when I read that signature at first I thought it said still lacking sheep. Slightly disturbing although I am sure it's true. Or at least I hope it is. Then again its probably because I haven't got enought sh - sorry sleep. There was a massive argument over a block of cheese outside our block at three in the morning. I think the problem was more the fact that it was being chucked around rather than the extortionate price, though. Oh its all Baa-aalocks if you ask me. Anyway gotta go see a man about a sheepdog
Peace Out
Charles</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 19, 2002 08:57PM

<HTML>I told you! I was only trying to push it back into the field when my trousers fell down...

Interesting medical paper, btw:

"The transmission of Gonorrhea by inflatable sex aids'</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 20, 2002 03:36AM

<HTML>Who wants to have inflatable sex? Sounds painful.....</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.