New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Answers
Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 20, 2002 10:07AM

<HTML>Here are the answers to last week’s quiz;

1. The correct answer was ‘a melon’, but I am prepared to allow ‘sheep’. Only half a point for ‘inflatable’, I’m afraid.
2. This fooled a lot of you. The right answer was ‘George Bush’, and not ‘a fungus growing on a damp wall’ as many of you thought.
3. Bridget Jones’ Diary. The others are all works of literature.
4. A mixed response here. Some of you sent in the complete plans for building a DH-82 Tiger Moth biplane, some a list of all London Underground stations North of Gunnersbury, and nobody sent in the right answer, which was ‘Dralon’. Better luck next time.
5. This was a trick question, of course. The right answer was ‘Thursday Next’. A point off for anyone who said ‘Margaret Thatcher’.
6. Well, most of you got ‘Tony Blair’, correctly working out that Professor Moriarty, Count Fosco, Wackford Squeers and Edward Hyde are all fictional.
7. It takes five folk-singers to change a light-bulb. One to do it, and four to sing about how good the old one was.
8. The odd one out was ‘Jennifer Lopez’. All the others are vegetables.
9. The right answer was ‘Shakespeare’. Anybody answering ‘Freddie Mercury’ should seek help.
10. And finally, the third orc from the right was called ‘Mugluf’. Anyone who got this right is a very sad bastard indeed.

The prize, as usual, is an hours supply of Hobnobs. (About five packets in my case). And the winner was - Jon Brierley. What a surprise. Complaints, death threats, etc. to the usual address, please.</HTML>

Re: Answers
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: November 20, 2002 11:43AM

<HTML>Damn damn damn. I was misled by the folk singer question AGAIN!

Surely four folk singers is a toture beyond belief, and that really it needs one to change the bulb and one to stick a finger in one ear and sing about how a fair maiden would have done it better in her altogether...</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: November 20, 2002 01:00PM

<HTML>erm... answers to what?
what were the questions?
or is this another one of those games????

lol</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 01:01PM

<HTML>I assume that your score was a little on the low side again then Bea?</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 20, 2002 01:03PM

<HTML>You just can't get the staff these days.. Did you not get the memo?</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: November 20, 2002 01:06PM

<HTML>argh I now see what day it is today: another one of ben+dave+jon attack poor bea girlie
;)</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 01:08PM

<HTML>Oh yeah, one of those.... I'd forgotten about them...</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: November 20, 2002 02:19PM

<HTML>Nicely done Jon; a very nice summary of recent events in the Fforum.</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 02:28PM

<HTML>Is that what it was? You know, I did wonder......

(I'm very silly today, cos I've finally at the 4th attempt, sold my old house, and no longer have to pay two mortgages! Hurray! And we can now have a new car! Hurray Hurray!)</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 02:36PM

<HTML>Congrats! Paying only one mortgage is generally sufficiently aggrivating. Two smacks of martyrdom.

What sort of car do you have in mind? Are going to buy a speedster and paint it with reptiles?</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 02:47PM

<HTML>Er, no.....sorry. We have got a Skoda Felicia. I did lobby hard for a Speedster, but was told that since I wasn't the one driving the bloody thing, I didn't get much say. There was also the small matter of a £30,000 difference in price. (Look, even Jasper can't afford a real one. How the hell does Thursday manage it, d'you suppose?).</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 03:17PM

<HTML>Well, as I recall you did say that to live where she does, either the area's not as posh or she must make far more than we think. Perhaps it's the latter. Or she may have another source of income. Certainly a possibility if she gets her investment advice from her father.</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 03:21PM

<HTML>Hm. So why does she live in a grotty flat in Swindon, then? And do overtime for the Suckers and Biters? It's all very mysterious.....</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 03:23PM

<HTML>Perhaps her father forgot which timeline she was in the last time he gave her advice...</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 03:40PM

<HTML>Or, perhaps more likely, the key to the difference between her London and Swindon digs lies in the fact that she *did* buy the Speedster in the interim.</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 03:51PM

<HTML>This makes sense. Btw, I have started doing the notes for LIAGB, but it may be some time before they're finished......George Formby, god help us....</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 21, 2002 10:57AM

<HTML>Cars. eh? Don't talk to me about cars.

No-one mention the new skoda model of car. Ever.

I don't know, 20 bloody years of people calling you Olivia, October, Octovia, and now THIS.......</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: November 21, 2002 12:44PM

<HTML>At least you are a Car...

I had to endure quite a few years of lovely Bea (grrr) teasing me endlessly because some bright mind decided to call a shampoo "Miss Carla Shampoo" when I was little.

*sigh*</HTML>

Posted by: cunningly anonymous (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 21, 2002 06:13PM

<HTML>Was that a description of your insanitary attitude to hair washing then? :D</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: November 22, 2002 09:57AM

<HTML>No it was a description of my sisters inability to creative teasing that she had to resort to @#$%& TV ads</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.