New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fame Through Toast
Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 20, 2002 11:50AM

<HTML>The other day a BBC researcher e-mailed me to partake in a TV show about food- she wanted me to talk about toast (!) Apparrantly she saw something on this site I said about toast, and decided the BBC needed my input. I can't find *what* I said about toast anywhere on the forum now, paranoia sets in.
She spoke to His Jasperness first and said he was very nice. AND said she would read the books.
As I'm not back in the UK in time I won't be on the TV, but it still seems to me an odd thing, and I would check my entropy device but its the M&M version and I've eaten it all!
Still, the toast marketing board is getting cunning in my old age, she was a real BBC researcher. I checked............</HTML>

Re: Fame Through Toast
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: November 20, 2002 11:56AM

<HTML>I had that too...

I was wondering if it was the world's most original chat-up line, but realised this was highly unlikely (confimed TRUE by using a mirror...)

Thing is, I'm not even sure I've mentioned toast...</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 20, 2002 12:10PM

<HTML>Looking at some of the things that *have* been mentioned on the Fforum I think you both got off lightly. Personally I'm still hoping for some web-trawling researcher to offer me a years supply of Hobnobs.

What kind of programme would they have been researching for, anyway? 'And now on BBC Braindead, I Love Toast, a nostalgic look at hot bread products in the 1980's.' I suppose somebody's got to keep Kate Thornton out of the dole queue.</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 12:15PM

<HTML>Maybe it's for one of those awful top ten programs:

"Top Ten Toast Toppings..."

or it'll be like Eurotrash -"'Ow, do you eat yourz?"

or one of those car crash shows:

"Little did he realise that the golden crumbs hid a sinister white bread centre"

or Watchdog:

"Toast marketing: Watchdog investigates the hidden selling tactics used to fool gullible old age pensioners and then has a good rant at a director of a company who has no idea what we're talking about."

Btw, now that Anne Robinson no longer fronts Watchdog, is its title itself a breach of the Trade Descriptions act?</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 12:25PM

<HTML>TOASTRACK
Gruesome footage of bread being tortured horribly.

CONSUMER REPORT
The CEO of Toast International Inc. gets a grillling.

THATS TOAST!
Humorously shaped pieces of grilled bread. Today; a piece of toast that looks like a rude thing!

DELIA'S TOAST COURSE
The ever lovely Ms Smith tells us how to make perfect toast. Three minutes for the toast and twenty-seven minutes plugging whatever dreck they're trying to flog in Sainsbury's this week.</HTML>

Posted by: polly (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 20, 2002 12:25PM

<HTML>There is a recent publication called "Toast: Homage to a superfood". My local bookshop isn't sure whether to file it under "Cookery" or "Humour". I think the Toast Marketing Board may have something to do with it.</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 12:28PM

<HTML>apparently it's entirely serious

Which of course makes it even more amusing...

What does 'superfood' do anyway? Grill itself in phone boxes?</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 20, 2002 12:48PM

<HTML>the only superfood I'm interested in is SuperNoodles. They're ace. Especially on toast....</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 12:50PM

<HTML>Supernoodles are okay-ish - ideal student food anyway. Best thing is you can cram a pack into a kettle and boil them that way if you don't want to walk all the way to the kitchen from your room in halls.

The washing up is a bugger afterwards though...</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 01:53PM

<HTML>Maybe there'll be a radio version - Toast Match Special; where types of toast are matched to diferent toppings...</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 01:59PM

<HTML>The Toast Show;

Would you like some toast, sir? Would you? All hot and buttery and slightly firm on the outside, sir? Would you like jam on it, sir? I bet you give it your wife, sir, don't you, oh yes, I bet she gets it every morning, doesn't she sir, all oozing with butter, sir. Oooh. Suits you, sir.</HTML>

Posted by: polly (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 20, 2002 04:14PM

<HTML>Supernoodles on toast, eh, Dave? I see you're not an afficionado of the Atkins low-carb diet! (Speaking of which, is it too late to have an award category for most stupid diet-plan book?)

And Jon, take a cold shower immediately - you can wash up Ben's kettle at he same time.</HTML>

Date: November 20, 2002 04:16PM

<HTML>Sorry...I got carried away there. Must have been the effect of not writing all those rude words on the filk song....</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2002 11:15PM

<HTML>We have much more "interesting" breakfast food than toast, I think. PopTarts, Toaster Streudel, Honey Nut Cheerios (and more types of overly sugar sweetened cereal), Eggos Frozen Waffles, Carnation Instant Breakfast (a chalky, quasi-milk-like substance, usually chocolate flavored)...etc

However, there is nothing more comforting that hits the spot quite as well as a midnight snack of lightly toasted potato or wheat bread with a smear of sweet cream butter...perhaps with a great dollop of black raspberry jam. Grab a glass of moo-juice with that and it's off to sweet slumber land for me!

eh-hem...sorry...waxing quixotically

~Twila~
[leaving now to wander into kitchen to have some toast!]</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 21, 2002 10:55AM

<HTML>Did you know that if your pop-tart gets stuck in the toaster, it will, if taosted long enough, burst into foot high flames? Careful tests with (my freinds old) toaster prove that the strawberry ones burn hottest.

The food-related TV thing was all about Great British Food (apparently there is some somewhere) and the Toast was for the Comfort Food section.

Jon, not THAT kind of comfort..</HTML>

Re: Comfort Food
Date: November 21, 2002 11:16AM

<HTML>Well, it depends on what you're doing with the food. Personally I would find toast a little disappointing, comfort-wise, compared to say, chocolate. Or Pringles. And I wonder why I don't lose weight.

Incidentally, did you know that the only recorded use for a navel is that when eating celery in bed, it provides a handy receptacle for the salt?</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2002 12:24PM

<HTML>navels are also great for holding peanut butter for dipping your apples or celery. And it can be kinda fun when your S.O. cleans it out...but I digress...</HTML>

Date: November 21, 2002 01:07PM

<HTML>That's disgusting.

I ask you, peanut butter and celery! Ugh.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 21, 2002 01:52PM

<HTML>I've heard that the navel is also a good receptacle for tequila...</HTML>

Date: November 21, 2002 02:16PM

<HTML>Certainly sounds preferable to drinking the stuff....</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.