New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Weird stuff
Posted by: Sarah H Egginton (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: November 26, 2002 05:49PM

<HTML>OK. You're not going to believe this, but it happened. I've reported it to SpecOps but heard nothing from them. Maybe it's too strange even for them.

There I was, just minding my own business one Thursday morning (appropriate, methinks!), when there was a knock on the door and a postman appeared with a parcel. I thought this was mildly odd, but this was nothing to how I felt when I opened the parcel. Inside was a Liverpool FC football. Yes, the genuine article, all the way from Anfield. Well, I enjoy a good match as much as anyone, but for one thing I'm a QPR fan, and for another thing, it turned out to have been sent by a complete stranger. It was a Mr A Britten of Chiswick. If anyone in this forum knows him, it'll make the series of weird coincidences complete.

So I wrote to Mr A Britten of Chiswick, thanking him very much for his generosity, intentional or otherwise. I got a phone call from his father, who was another Mr A Britten of Chiswick, and who was just as entirely baffled as I was. He'd got my letter by mistake; it was an understandable error, because his son doesn't actually live at that address any more, though he visits regularly. He said he'd pass my letter on to his son and leave him to deal with it. I've heard nothing since.

Tell me, good people. Was I written by Mr Fforde? I am beginning to suspect I might have been...

All the best

Sarah</HTML>

Re: Weird stuff
Posted by: ??? (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2002 10:30PM

<HTML>A QPR fan, eh? Won't be driving Vauxhalls for a bit, then.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: November 27, 2002 10:57AM

<HTML>hahahahahaahahahahhaha!!!!!

Sorry, but it's a rare day for a Coventry fan to feel superior....

Talking of coincidences, and proving Thursday's Dad right when he says stop a stranger and ask them about their life, and sooner or later a too-good-to-be-true coincidence will pop out. I was donating blood yesterday and got chatting to a girl who came from the same village as one of my closest friends, whose father worked at the same place my other used to, and also fancied a drink together at some unspecified time...That's three coincidences then... (btw - does anybody else reckon a blood donor session is a damn weird place to try and pull?)</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: November 27, 2002 11:06AM

<HTML>No, any place any time :D

(life is short enough as it is....)

2 days till england yay
(do you know when you can meet me yet, Ben?)</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: November 27, 2002 11:30AM

<HTML>don't be stupid... :p</HTML>

a pint? That's nearly an armfull!
Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 27, 2002 11:45AM

<HTML>I suppose a blood donor session is as good a place as any...just avoid anyone called anything like Count Aculard.....</HTML>

Re: a pint? That's nearly an armfull!
Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 27, 2002 11:52AM

<HTML>Yeah, you have a *better* chance of pulling at a blood-donating session- the object of your affections will be a little light headed afterwards, and you can always try and persaude them that's actually the feeling of True Love/Lust (delete as applies. Plus you know they're obvisously a nice decent person for donating their blood anyway (or they just like needles)</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: November 27, 2002 12:18PM

<HTML>I have to say I'd only got as far as flirting with the nurses on my previous
visits but I'll give it a whirl next time I'm giving blood...</HTML>

Posted by: polly (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 27, 2002 01:42PM

<HTML>Ben! A Coventry fan???? Well, someone has to be, I suppose. Next, you'll be telling me you can find your way round the ring road there!

(It's my old home town)</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 27, 2002 06:26PM

<HTML>Blame the parents, and yes, I can navigate the ring road... Helped by many rugby matches against various schools there.</HTML>

Date: November 27, 2002 08:36PM

<HTML>That would account for my being navigationally challenged. We never played rubgy at my school, only netball and hockey.</HTML>

Date: November 27, 2002 08:47PM

<HTML>I've got loads of family there too, which helps. I wish they'd hurry up and finish building that bloody cathedral though - I mean, how long does it take to put a roof on?

(Allegedly true story - a German tourist made the mistake of asking somebody I used to go to foootball matches with where the cathedral was. His reply? 'Well you found it in the f****** war on your own - you can find it now...')</HTML>

Date: November 28, 2002 06:17PM

<HTML>LOL! I seem to remember hearing that one before. Just to date myself, I was at the consecration of the New Cathedral - I was the representative from my infants' school! No, I don't remember the consecration of the old one, before you ask <g>. I've always preferred its ruins to the New one though.</HTML>

Coventration
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 28, 2002 07:33PM

<HTML>You should both read 'To Say Nothing of the Dog' by Connie Willis, if you haven't already - Coventry (old) Cathedral features heavily.</HTML>

Re: Coventration
Date: November 28, 2002 10:21PM

<HTML>Actually, Radio four's 'Sense of place' did a programme called 'Sent to Coventry' a few months back - and they'd managed to find some guy who lived in Melbourne (down under version) but couldn't wait till he could retire to Coventry...

Truly the world is a wonderful place...</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.