New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Songbook stuff...
Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2002 06:58PM

<HTML>Do you suppose that any future songbook entries could be prefaced by the name and performer of the song being parodied? or at least maybe put it at the end for those of us who are lyrically challenged? (Not to mention, some of us may not be familiar with the song in the first place. At least this way we could have a chance to look it up or listen to a snippet on one of the music websites!)</HTML>

Re: Songbook stuff...
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2002 07:55PM

<HTML>Well, to recap, we've had so far;

Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
Generic rude folk song, no specific original
Tidings of Comfort and Joy, bawdy soldier's version
American Pie, Don Maclean (NOT Madonna, Godammit)
Parklife, Blur
Don't Look Back in Anger, Oasis
Maxwell's Silver Hammer, The Beatles (Abbey Road album)
I Will Survive, by don't know, don't wanna know
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, Paul Simon
Sit Down, James

Future offerings may include;

Take the Skytrain (The Duke Ellington Orchestra)
A Foggy Day in Swindon Town (George & Ira Gershwin)
The Ride of the Havisham (Wagner)
As Time Goes By (Dooley Wilson and the ChronoGuard)
The Taff Boat Song (Welsh Red Army Choir)
Wuthering Heights (Kate Bush feat. MC Bowden Cable)
Thursday On My Mind (The Easybeats)
Thursday, Thursday (The Mamas and the Papas)
Do You Know The Way to Hay-on-Wye? (Dionne Warwick)
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (A. Hades)
If You're Going to Merthyr Tydfil (Scott Walker)</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: November 26, 2002 08:57PM

<HTML>erm, Jon, you're showing your age ;)

LOLOLOL
(thanks for James, Blur and Oasis though ;))</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2002 09:28PM

<HTML>Excuse me, I can't help it if they wrote better lyrics in the th'olden days than they do now. Incidentally, am I the oldest one here among all you babies? (42, since you ask, which makes me older than Jasper, even).</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2002 12:35AM

<HTML>OoooOooooh...you are old! [wink!] (I'm 33!)

~Twila~</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: November 27, 2002 08:13AM

<HTML>No they didn't write better lyrics, you're just looking in the old places now!

And I think so, I'm 32, Ben's 21, Carla's 29...</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 27, 2002 09:26AM

<HTML>and I'm 31, for the next month and a half at least....</HTML>

Posted by: charles ronayne (---.liv.ac.uk)
Date: November 27, 2002 10:35AM

<HTML>How about All Along the Skyrail (Jimi Hendrix)? Or if you want more modern stuff, Girl from Swindon (Ash) If You Tolerate This Then Your Baby Will Be Next (not Prake-Laine) (Goliath and the Manic Street Preachers) or even Thursday singing "If You Dont Want Me To Destroy You" to Acheron (originally Super Furry Animals).

If you dont want me to destroy You
Take a leaf out of my book
Turn it round and have a look
Because I dont want you to destroy me
I'll commit myself to be
Stuck in this unknown story

Well it sounded good to me anyway!</HTML>

Date: November 27, 2002 11:08AM

<HTML>"If You Tolerate This Then Your Baby Will Be Next (not Prake-Laine) (Goliath and the Manic Street Preachers) "

Oh Charles I love this one!!!! :)))

(dave I'm also only 32 for the next 26 days ;))

(and I mean, Jon, you're looking in the 'wrong' (not old) places)</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: November 27, 2002 12:24PM

<HTML>I'm 33 as well.

Don't put the song titles at the top. It's like beat the intro.
Trying to guess the parody before you reach the chorus.</HTML>

Date: November 27, 2002 01:00PM

<HTML>I agree with Rob, better wait until somebody asks :)</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: November 27, 2002 01:04PM

<HTML>I'm just starting to worry about the requests that are starting to flood in...</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: November 27, 2002 10:09PM

<HTML>FWIW, I'm 35 - approximately Thursday's age (although I was born on a Wednesday).</HTML>

Posted by: charles ronayne (---.liv.ac.uk)
Date: November 28, 2002 12:13PM

<HTML>Nice to know that I am the baby of the bunch by a good long way then. 18. What were you lot all doing at 18? I doubt it was sitting at a computer wearing an "I love my Dodo"/"Ich Liebe Mein Dodo" T-shirt. Oh how times change. Still the one good thing is that I still have a few years to try and become as well read as you guys! Still, gotta try and get through the Odyssey before Wednesday for some seminar first.
Charles</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: November 28, 2002 12:27PM

<HTML>OI! What do you mean a 'good long way?' Impertinent little whippersnapper... in my day we had respect for our elders.

Although my tender years were fuelled by significant quantities of alcohol, I can still remember bits of it. Fuzzily. In fact, about three years ago I was probably still laughing about being caught in a fire drill. In the snow. In an all-female college. At four in the morning. Dodo's had very little to do with it, alas - I would have been wearing a borrowed pink dressing gown.

I don't feel terribly well read compared to most of the people here either, so I guess there might be an age thing in that....</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: November 28, 2002 01:47PM

<HTML>Age is a factor, but rest assured there are plenty of people as ancient as myself, (or even Jon), who aren't at all well read. In fact, I've met people who would never consider reading for pleasure.

When my best friend and her husband moved house recently, one of movers asked her "Have you actually read all these books?" in astonishment. Yes, in fact they have read them all, plus many many others which were borrowed from friends (myself included) and libraries, and others that have since been given away.

Movers hate bibliophiles.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 28, 2002 01:53PM

<HTML>Ain't that the truth. When I first got married we lived in a tiny little house, which was alright when it was just me, but add a wife, all her furniture, and two dogs and it became a running battle between her and the books for lebensraum. When we moved we packed 64 boxes. 31 of them were books, and I was reluctantly persuaded (hammers were involved) to part with some of them. I now for the first time ever have enough bookshelf space for all of my tomes, and even a little to spare. I'm working on filling it, hampered only by lack of money.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 28, 2002 10:18PM

<HTML>I made the mistake of discovering those @#$%& penguin classics, as well as Oxfam bookshops - and I'll quite often buy ten books in one go. Problem for me is deciding which books to read as I've picked up quite a few prejudices along the way. It's at times like this I realise that I'd probably had been better off studying literature.</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 29, 2002 11:40AM

<HTML>Reminds me of when my parents last moved parishes. We'd been in one of the last old big vicarages for 10 intensive family years, and were going to a reasonable sized (ie "only" 5 bedrooms) modern one, and it was *hell* packing! The only thing we packed ourselves were the books, we had, apparently over 10,000! Theology does that to you. And fitting them all in the new house was hard- we didn't buy wallpaper, we bought bookshelves.
And, as I know to my shame, studying literature doesn't always mean you read the damn books- just the useful bits</HTML>

Posted by: Rob Johnson (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 03:41PM

<HTML>I agree.

Lots of the people I know who studied literature, no longer read for pleasure.
It seems wrong somehow but as a maths student I was as well read as most
of the English students.</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.