New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Figured as much
Posted by: arlene green (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 16, 2002 09:49AM

<HTML>Ya know...I read to page 241. Roughly around the time that they were trying to figure out who the hell Dr. Muller had turned himself into to avoid annoying questions.

I must interject here to say that this isn't my kind of book. I'm more the Asimov type or in a light mood the Pratchett type. I don't get hooked on the in betweens. But I got hooked on this.

Figures. Well, figures after I turned to the last page. Well the last jacket page. Jasper is a fucking Welshman. He has my dad's sense of humor and that thing about pushing his sleeves above his elbows.

What is a girl to do?

My only defense is to repeat to myself that there is no way that "Fforde" (with two "f's") is a real name. Not even the Welsh have held onto that kind of redundancy in consonants in the modern age. Except for the real whackaloons and the patriotic and I'm sure that our Jasper is neither.

Course I was sure my 4th child was a girl and he still has that embarrassing third leg so what do I know?</HTML>

Re: Figured as much
Posted by: arlene green (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 16, 2002 09:51AM

<HTML>Didn't see the email thing 'til too late. Be so kind as to respond to this instead of my ramble above. I will know you were reading that way.</HTML>

Posted by: Janet Lloyd (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 11, 2002 09:37PM

<HTML>Replying to Arlene, and to the assertion that only the Welsh 'real whackaloons and the patriotic' maintain two Ffs in names, can I but remind you that the wife of our esteemed former leader of the Conservative Party is named Ffion. Now she is patriotic - I knew her once but that was in another country - but a whackaloon she is not. And Ffion is still a popular Welsh girl's name.

Also, and as a good cymraes (Welsh woman) I hate to admit it, the Ff is not solely a Welsh attribute - there are a number of English surnames which begin Ff , including Ffoulkes, Ffoolkes, etc.

Love the book!

Janet</HTML>

Posted by: Kevin Wilkins (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: July 12, 2002 03:20PM

<HTML>And anyway neither of the Fs are redundant in Welsh. Ff and f are not the same letter, a single f being pronounced in the same way as a v in English.

The book are indeed ffab.

Kevin</HTML>

Posted by: tajmahal (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2002 07:07PM

<HTML>Asimov?

Pratchett?

Were you under the impression that Mr. Fforde is writing, dare I suggest it, <i>Science Ffiction</i>?

He may be in the loosest sense of the phrase, but I can see no appeal in his books to most sf readers - after all, his alternate reality is less of a Major Plot Device and more simply a background to place his stories into. But peculiar worlds do not sf make.</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2002 09:55AM

<HTML>How can Ffion not be a "whackaloon" when she married *William Hague*????????? She'd hav had more fun marrying a nice welsh lad.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.