New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: more eighties madness...
Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: November 28, 2002 03:25PM

<HTML>no it's a very basic DVD ( i thik it was only 4.99) no extras at all</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 28, 2002 04:01PM

<HTML>Um. I'll give it a miss, then. Being more than a bit deaf, I like to watch with subtitles, which are often provided as an extra on DVDs.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 28, 2002 10:14PM

<HTML>I would be watching DVDs on my shiny new computer with surround sound and all the trimmings - if the fucking moron who put it together had remembered to fit a sound card... Dammit! How the hell could they have forgotten it? Irt's not like a soundcard is an optional extra these days...</HTML>

Date: November 28, 2002 10:22PM

<HTML>oops - thought it'd cut out the swearing there - obviously the Bowlderising software has gone AWOL.

Wonder if it's related to the chimp who put my pc together?</HTML>

Date: November 28, 2002 11:10PM

<HTML>Have now set up my computer, rather than the babbage differential device I was suing before, and apart from the soundcard the monkey did a good job!</HTML>

Computers
Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: November 29, 2002 08:11AM

<HTML>I'll probably buy a new comp for home, not a laptop though...
I have a laptop at home and a desktop at work: now they're going to buy me a laptop for work, and the one at home is old, always breaking down, connections and all, and I don't really need a laptop at home (except to keep it in the dining room table in the living room... the desktop will have to go in the spare room... erm...) so I'll do it.

Can I ask your ideas on what I *definitely* have to ask for in this new comp?</HTML>

Re: Computers
Date: November 29, 2002 09:13AM

<HTML>Hmmm. How many Euros do you want to spend? And what do you want to do with it once you've got it?</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 29, 2002 09:15AM

<HTML>I got my computer and it was missing a modem... I phoned tech support who said they'd have to check with the salesman who sold me it. I replied that I had the order form in front of me and could give them the reference numbers - it definitely had a modem on the list. Nope, they had to phone monkey who sold computer.

an hour later, I get a call back. Ah, yes, you did order a modem (err, yes...), and they'd send one to me.

a. how the heck did the guy who sold me the pc remember that he'd sold me a modem?
b. why couldn't they check their order system to see what I'd ordered?

I won't even go into the conversation I had with tech support when I tried to install it....</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 10:46AM

<HTML>Jon, Ive been checking around and it seems the average cost is 1000 euros.

I dont like the fancy games much, so no need really for top of class graphs or screen... normal (better than the one I have for sure), I might be tempted later to get a scanner for my pics... (don't have digital camera)
Basically it's for net, excel, word, access (ok, all office)... I think I'd like a dvd (because I'm not buying one in the near future) and it has to have a cdw... and sound...

Dave, tech people are sooooo awful! I mean, they get stupid questions, but sometimes we get the stupid ones on the other side of the phone line *roll eyes*</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 11:32AM

<HTML>Bea; It might be worth investigating some bundling deals at PC World (or the Portuguese equivalent - for God's sake don't buy anything in or from the UK unless you want to be seriously ripped off!) since you can get things like (@#$%&) cameras and scanners chucked in as part of the deal. I think a DVD might send you a bit over budget, though.

Basically any PC with a Pent III chip (or equivalent - i.e at least 1 GHz processing speed) at least a 20GB hard drive, and a minimum of 256MB SD-RAM memory will do you the business. I don't like Compaq much, because of all the poxy software they insist on installing (and because the last one I used went very weird) but there isn't much to choose between (reputable) makes. I use a Medion with a Pentium 4 chip, 55 GB drive, running Windows XP, if that means anything; it seems to work OK.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 29, 2002 11:52AM

<HTML>I've got a gateway, and am v.annoyed. I was going to upgrade the motherboard and processor, but have discovered that the way they link them to the case means that you can't just pop in a new motherboard as the cables to the on/off buttons and stuff won't plug into the new board.

So I need a new case too. Another 60 quid. Poo.</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 12:39PM

<HTML>"the one at home is old, always breaking down"

you have got to be kidding!!!!!!
My laptop (normal pentium from 1998) is still working perfectly and I can even play Age of Empires 2 on it.</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 12:47PM

<HTML>bea, if you get a new computer i'll take that laptop off your hands, we can do a deal on it...</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 01:00PM

<HTML>ok Carla, we'll talk about it...
Remember that it's from 99, not a pentium (some other similarity) and I didn't chose what was going in it...</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 06:24PM

<HTML>Update: The soundcard is now sorted, but it's not working in a new and inventive manner that tech-support refuse to believe is possible....</HTML>

Date: December 01, 2002 08:52AM

<HTML>Have jsut discovered these flat screen jobbies make it all worthwhile - they don't muck up the radio so I can listen to the cricket while I type. Now if we could just get a decent England team....

And Dangermouse, I now find having failed to resist the urge to buy one of the DVDs, is even more Nextian than I realised. The bad puns, the slightly overambitious villain, people mucking about with the time stream.... It even sends books up - The Planet of the Cats, whilst initially sending up Planet of the Apes, actually has Greenback as Big Brother 1984-style. Scary...

btw, I'm currently listening to the loss of yet another England bowler with Alex Tudor's brave attempt to save his wicket by heading the ball... Are they the latest replacements for Phodder and Cannon? Figure that I might as well reveal my frustration before any of the Aussies feel the need to boast. Is it actually worth it though, with the ineptnesss of the opposition? Surely it'd be more fun to play really badly for the first two tests, just to tease us?

We're not letting you have the Ashes mind - you can pay to see them in the museum like everybody else...</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.