New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
American Literature 101
Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 28, 2002 02:48PM

<HTML>from The Scum Also Rises (by Ernest Flemingway)

Jack Schitt was sitting in the bar. It was a good bar. He had a whisky. It was good whisky.
“Goddamn, this is good whisky,” he said.
His half brother Brik came in.
“Have a whisky,” Jack said. “It’s good whisky.”
“Goddamn,” said Brik. They drank.
“Damn this Thursday Next,” Brik said.
“Yeah, goddamn her,” said Jack. “I’d like to make the earth move with her, though.”
“Yeah, that’d be good,” Brik said.
“Goddamn right.”
They drank some more.
“Where is she?” Jack said.
“I don’t know,” Brik said. “Maybe she’s dead.” Jack thought about this.
“Goddamn, no,” he said. “She’s not dead.” Brik took a drink.
“How d’you know?” he said.
“I feel it,” Jack said. “She’s somewhere.”
“Goddamn it to hell,” Brik said. “I saw her go into a book.” Jack looked at him.
“Into a book?”
“Yeah, right into a goddamn book.”
“Which one?”.
“Damned if I know.”
They drank some more whisky.
“If we knew which book she jumped into, we could maybe find her,” Jack said.
“That sentence was too long,” Brik said. “This isn’t Henry goddamn James.”
“Sorry.”
“Damn right.”
They sat drinking. The whisky was still good.
“Even if we knew,” Brik said. “Goddamn Prose Portal’s broke.”
“Goddamn Mycroft.”
“Goddamn right.”
“The thing is,” Jack said, “She’s a woman.”
“She’s a goddamn woman all right.”
“Who knows, with a woman?”
“Yeah.”
“I don’t know.”
“Damn, no.”
“A gun, you know.”
“Damn right.”
“You can know a gun.”
“That’s so.”
“But a woman - ” Jack shook his head. “Goddamn,” he said.

They drank some more whisky. Whisky was good.</HTML>

Re: American Literature 101
Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: November 28, 2002 03:45PM

<HTML>
without visible effect, Bea puts both her hands in front of her mouth, trying to muffle the irresistible sound of laughter that grows inside her...
and not for the 1st or 10th time, she thanks the people who decided she should have a separate office, even though with windows and open door...</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2002 03:16AM

<HTML>Hey Jon, can you do something on "The Old Grammarsite and the Sea"...that'd be cool.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 30, 2002 10:03PM

<HTML>Listen, don't push my Hemingway too far. I gave up reading him very early on in the first book of his I opened.....</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 30, 2002 10:52PM

<HTML>I read 'For whom the Bell Tolls' by mistake. I thought it was going to be about the eternity of double history on a Friday afternoon and the ageless "It's a signal for me, not for you" excuse to allow an extra five minutes after the weekend should have started.

Which UN statute makes this obligatory for every shoolchild to experience? Was there some confusion between the UN inspection teams and OFSTED. I can just imagine them in Iraq now:

"Progress has been made in the teaching of chemistry, with an equal oppportunity multiple warhead delivery system adding greatly to the community ethos. Religious instruction remains weak except in specific areas. Physical instruction needs more emphasis on teamwork with the wider international community. It should be noted that hide and seek is not a recognised sport. Physics seems to be concentrated on projectiles and nuclear physics, which the inspection team finds disturbing. In short, this is a failing school, although planned developments by the Western Powers should turn it into a beacon, burning brighly. This will add greatly to pupils understanding of anatomy, particularly after cleaning up after the bombing raids."</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.