New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Just when you thought it was safe to go back onto the fforum...
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 29, 2002 12:35AM

<HTML>I have a feeling this will require another apology, but I don't care. Again, put your handbags in a neat pile and enjoy.....

The plots surprising,
Metaphors are getting low.
According to all bookstores,
The page is the place to go.
'Cause tonight for the first time,
Around about half past ten,
For the first time in history,
I'm joining jurisfiction.

Jurisfiction! Hallelujah!
Jurisfiction! Amen!
Going to jump into a page, Gonna get myself script'd,
Those textrunners are going to get whipped!
Jurisfiction! Hallelujah!
Jurisfiction! Every plot's a gem,
Romances, histories,
Plays and poems, biographies!

God bless all the authors,
For giving us all our work to do!
They give us our pages,
And leave us all the bloopholes too.
We'll fight Bowdlerizers,
And the Baconian curse,
Though we hate reading Farquitt,
You've got admit that Tom Holt's worse...

Jurisfiction etc...

And you know the worst bit - I didn't even have to check the lyrics.

Ooh deary me....

<i> For the musically dumb/stupid/Bea the burnt out joyridden wreckage was formerly 'It's raining men' by the Weathergirls. NOT anything to do with that god-awful Halliwell thing </i></HTML>

Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go back onto the fforum...
Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: November 29, 2002 08:14AM

<HTML>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

I don't like you calling me musically stupid and dumb grrrrr

*sulking Bea* I KNEW that Ben!!!!!!

And for the record, I can only remember the music for the chorus</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: November 29, 2002 09:08AM

<HTML>I think Ben was saying that it was for either
a. the dumb
b. the stupid
OR
c. bea (who is neither a. or b.)

;-)

of course, I could be wrong...</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 29, 2002 09:11AM

<HTML>In defence of Ben can I point out that musically stupid, dumb, and Bea were three separate categories, not necessarily of the same moral equivalence. Could have been better phrased, though.....

What I what to know is, by what skewed conceptual compass (posh prose) is Geri Fattiwell any worse than the Weathergirls? They both make me shudder to an equal degree.....</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 10:53AM

<HTML>Thanks guys, now re-reading Ben's words I realise that... it was too early in the morning, I suppose ;)

Jon, I suppose the Weathergirls have an excuse: it was the 80s ;) (I see pics of my teenage years and the clothes I wore and I shudder.... same for some of my musical tastes LOL)</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 11:10AM

<HTML>Well, I can safely look back on the 80's without embarrassment, 'cos I wear the same clothes now that I did then (and in the '70's, for that matter). Say what you like about scruffy jeans and a t-shirt, it doesn't date.

And as for music, I still listen to all the stuff I liked then and I still like it now. It wasn't fashionable then, and it ain't now, so why would I worry? Mind you I don't listen to music much these days, thanks to the cursed deafness; I can only listen when I'm having a 'good day', and even then I have to turn the volume on the headphones up pretty loud, and I'm scared of doing that too much in case I damage my ears even more. It is a bugger.

(Um, when I say I wear the same clothes now as I did then, they're not actually the *same* clothes, as such. Most of them aren't, anyway.)</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 11:17AM

<HTML>Lol Jon, but the 10-year difference between us do make a difference: I don't mind the clothes I wore in my early 20s or the music I listened then, even if others don't like it, but when I was 13, 14, 15... colour coordination, leg warmers, vests, ehehe... Limahl, Wham, Modern Talking... LOL (not everything was bad though, please - U2 were wonderful)</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 11:47AM

<HTML>Let me take you back to 1973. (slow dissolve).

That's me, walking along the street, age 13. Observe the garb; one scruffy old Liverpool shirt, one equally scruffy pair of jeans, one very knackered pair of sneakers (long before they were called 'trainers').

Here I am in the house. I have my nose in a book. I have headphones clamped to my ears. That big 12-inch disc rotating is a record, and the featured artist is Led Zeppelin. Later I will watch TV, and laugh like a goat at 'Fawlty Towers'.

Dissolve back to 2002. Here I am age 42. I am now married, a homeowner, with a steady job. Otherwise only the details have changed; the top is sometimes now a Torquay United one (and the stomach inside it has grown a bit, too); I'm still reading (usually about three books at once), the music comes from a CD, but it's still Led Zeppelin; and I now laugh like a goat at 'The Office'.

Really, the only thing that's changed my life is the invention of the PC and the Internet, without which I would be a) single and b) unemployed. Plus ca change, eh?</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: November 29, 2002 12:37PM

<HTML>heehee, it's fun seeing people making fun of Triz...

Let's go back to 1973... If it's before August I don't even exist...</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 06:22PM

<HTML>Re: Weathergirls Vs Geri

Weathergirls are obviously better than Geri, if only because they didn't publish any biographies (file under 'Remainders').</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: November 29, 2002 07:07PM

<HTML>Hmmm.....1973......

I'm probably wearing bell bottoms but that's my mother's fault, since I'm only 6. My bedroom has avacado green shag carpet (and we have a yellow plastic rake to fluff it up), and my yellow chest of drawers has green, yellow, orange and white daisy flowers made out of foam glued to it. The vinyl '45 in my close-n-play is the single of "Popcorn" by "Hot Butter", and I'm sitting on the bed surrounded by stuffed animals (no dolls to speak of), and reading "The Chronicles of Narnia".</HTML>

Date: November 29, 2002 10:52PM

<HTML>1979 - i wasn't even a glint in the milkman's eye....</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2002 03:25AM

<HTML>Well, In 1973, I was only 4 years old and didn't know any better, so let's fast forward to 1977....8 years old and TOTALLY obsessed with Shaun Cassidy (yes, half brother of Partridge Family hearthrob David, son of Partridge Mom, Shirley Jones, singer of the remake of Da Doo Ron Ron, and a future Hardy Boy) I wore gaucho pants, buckle back Seattle Blues Jeans, knitted ponchos and worst yet, took a Charlie's Angels lunchbox to school. Oh the horror! Oh and I had a Dorothy Hamill Wedge haircut. Quite the fashion plate, huh?! (actually, I almost have one of those cuts again, only now I flip the edges up a bit when they're cooperate!)</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: November 30, 2002 09:06AM

<HTML>I think I can be considered quite lucky taste wise because when i was 6 i loved Duran Duran... quite cool...

(then went through a black phase of Wham and the like but that is better not talked about)</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 30, 2002 12:32PM

<HTML>It still saddens me to think my first 2 musical purchases were (a) A-ha (take on me) and (b) Everything I do by Bryan adams.
I think I was behind the door when they handed out taste....</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2002 02:07PM

<HTML>hey! both those are good songs! [slinking away to corner, somewhat embarrassed]</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah H Egginton (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: November 30, 2002 03:38PM

<HTML>H'mm. 1973. I was nine at the time, so not old enough to buy my own records (well, that was how my parents saw it, anyway). However, if I had been allowed to buy my own, it would have been all Flanders & Swann. Don't know what that says about me. I still sing "The Hippopotamus Song" with great relish while doing housework or in the bath, and I'm afraid I know absolutely doodly squat about any music of the kind that gets into the charts, other than Dire Straits, who put out stuff you can actually whistle.

Now fast-forward ten years or so... heavily influenced at university by the works of Douglas Hofstadter (another Escher fan), I got into Bach and never looked back. This may well have put the lid on any chance I ever had of understanding pop music, which is a shame in a way, because it means that my appreciation of the fun Nextian parodies which appear in this august Fforum is limited by not knowing the original lyrics.

OK. A challenge. Can anyone "Nextianise" the Hippopotamus Song???</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 30, 2002 09:54PM

<HTML>*Still slightly stunned that anyone ever thought Duran Duran were cool*

Jon, 1970's hippy and proud of it</HTML>

Date: November 30, 2002 10:41PM

<HTML>Duran Duran are currently viewed as sort of cool by proxy. It isn't cool to like them, but it is cool to admit to having done so when the mullet was considered a mark of sophistication.

For my sins I like the Proclaimers when I was six....</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.