New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
getting new cat soon...need name
Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2002 03:39AM

<HTML>Hi everyone!

We recently lost one of our beloved cats to inflamatory bowel diease and have decided that we need to add another family member after the holidays. I was wondering if you could all help me out with some good names!

We don't know if it will be male or female, but we are hoping to get a Ragamuffin (similar to Ragdolls, which look rather like a Turkish Van mixed with a Persian) They have very laid back personalities.
I would love to have something literary, and preferably Ffordian.

Our current cats' names are Scooter, Crickett and Loki. Scooter and Crickett were named for what they did as babies (ie scooting along the floor and chasing and devouring crickets) and Loki is named for one of the Archangels from the movie "Dogma" as well as the Norse god of mischief. Another Norse name would also be quite acceptable.

Do you think Pickwick would be a good one?(if only I could get a cat make "plock-plock" noises!) ;-) or how about the Unitary Authority of Dumfries Cat? (The UA of D cat? LOL)

Thanks for your help, guys!</HTML>

Re: getting new cat soon...need name
Posted by: Sarah H Egginton (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: November 30, 2002 12:15PM

<HTML>I think Pickwick is a great name for a cat. One of my cats, Chomsky, makes a very odd noise - all right, it's not "plock-plock", but it's definitely "quack-quack". Mind you, he was definitely behind the door when the usual helping of feline dignity was handed out. I think his brother Minsky got it (yup, Minsky is my cat - or, as he sees it, I am his loyal and devoted member of staff; the weird thing is that he's not by any means the only Minsky Cat with his own Hotmail address).

I've toyed with the idea of calling a cat Thursday, or is that just too obvious? Perhaps Joffy would be better; I know it's a man in the book, but it would sound quite all right on a lady cat too.

If I have any more ideas I'll let you know. And I dare say so will Minsky, though I can't answer for him as he's out patrolling his territory at the moment.</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: November 30, 2002 02:22PM

<HTML>When I find a landlord that will let me keep a cat, and a cat that will let me look after it, I've got a few names to choose from: Qwerty, Schrödinger, Chairman Meow or Ceefa (C-for-cat, geddit?). Feel free to steal any or all. Personally i wait until I knew what kind of cat it was, there's no point in giving a cat a nice, dignified, name if it turns out to be an honorey (sp?) dog.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah H Egginton (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: November 30, 2002 03:26PM

<HTML>That's a weird coincidence. Minsky posts a column called Thoughts of Chairman Miaow (different spelling I know, but what the heck?) in the writers' group I belong to on the Internet. He thought it was an appropriate pen-name... er... keyboard name.

I always thought Quantum was a good name for a cat, because it's very difficult to tell what they are and what they're doing at the same time. Just an idea. I didn't mention it the first time because it's not very literary.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 30, 2002 08:15PM

<HTML>Anybody wishing to give any feline a Norse name should be warned - it can give them strange ideas...

<A HREF="http://www.rathergood.com/vikings/" TARGET="_blank">Click here to see why...</A></HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 30, 2002 09:46PM

<HTML>I've said it before and I'll say it again; when it comes to naming cats you cannot go wrong with Cooking Fat.

Actually you should always pick a name you won't feel stupid shouting at eleven o'clock at night when the little bugger has gone walkabout; names from mythology are full of pitfalls here - I had friends who had twin kittens, and named them Castor and Pollux. They were lucky not to get arrested.

But if you want a real Ffordean name for a cat, be aware that in early drafts of TEA Thursday's pet was not a dodo but an Abyssinian cat called Elmo. Perhaps now is the time for Elmo to be rescued from the Well of Lost Plots.</HTML>

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 01, 2002 02:25AM

<HTML>I also suggest that you wait until you get your cat before choosing a name for it.

I have two cats. When I got the black and white one, she reminded me of another I had known, which was called 'Giselle'. I thought I would give my new cat a music-related name. Just think of all the lovely words available: Allegro, carrilion, minuet, Coppelia.... I consulted a friend's dictionary of musical terms. The only one that suited the skinny stray I had taken in was....Skiffle ! The least glamorous form of music ever, made mostly by teenagers using washboards, @#$%& acoustic guitars, harmonicas and combs wrapped in paper.

My other cat is called Diesel. A couple of hours after I got her home, she relaxed and started to explore. All of a sudden, this enormous, rattling purr came out of this skinny brown kitten. She sounded just like a diesel engine. She still has a big purr, and she's still as daft as a brush.

Ragamuffins are big cats, so how about Falstaff ? As for picking a name you can shout from the doorstep, a friend of mine got two cats last year. She and her partner wanted to name them after wines/grape varieties. I had previously owned a cat called Shiraz, named for the Persian city, because he was cross-bred Persian. So they didn't want to use that as a name. They settled on Merlot and Zinfandal. In the event, I persuaded them that they really didn't want to be standing in the garden yelling 'Zinfandal'. (Actually, Ed didn't take too much persuading). They settled for Lindisfarne, a company that makes fruit wines, which was all I could think of as an alternative at the time, as I don't drink grape wine. Krissy still insists that their next cat will be called Zinfandal.

Actually, I used to spend a lot of time standing on my doorstep yodelling 'Navarre !'. Puzzled the hell out of the students over the road until they made out what I was saying. He was named after Rutger Hauer's character in 'Ladyhawke'. The character is a soldier and good at killing things. My cat turned out to be good at killing things too. I never knew we had rats round here before.
There may be a moral in this.

I think Elmo is a dreadful name for an Abyssinian cat. Some wonderful friends of mine breed Abys and I have admit that some of theirs have odd names. The Ferret, Digit and Fother (who was a lot of fuss and bother), spring to mind. Elmo is a stereotypical American name. Abys do not have stereotypical American personalities. Of course, Jasper may have intended this contradiction (assuming he knows what Abys are like), but I don't think Thursday would have called an Aby, Elmo. She might have called him Quixote though.</HTML>

Date: December 01, 2002 06:25AM

<HTML>Ben, Ben, Ben...

You're a sick man to have known that website existed. Let's just put it this way...my husband thinks I'm insane for associating with you lot now! (but hey, it brightens my day immeasurably!)

~Twila~</HTML>

Posted by: Gill Neal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 01, 2002 06:31PM

<HTML>Firstly, I'm sorry for your loss.

As you know the naming of cats is a difficult matter. It isn't just one of your holiday games........

Enough rambling, the first name that comes to mind is Bagpuss, which is a rather sweet British children's character which would suit rather well. But I expect your cat won't be cream and pink!

If you're looking for something Norse:

Freya, godess of love and beauty
Freyr (Freya's twin brother) god of fertility.
Skadi - godess of winter and hunting.

There's always Bartleby, the watcher from Dogma and sidekick of Loki or even Metaron the voice of god, are they vocal cats?

One of my favourite literary cats is Greebo (an evil smelling tom- from the Discworld books)

But whatever you choose, choose wisely, there's nothing like a cat that gives you the evil eye.

All the best with your extremely difficult job.</HTML>

Date: December 01, 2002 10:55PM

<HTML>I love the way the world works - spend hours (well, some pretty long seconds) writing a carefully crafted spoof of something and nobody new says anyhting. Mention a cat and they all come out of the woodwork... How curious....

ps how about Curiosity for a cat's name. Middle name 'Kilda'...</HTML>

Date: December 01, 2002 11:19PM

<HTML>Just goes to show what simple folk we are. It's easier to stick to enchanting, less high brow subjects, especially at the weekend.</HTML>

Date: December 01, 2002 11:28PM

<HTML>Just an observation - not a judgemental thingummy... And if you want simple, just cal us here in Evesham - we have made an export industry from our surplus of village idiots...</HTML>

Date: December 01, 2002 11:31PM

<HTML>Ha! so that's who's sending them to us in Wiltshire, wait a minute, didn't we send them to you originally?</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 10:24AM

<HTML>Er, not sure you sent them to us. We're very protective of our gene pool round here - only relatives are allowed to paddle in it.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 11:22AM

<HTML>Re disappearance of sensible people. What's actually happened is that Ben and I have fed them to the Morlock. And, hey, isn't that a great name for a cat? Or would you prefer yagerroffoutofityerbastard, which is what most cats actually get called?</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 11:27AM

<HTML>The names that cats would choose for themselves would be rather different...</HTML>

Posted by: Minsky Cat (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 02, 2002 11:48AM

<HTML>Well, I am very happy to be called Minsky, having been named after a particularly distinguished and interesting human scientist. As it happens, I'm a scientist myself - a research humanologist, to be precise. I am finding this Fforum quite fascinating for the purposes of my work, and indeed I have already made enough notes from it for at least a chapter of my PhD thesis.

And, incidentally, if any human ever has the temerity to call me yagerroffoutofityerbastard, there are two things I can do better than any other cat I know. One is to look down my nose at them from ground level, and the other is to make a V-sign with my ears. You have been warned!</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 01:20PM

<HTML>Nurse! There's a cat talking at me again!</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 02:50PM

<HTML>Gill,

Yes, we've thought about using Bartleby and Freya as well as Thor. I even thought about using Azrial (sp?) from Dogma as well, but that one's a little too common as a cat name. But I do think all of these are cute names, however my husband is not so crazy about them. I was trying to talk my husband into letting me call a male cat Jasper last night. I even tried Thursday for a female. He just rolled his eyes, groaned and left the room (although I'm convinced I heard him laughing down the hallway!)

We've got a bit of time, but I like to have a list prepared and that way we can pick the one that fits the best. This is how you avoid ending up calling your cat Fluffy, Socks, or Yagerroffoutofityerbastard.

~Twila~</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 02:54PM

<HTML>The questing beast?

My dog has become known as the Noo-Noo after the Tellytubbies character and the way her nose gets into everything. Not her real name but she ignores it in exactly the same way. Scarily cat-like...</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.