New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Shameless self-advertisement
Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 10:19AM

<HTML>Should anyone be the slightest bit interested, I have now published my website. It's at <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/brierleyjon">Jon's Den</A>.

Feel free to have a laugh.</HTML>

Re: Shameless self-advertisement
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 10:22AM

<HTML>"You may find several things I have written"

Or you may not...

Look forward too seeing the mystery items...

"Open the link!"
"Take the money!"</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 10:27AM

<HTML>er ... does that mean I've got a broken link somewhere?</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 10:34AM

<HTML>No, just that this bloody computer wasn't working.

I really am the electronic equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle...</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 10:42AM

<HTML>Ah, yes... a cybercide. My boss is like that. If he buys some gadget or other, you can guarantee it will promptly fail to work. Which wouldn't matter, but he buys gadgets constantly .....</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 10:46AM

<HTML>They make nice paperweights though...</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah H Egginton (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 02, 2002 12:07PM

<HTML>I've just had a look at your site, Jon. I like it! By the way, I live in Yorkshire too.</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 12:10PM

<HTML>Well, the way I figure it, this county's big enough for both of us (and Rob and Dave).

Anybody visiting my site, feel free to leave a donation on the way out ....</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 12:25PM

<HTML>If not, we'll just annex a bit more of Lancashire.

Like last time...</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: December 02, 2002 12:31PM

<HTML>Sounds good to me. Though as a Geordie, you're all just strange southerners to me...

;-)</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 03:07PM

<HTML>Anybody else going to start advertising round here?</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: December 02, 2002 03:21PM

<HTML>I think I've mentioned Eddie's website often enough in this fforum for anyone wanting to see it to be able to.

Though I've not updated it since May this year. Ooops.</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2002 03:26PM

<HTML>Nice site, Jon...however...

in books NOT to read:
"Jane Austen - v. fashionable just now, but, Lord, nothing ever happens! People chatter, people think someone is in love with someone else, there are endless parties, and I find it all very dull. Maybe it’s a woman thing."

You're missing her whole point! Yes, it's slow moving, but it's really to point out just how inane that world really was as well as the inequality of how women were treated and how even someone as smart and resourceful as Emma Woodhouse or Elinor Dashwood were reduced to having to marry well in order to survive and live well. (Even though both of those ladies were able to find the loves of their lives in the process) Women weren't really allowed to work and received very little education and definitely could not attend university and you could tell Ms. Austen wanted to say how unfair that was! Of course all of this is wrapped up in delightful stories. I really look at Austen stories as a political satire wolf wrapped in a romantic feminine story's sheep's clothing.

And of course, her stories really are pretty timeless. Just look at how many remakes and updates have been made. (although, some of the more current stories like Bridget Jones's Diary and Clueless miss a lot of the political stuff - but that just goes to show what a double edged sword her stories really are. They work well from both sides!)

All that being said, I have to agree with you on almost all of your other opinions about the books you listed. And besides, having an opinion and stating it well is what makes the world go round! Bravo on your new site!

~Twila~</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 04:06PM

<HTML>In truth, I am prepared to be proved wrong about the fair Jane. In my defence I haven't tried to read her for a long, long time, and I don't think I was old enough (I was gonna say mature, but you lot know me too well for that) to get it. I shall hie me to ye olde second-hand bookshop and give it another go.

The whole reading list thing actually started because somebody at work (in my last job) wanted a list of recommendations, and she got more than she bargained for. (She also ran off with a policewoman, so I really was wasting my time).</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2002 04:13PM

<HTML>Bravo Jon, Bravo! Lesser men would have argued the point laboriously! I'm really impressed that you'll give her another go. (see, you really are more grown-up than you give yourself credit for!)

Way to go! You've just restored my faith that the male brain can separate [ahem, pardon the pun] pride from prejudice. [okay, everyone, COLLECTIVE GROAN]

WINK!
~Twila~</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2002 04:19PM

<HTML>Waaaah! Don't wanna grow up!

And just because Twila used such effective <I>Persuasion</I>, don't all come having a go ... CS Lewis fans especially don't bother!</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 09:27PM

<HTML>"C.S. Lewis (the Narnia stories) &#8211; cardboard cut-out characters washed in a sickly swamp of evangelical Christianity. Brainwash for goody-goodies."

Have you ever read Phillip Pullman? Especially the Dark Materials trilogy... It's simply brilliant, better than harry potter and so on by miles.

(i remembered this because Phillip Pullman also once criticised C.W.Lewis</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 02, 2002 09:52PM

<HTML>Yes, I have read 'His Dark Materials', and there were things in there that I liked - much better than H. Potter, Esq. - but ultimately his wholly negative view of Christianity put me off. Contradictory, you say, seeing as I slagged off Lewis for being too Christian? Well, no; I'm not a Christian or any sort of believer, but that doesn't mean to say I can't see the virtues in Christianity. Pulman's views were just too confused to get across, and at the end of the three books it left me feeling let down and thinking 'So what?' He seemed to want have his angels but not any sort of God, and that, quite frankly, strikes me as illogical, Captain. OK, rant over.

(Btw I've just put the poetry page up on the site, which should cause a few more arguments).</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 10:00PM

<HTML>i'm not a big fan of poetry, even though i bought today a book from the poetry section of borders... the melancholy death of oyster boy by tim burton...

and you can have your views, i still love the idea of the angels in the phillip pullman books... i don't really like to discuss certain things so do't expect much from me
;-)</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 10:02PM

<HTML>Will go there and start arguing directly...

btw - i also slagged off Jane Austen for ages before actually reading Pride and Pred, and laughed like a drain whenever Mr B was about.

I had just been reading Chaucer's bumper book of fart gags though, so this might have been a reaction to that....</HTML>

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.