New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
a forced convert?
Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2002 04:02PM

<HTML>Do you think it's bad that I'm MAKING my husband listen to TEA on CD? He was a captive audience on our yearly Thanksgiving trip to the Poconos. That's about a 4 hour drive from our house. I only got him to listen to it on the way home, so he's only 4 hours in. Now I need to plan another road trip so he'll listen to the rest.

He's not a big reader. He loves magazines and short stories because he reads slowly and has the attention span of a gnat when it comes to the written word.

So far he thinks the story is "Okay" but I think he's getting a little lost in the Brit references and some of the literary references. I've been trying to get him to read Jon Brierly's TEA Reference Notes. But he's resisting...what's a pushy wife to do?! But now at least he understands some of the comments I make about the Fforum and why I think a lot of this is as funny as I do. Although, he still doesn't understand why I'm so obsessed! I keep telling him that the audio just doesn't have the "twinkle in the eye" factor that actually reading the book has.

So does this make me a zealot? Gads, I hope not!

~Twila~</HTML>

Re: a forced convert?
Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 02, 2002 04:35PM

<HTML>For it is written:

Thou shalt go forth, and spread the word, and say unto all that ye meet, "Verily, Jasper Fforde is a prince among men, and writeth like an angel, and they who read his books shall be blest, and laugh like drains. But there is among us a false prophet, known as the Tom Holt, or the Beast of Somerset, and they who cleave unto him shall be accursed, and shall not enter into the Fforum."

And all they who spread the word, and bring joy unto the people, are called by the name of Nextians, and shall be honoured. And all those that heed not, and keep the secret to themselves, shall be fed to the Morlock.

Here endeth the lesson.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 03, 2002 08:57PM

<HTML>H'mm. I'm familiar with this situation. Not content with driving all my existing friends insane on the subject of Jasper Fforde, I've also recently got to know this rather nice Welsh chap who looks like a decidedly possible romantic prospect. I find I am even Ffording away at him. I have to ask myself, what is it I want to do? Chat this guy up or get him reading something that'll brighten his life?

Simple, really. If he gets into Fforde, I'll _know_ he's worth dating. :-)</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 04, 2002 04:58AM

<HTML>So you're not "flirty fishing" for Jasper's works (blessed be he) then? ;-)</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 11:04AM

<HTML>Oh, no. That would make me _really_ dangerous. As it is, I'm just harmlessly insane!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 11:10AM

<HTML>What the hell is 'flirty fishing'? Is it related to fly fishing?</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 11:30AM

<HTML>Umm... it's a somewhat, shall we say, basic method of getting new members into certain cults. I'm sure it doesn't take much imagination to understand how it works.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 01:46PM

<HTML>good job i read that nice and clearly - you wouldn't have wanted a typo sneaking into that there first sentence...</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 12:19PM

<HTML>Good job I'm a good typist, then, Ben. And I can't imagine what you could possibly have meant... oh... er... thank you, Minsky, I'm not sure I actually wanted to know that...</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.