New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Acceding to Jon's request
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 03, 2002 09:15PM

<HTML>No problem - I thought it was getting a bit dark further down the Fforum too. :-)

Are you sure you really want to know about that penguin? ;-)</HTML>

Re: Acceding to Jon's request
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2002 09:18PM

<HTML>My curiosity has been whetted...you never know, you might make a Blakes 7 convert. (I actually watched it religiously back then, but haven't seen it since).</HTML>

Date: December 03, 2002 09:24PM

<HTML>Well, the penguin's actually nothing to do with B7, except very indirectly. I assumed you'd found out about my B7 interest by putting my name into Google and coming up with the article I did on the Kaldor City recording session, which was on Paul Darrow's fan club site. In this article, a mysterious penguin called Wilfred gets a mention, because he happened to be used as an impromptu ventriloquist's dummy by Russell Hunter, who plays Uvanov in the series. Well, he's _my_ penguin, and he is currently sitting with a slightly baffled expression watching me type and wanting to know if he's famous yet.

And if you want to know any more, you're going to find out just how strange I really am...</HTML>

Date: December 03, 2002 09:31PM

<HTML>You mentioned Paul Darrow first, actually. This was a bit of a clue as to the Blakeness of your interests. Is that the Russell Hunter who used to be Lonely?

And everybody's strange. For a given value of 'normal'.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 03, 2002 09:32PM

<HTML>I stuck your name into google and found some bird who'd been alive since 1755 - I knew you were older than me but... Do we need to call SO-17 or are you Chrono-Guard?

No really!

[homepage.ntlworld.com] - at the bottom on the right....</HTML>

Date: December 03, 2002 09:43PM

<HTML>Dammit, you've blown my cover! All right, I admit it, I'm Chrono-Guard. I shouldn't have aroused everyone's suspicions by asking for more dried frog pills. Time travel can definitely addle the brain.

Don't know if it's the same Russell Hunter. The one I'm thinking of is small, wiry, elderly, Scottish, and delightfully insane. I don't see a lot of TV, not having one of my own. Anyway, those vidicubes they invented... er, will invent... a couple of centuries from now are so much more practical.

There's so much _more_ to Paul Darrow than Avon. No, no, I mustn't start...</HTML>

Date: December 03, 2002 09:49PM

<HTML>That's him! He was Edward Woodward's seedy sidekick (Lonely) in Callan.

I believe there is a a virus that makes your PC say nothing but

++Redo from Start++Out of cheese error at address 59 Treacle Mine Road++

which can only be cured by typing in ++DRIED FROG PILLS++

As Ben says, you may regret that MSN name being posted ....</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: December 04, 2002 02:01PM

<HTML>In response to your comment about American fans way down the board, I will say that while there are a number of Blakes 7 and Dr. Who fans in the States, neither show ever had the level of cultural familiarity here it did in Britian. The average person on the street has no idea what a Dalek is, for example, and when I dressed as the Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) for Halloween one year only one person at work recognized who I was.

(for proof that I was in fact recognizable, look <a href="http://www.geocities.com/magda_vogelsang/2Docs.jpg">here</a>.)</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 02:17PM

<HTML>well, we would, Magda, but GeoCities won't let us ....</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: December 04, 2002 02:26PM

<HTML>or is it Goliath blocking it?</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 03:04PM

<HTML>That's right - I forgot geocities won't let you link to an image except from a geocities page.

I'd stick it on a page, but it won't let me log in at the moment. If you follow the link, get the error page, and then click at the end of the Address box and hit return to reload the page, it should work.

Or if that doesn't work, go <a href="http://www.geocities.com/magda_vogelsang/PickwickPic.html">here</a> first, and then paste:
[www.geocities.com]
into the Address box and go there.

Sigh.

-Magda-</HTML>

Re:Doctorin the House
Date: December 04, 2002 03:11PM

<HTML>So it does. Cool outfits. Would you like a jelly-baby?</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 04:18PM

<HTML>Looks good. If I were Davros, I'd be scared...

This is also a suitable opportunity to crow-bar in my Peter Davidson
trivia. Apart from playing the good doctor, he composed and sang
the theme tune to Button Moon.</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 04:31PM

<HTML>Sure! Actually, I mail ordered a couple boxes once out of curiosity (they don't sell them here), and rather liked them.

BTW, I actually met Tom Baker at a convention in Chicago in the early '90s. Wearing a suit, with shorter hair, and quite a few years older, I didn't recognize him until he spoke and grinned. There's a pic <a href="http://www.geocities.com/magda_vogelsang/TomBaker.jpg">here</a>.
(I was obviously growing out a bad permanent wave, and I haven't had one since).

-Magda-</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 04:34PM

<HTML>Tom Baker is cool. Also insane. Did you ever see him as Rasputin? Fantastic.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: December 04, 2002 04:40PM

<HTML>The guy who played piano at our wedding knows Tom Baker personally.

Kind of a poor claim to fame, but it's the best I can do. I've got Peter Davidson's autograph somewhere too.</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 05:23PM

<HTML>I haven't met Peter Davison (although I have met Jon Pertwee, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy - did I mention I was a fairly avid Dr. Who fan in college?), but we did have a dog named Tristan after his character on 'All Creatures Great and Small'. We also have an 18 year old Cockatiel (bird) named Romana.

Trivia.....Did you know that Peter was born on Friday the 13th? Apparently his mother mentioned it often.....
I've also heard that when Peter Davison was chosen to replace Tom Baker, they showed his picture on the news, and friends were calling him thinking he'd died or something.

I haven't seen Tom's Rasputin, except for a few stills. I did see him as Puddleglum the depressed marshwiggle in The Silver Chair, and as an inept theif and dognapper in an episode of Remington Steele. If you think he looks odd normally, you should see him with a stocking over his head.

BTW, the friend dressed as Peter in the pic above is the same one who just hosted the Jane Austen themed Halloween party I went to as Thursday Next. There, look quick, I've actually mentioned something about Jasper's books in this thread!

-Magda-</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 06:12PM

<HTML>Now busy singing the Button Moon chorus followed by 'Doctorin the House' by the Timelords... including the daleks chanting 'You waht? You what? You what you what you what?'

"We're off with Thursday Next,
To muck about in text,
Thursday Next (<i>Thursday Next</i>)
Thursday Next..."</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.