New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: A few comments......
Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 11:27AM

<HTML>Here, that anti-sibling powder doesn't work, does it? Have to get me money back ...

Re: Rutherford. There are 2 possible explanations; 1. Because the alteration of a nitrogen atom to an oxygen one wasn't reported until 1919, when he was at Cavendish (Cambridge), it was assumed he did it there.

2. It all depends what you mean by 'split the atom' ; I have read that Rutherford's breakthrough achievement was the <I>destruction</> of a nucleus, which would seem to be a different event to the one described above.

I think it's over to Fuzz on this one.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 05, 2002 12:50PM

<HTML>I've got two younger sisters (twins). One of them is possibly even stranger than I am. If she turns up on the Fforum (which she may), I'll be sure to point her out.

No, she isn't going to bring her cat. She doesn't have one. She just comes round and makes a fuss of mine. :-)</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 06, 2002 01:00PM

<HTML>I have 3 older siblings- it was, apparently, a family size descison my parents regretted many times until we were all over 17......
Personally I think after naming us Benedict, Richenda and Octavia, they deserved all they had to suffer. Only my brother John had a lucky escape- he was nearly Aored, after my mother's favourite Anglo-Saxon Saint.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 06, 2002 01:02PM

<HTML>Everytime he had to give his name he'd sound drunk!</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 01:18PM

<HTML>Oh gosh!
Benedict!
Richenda!!
Octavia!!

in the end you got off easily eheheh just imagine worse names!</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 06, 2002 01:25PM

<HTML>yes, if you want Weird Anglo Saxon Saints, a friend of mine used to teach at St. Willibroads.

(somebody hit Ben on the back, he appears to be choking ...)</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2002 01:26PM

<HTML>'Richenda' sounds like Stilletto asking Greenback how to assemble an Ikea flatpack...</HTML>

Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 06, 2002 01:40PM

<HTML>Si Barone</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2002 01:53PM

<HTML>My middle name is Hild. No, not Hilda. Hild. She was an Anglo-Saxon saint, though not particularly weird as far as I know.</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 06, 2002 02:00PM

<HTML>Just going back to Octavia's family a mo, sibling Richenda got off light - could have been Oestenda .... leave it out

(that's better)</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2002 02:02PM

<HTML>Aaaargh...</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2002 02:20PM

<HTML>There's a college in Durham shared between Hild and Bede. Frankly, it was a very strange place...</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2002 03:11PM

<HTML>Strange? Sounds good to me! ;-)</HTML>

Date: December 08, 2002 12:08PM

<HTML>I was resigned to my name until bloody Skoda nicked it for their new model. Grrrr.
Now people ask me about my milage and servicing ALL THE TIME. Some of them even ask me about my twin airbags. Bastards.
And many people can't hear it. I should prob report it to SpecOps- people seem to suffer from an auditory hallucination which causes them to hear "Olivia" "victoria" "Octaber" or other varients.
Richenda has a similar effect- that's what happens when you're named after the founder of the National Trust and a medival female version of Richard, respectively.........</HTML>

Date: December 08, 2002 12:35PM

<HTML>Definitely report it to SpecOps. Alternatively, you could change it to something more usual. Like, er, Thursday...</HTML>

Date: December 09, 2002 01:52PM

<HTML>That's an Idea! Thursday Elizabeth Anne Leigh- or TEAL for short. Much better ;-) to be a bird or a colour than a car.......
(yep, we all have too many middle names as well)</HTML>

Posted by: poestscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 09, 2002 09:50PM

<HTML>We know your name now! Hahahahahahahaha!

Now, how do I apply for a restraining order?</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.