New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
More pedantry...
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 06:42PM

<HTML>I'm fed up of waiting for all that stuff I pased in by accident to download, so I'll start again here....

Chapter 18 does in fact need at least one note - the number 142857 has some weird properties....

[www.articlesforeducators.com];

Re: More pedantry...
Posted by: Adam Brierley (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 04, 2002 06:47PM

<HTML>Wow - some people do have a lot of spare time - quote from the link:

"I've found several numbers like this. One of them is so large it takes an entire sheet of paper to print it! In fact, it's so large that it contains every four digit telephone number!"</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 06:51PM

<HTML>I'm just amazed at ther sheer level of detail built intot he books. All we need now is for someone to start doing a Baconian job and we'll have it all...</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 07:01PM

<HTML>In a neat double meaning type thing Dr 'Jekyll' is also a character from Robert 'Who gave him those troosers?' Louis Stevenson.

Perhaps in the Nextian universe our Gerty would de-head a few begonias before going off to cause mayhem and chaos across the croquet lawn. It does so ruin the game when somebody gets carried away, doesn't it?</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 07:20PM

<HTML>Have also found the Fabien reference - Fabian (note the different spelling) was also in Twelfth Night as Olivia's servant. And no I don't want to explain the plot of that play...</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 07:50PM

<HTML>The Questing Best is in Morte D'Arthur - Arthur offers to hunt the beast for Pellinore, but is refused. It is the fate of all Pellinores, surprisingly.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2002 08:36PM

<HTML>142857! Life's too bloody short, lovey! I'm an artist, not a scientist, and if I need to count past ten I take my shoes off ....</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2002 08:38PM

<HTML>the only number I need to know is .... 42

now let's see how many people get that reference!</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 08:39PM

<HTML>Round here that'd get you to at least 22...

I just figured that there couldn't be a whole chapter sans references - so I had a google at it...

And I'm a man - not a number (hunter). I'm more of a methsamatician than mathematician - it's the @#$%& version that sends you blind.</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 08:41PM

<HTML>er, the toe thing, not 42...

Er, what was the question again?</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2002 08:42PM

<HTML>hmmm....geeee.....errrrmmmm....

I DON'T KNOW [wink]</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 08:47PM

<HTML>Doesn't sound very... philosophical, does it?</HTML>

Posted by: polly (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 09:37PM

<HTML>And, linking up 42 and the earlier Peter Davidson trivia - he played the part of the cow who wants to be eaten at the Restaurant at the End of The Universe in the TV version (it was much better on radio)</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: December 04, 2002 10:24PM

<HTML>Yep, he was "The Dish of the Day".</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2002 10:26PM

<HTML>Tell me, Magda, have you ever actually watched any US TV?</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 12:06AM

<HTML>Am i allowed to make a comment on the TEA notes? Only one quick one -

Nursery rhymes aren't 'utter rubbish'.

Well, all right, most of them are now... Originally however: 'Eeenie meenie miney mo' was actually a pre-celtic counting system kept alive in the mouths of babes. 'Jack Spratt' was a satirical comment on taxation by the church. 'The Grand Old Duke of York' led 12,000 men into a typhus ridden swamp for over a year whilst barely engaging the enemy, 'Ring-a-roses', as any kid who went to my primary school when we spent a whole week dressed up in sacks left over from the sports day to replicate 'a 13th century plague village' would know, refers to the plague when posies were carried to try and keep away the bad smell believed to transmit the disease.

So now you know...

(btw, I know modern news is allegedly dumbing down, but at least we don't get Paxman presenting a piece on the fireman's strike saying 'John and Tone went up the hill to fetch a pail of water...')</HTML>

Posted by: Adam Brierley (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 05, 2002 11:09AM

<HTML>My name's Dent, Arthur Dent.
Well Dentarthurdent, come along or you'll be late.
Late, late for what?
Late as in the late Dentarthurdent.

That's my favourite bit :-)</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 11:33AM

<HTML>Nursery rhymes are rubbish, from a child's point of view; they are not things that children say to one another, but things adults say to children, in the belief they are somehow giving the child a treat.

And isn't Slartibartfast a great name?</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 05, 2002 12:56PM

<HTML>Our last bishop used to talk just like Slartibartfast. And yes, it certainly is a great name. Not one you'd forget.

Actually I quite liked nursery rhymes when I was very small. Until at the age of about five I discovered Ogden Nash, who wrote such gems as:

I shoot the Hippopotamus
With bullets made of platinum,
Because if I use leaden ones
His hide is sure to flatten 'em.

I have a passion for silly rhymes to this day!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 12:57PM

<HTML>Granted. No parent ever said 'And before you go to bed i'm going to treat you to some cutting edge Elizabethan satire...'

Bring back Grimm, is all I can say (and are the brothers as dangerous as Poe?)</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.