New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Strange Case of...
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 06, 2002 12:44PM

<HTML>B-Movie Madness in <h2>The Strange Case of Gertrude Jekyll</h2> (I'll go and hide)...

Mr Uttertosh the lawyer had some buggered accountants, partially as a result of too many late nights in the Sixties sitting with a family-sized tub of acid in front of a B-movie, but mostly because he hired them after their Enron account was terminated. He was non-descript at best, but this was probably due to an infestation of Grammarsites, which even regular applications of Zymox Medicated Rinse failed to shift. It chanced that during one of these rambles with which I infest the web, that Uttertosh and his friend Garfield were entering a passage in London.

"Did you ever remark upon that door?", asked Garfield. "It is connected in my mind with the day I had some particularly nice lasagne."

"Indeed?", enquired Mr Uttertosh. "Weren't you supposed to tell me some strange story?"

"No. I was supposed to take the piss out of Odie. But seeing as you asked... behind that door is a Secret Garden."

"Not that bloody whimsical Victorian bollocks again!", Mr Uttertosh ejaculated.

"I'd clean that up if I were you. No, it is far more interesting than that. Behind that door is a garden designed to terrify all who enter it."

"Dairmund Gavin been in there, has he?"

"No - he designed that terrible one with those little hills for that nursery rhyme. Paid for by some bloke called Charlie. I told Jack he'd only hurt himself going up Charlie's hummocks."

"But who was the mysterious designer?"

"A lady by the name of Mrs Jekyll. Gertrude is her first name. She had a theory that gardens could be split into their good and evil halves. Unfortunately she became addicted to Hyde and seek*, except she made the mistake of hiding in a Triffid".

"A triffid?"

"A sort of Venus Flytrap with ambition."

"Oh. And have you visited this garden?" asked Uttertosh.

"Only once," said Garfield. "I found it to be a little shop of horrors."

"Were you alone?"

"No, there was Audrey Too."

"And did anybody see you?"

"Only a psychic drink."

"Surely it wasn't," he said, before pausing for a dramatic fanfare. "A kir royalian witness?"

"The same."

"And do you know much about this mysterious woman?"

"She enjoyed Gilbert and Sullivan. Especially their light opera plant slasher - Biollante. Very fond of her ents, she was. And she had gentlemen visit her all the time."

"Tobanga?"

"Yes, I believe he inhabited this garden for a while before his film career took off. Very few pests, apparently. Although last year they had an attack of the killer..."

"Tomatoes? Were there tomatoes?

"No, not the right soil to grow vegetables. Not sure why - I have a feeling Jekyll just couldn't get on with chemicals."

"Gosh."

"Anyway, we must get a move on. Before that bloody Beatrix Potter character turns up. you know - that short Yorkshire one?"

"Alan Titchmouse?"

"The same..."

And with that they went to torment somebody called 'Jon'...

*appalling bad pun lifted from Stevenson - so no blaming me!</HTML>

Re: The Strange Case of...
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 12:53PM

<HTML>[loud, theatrical groan]

How do you keep thinking all these things up, Ben? No, on second thoughts, _why_ do you...

Seriously. I hooted with laughter. Even though you did miss out the worst B-movie of all time, "Plan Nine from Outer Space".</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2002 12:55PM

<HTML>How many vegetables in it though?

[www.greatwest.ca] for the list I was working form.</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 06, 2002 01:22PM

<HTML>Tormented I may be, but I do know that tomatoes are not vegetables.

Tomatoe, Tomato, let's call the whole thing off ...</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2002 01:23PM

<HTML>myspeling vyrus again...</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2002 01:33PM

<HTML>'Jon' btw was a neat reference to Garfield (again) - not my fault if you're named after a cartoon character, is it?</HTML>

Posted by: Minsky Cat (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 01:36PM

<HTML>Yes, I've met Garfield. And the other Jon. Believe me, there is no comparison. Our Jon is really very intelligent for a human. Garfield's Jon is... h'mm...</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2002 02:09PM

<HTML>[ALT+F8+G] <----- That's my macro for:

*slaps hand to forehead and groans loudly*</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2002 02:11PM

<HTML>BTW, Jon, my husband is also a Jon...but his is short for Jonathan. Is yours?

PS, the David Austin rose named for Gertrude Jekyll is very beautiful. I was thinking about getting some for my garden this year!</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 06, 2002 02:14PM

<HTML>Yes, it is short for Jonathan. See 'My CV' <p><a href="http://members.aol.com/brierleyjon/CV.htm">here</a></p> for more details.</HTML>

Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 06, 2002 02:52PM

<HTML>Or even Jonty as we used to call him, sorry bro couldn't resist</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 11:03PM

<HTML>LOL</HTML>

Re: Tomatoes....
Posted by: poestscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 20, 2002 12:31AM

<HTML>Slice the little red buggers any way you want Jon, but my Oxford Pocket reckons the plural has an 'e'...

And, for Sarah,' Plan nine from outer space' gets a mention in the nextian pastiche section, when it goes live.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.