New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Richard III goes camp?
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 04:55PM

<HTML>This may possibly be apocryphal, because it was told to my class at school by our wonderfully batty English teacher, but she insisted that she saw a sign in the window of a camping shop in early spring which read

NOW IS THE DISCOUNT OF OUR WINTER TENTS.

Just thought I'd share that with you lovely people. :-)</HTML>

Re: Richard III goes camp?
Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 06, 2002 05:28PM

<HTML>How many students would get that reference these days ??

I've just been telling one of my students (3rd year undergrad) the difference
between "its" and "it's" and just thought I was having a laugh !!

"<em>Hahaha good point, I'll keep a note of that...</em>" was his reply.

There are times when they really annoy me.</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 06, 2002 06:20PM

<HTML>sometimes i find it rather embarassing (for her) that i've got a bigger vocabulary in english than my housemate...</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2002 06:25PM

<HTML>I think contraction's are a menace! I catch myself inserting an inappropriate apostrophe on occasion. And it drive's me absolutely nut's [wink]

I'm forever nagging my dear sissy-poo to get it right. I keep telling her, "Unless you're describing something that belongs to something else or you're trying to to say '(X) is', you almost never use apostrophe S!" And then of course there's the whole thing about YOUR vs YOU'RE. Now THAT drives me nuts when it's used incorrectly!

*just venting - still bitter about not getting to go to Noodle Night!*</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2002 06:28PM

<HTML>oh and of course, there's the double negative, but you Brits ignore that whole rule!

as in, "We don't need no education."</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2002 07:34PM

<HTML>Er... just what sort of Brits have been polluting your delicate shell-like ears with their garbled grammar?</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2002 08:12PM

<HTML>well, YOU guys aren't so bad...but man, listening to anyone on tv is horrible! But then again, people type a little differently than they speak. So you never know.

I'm not just picking on Brits about the double negative thing either...you should hear some of the yokels from the Southern US...holy moly! If you can understand them at all, the language almost isn't even English! Or American for that matter!</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 09:00PM

<HTML>I ain't got no education
I ain't got no word control
No apostrophes in the classroom
Hey, teacher, leave them verbs alone!

All in all it's just another
Grammatical call
All in all it's just another
Pain for us all

(Guitar solo)</HTML>

Posted by: PSD (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 10:58PM

<HTML>Can i just say - ,y local paper was the origin of this quote: It originally went to aman caled 'Howe' and the headline read 'Howe is the winner of our discount tent'.

So there....

psd</HTML>

Posted by: polly (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 07, 2002 10:04AM

<HTML>The only students who'd fail to recognise the discount tents quotes are the ones who are too young to have heard it on "Round the Horne" or "I'm sorry I'll read that again", the precursor of "I'm sorry I haven't a clue". And I'll bet they nicked it from music hall, but I'm too young to remeber that!!!

AAC, are you by any chance learning your English Vernacular from Eastenders? An American friend of mine is following it, and I keep getting e-mails asking me to explain either the language or the plot! OK? Sorted? Rickeeeeeee? It's Fam'lee. Who shot Phil?

If you can't make it to the noodle night, I'll meet you in the Vic for a pint.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 07, 2002 02:55PM

<HTML>OI! Shat it you taarrrt!</HTML>

Date: December 07, 2002 09:57PM

<HTML>hehehe, Polly nope! My normal viewing of English vernacular is gleened from movies and cooking shows. Oh, that and the A&E network that shows a lot of the BBC type movies - especially the period pieces. However, I also used to have a lot of nanny friends who were from the UK. And I dated someone from Surrey for a while.

And I do realize the people that tend to speak poorly in the UK tend to be the poorer, undereducated ones. Just like the Southerners and hicks here in the US. So I know it's not just Brits!

PS, never did get into Eastenders. (mostly cuz I like comedies and I don't find that stuff funny)</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 08, 2002 12:48AM

<HTML>When you said the A&E channel I naturally (for a Brit) assumed Accident and Emergency (in translation - imagine there being a channel called ER...). The idea of a whole channel dedicated to those kind of shows filled me with horror - not least due to the idea that your idea of Blighty could be influenced by BBC shows such as Casualty, 999 and Pet Rescue...
The idea of a period version is actually the sort of cross-over that TV execs are currently keen on, especially if they could put a reality TV element into it -

<i>Day Four of the Big Brother Period Hospital, and Florence has decided to remove Alfred's gangrenous leg using only a rusty saw and a bottle of brandy...</i>

If you really want to know what the other shows are like:

<b>Casualty</b> - set in an A&E ward, it's like watching ER in slo-mo. After mainlining valium... Casualty differs from ER in that it shows the accident happening - not just the bloodied bodies being dragged in. A typical set up will have somebody driving a car intercut with a milk tanker driver on a mobile phone, possibly with a caption reading 'DO NOT USE MOBILE PHONES IN A CAR - IT COULD CAUSE AN ACCIDENT'. It's as predictable as a Government health warning... Perhaps the real interest in watching it is to see how much of the plot you can guess from the first two minutes of the show. There is also a hospital admissions policy of three life-threatening cases per show. One will die, one will be reunited with a long lost pet/family member/kidney, and the third will be 'humorous'.

<b>999</b> - remarkable for taking itself so seriously, it recreates accidents for the benefit of the TV viewing public. It's a roll-call of people falling off cliffs, off piers, beaches, bouncy castles, eating dodgy curries... I have no idea why this s so fascinating. If they can get a guide-dog, children or mobile phone involved, so much the better. It's terribly full of hyperbole, and if it ever heard of SEBs, there'd be one on every week.

Pet Rescue was a footballer from some foreign clime a few years back...</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: December 08, 2002 04:53PM

<HTML>We used to have a show called "Trauma Center". They too would show accidents occurring - which means that when they showed a cute child playing on a swing, you knew for a fact that the only reason they were showing it was that something horrible was about to happen in which the child would not only be injured, but injured so badly that a simple trip to the hopsital was insufficent, and they would instead have to rushed to the trauma center that specialized in more critical case.

BTW, A&E stands for Arts and Entertainment.

My personal pet peeve when reading (especially on the net, but I've even seen a few of these in books) is people misusing homonyms. This includes your/you're, there/their/they're, site/sight write/right/rite and so on. They often bring to mind an amusing image, but not precisely the on the writer had in mind. My two favorites so far:
That's horrible. I shutter to think of it.
That really happened? How bazaar!

Oh, and when I used to chat on ICQ I was occassionally told that I used too many big words.</HTML>

Date: December 08, 2002 04:57PM

<HTML>That should have been "critical cases" and "one the writer had in mind". Obviously I can't type today.</HTML>

Date: December 09, 2002 04:02AM

<HTML>Here's another one I just found:

"Beth went over and came back with: a small clutch bag type purse, a small bag
that may have a walkman in it, a baseball cap, a pair of glasses, a
pack of cigarettes and a pair of thick soled sandals with sequence."

(I assume the fellow writing meant sequins).</HTML>

Date: December 09, 2002 10:54AM

<HTML>Well, this isn't quite the same thing, but I once found a glorious misprint in my parents' local paper. It was in an article about a local couple who had set up a modern dance school which was doing quite well, and the comment was something along the lines of "They are also both very keen amateur ballroom dangers." Er, right...</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 09, 2002 01:41PM

<HTML>Reminds me of the time a minister/vicar/priest friend of my father's attempted to get too creative with his spellcheck. He typed up a funeral service for a elderly lady called Grace (who was dead, and so needed it). It was a good service sheet and he was proud of it, so when a gentleman named Colin died, he simply changed a few dates and then used the substitute function to swap "her" for him, and also, tragically "Grace" for "Colin". All seemed fine.
Until the second hymm, was announced as "Amazing Colin".
I think we all can imagine the rest...............</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 10:27AM

<HTML>LOL!!!</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 07:12PM

<HTML>we have this sticker/price tag remover fluid called "Goo-Be-Gone" and in the instructions on the back, it says, "Use a soft cloth to rub Goo-Be-Gone over the sticker residue in a gentile motion." As opposed to a Jewish motion? I think they needed a better proof reader!</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.