New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
'avin fun in Abergavenenenny
Posted by: Andrea (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 25, 2002 04:57PM

<HTML>Well, signings are fun, especially if you meet up with friends and the signee (or is it signer) is nice enough and daft enough to sign anything in sight.

So where were you all? We set off (one less than we'd planned due to something called work), from a very dismal and damp Yorkshire at 7am and travelled up hill and down dale (well really through cuttings and tunnels cos trains don't like ups and downs). Arriving in sunny Abergavenenenny at about 11 and braving that nasty nasty train bridge (why do they build them with holes in?) we took our lives in our hands and ate in the train station cafe, (it has to be seen to be understood). We found the third member of our merry band then wandered up into the town, via the tourist information place where they recommended us about the market, invited us to play in the park and gave me a map.

The market was good, the park was empty but we did find Ottakars (is that spelled right?). They had a display with table and chair by the door ready and waiting but no queue, we looked at it for a bit then wandered on into the shop. It's a nice shop, one of those that's full of books and has a table and chairs for when it all gets too much and you need to read to recover. All it needed was coffee and it would have been perfect :-)

We decided as there was no queue that we'd wander round town for a bit (and find some coffee). There are some pretty shops, though all are built either on an up-hill or a down-hill, I guess that's what you get in Wales, it's even worse than Sheffield. Eventually after getting lost (cos I couldn't find the map) we decided to wander back up to the shop. Still no queue so I bought my Hardback copy (yup I finally got one) and a copy of the short story and we went to make use of the table at the back.

Eventually it got to that time and we wandered back to find Jasper chatting to the women in the shop (sorry I forget your names, but thanks for making us welcome :-) ) He sat down and prepared to sign all my books, one he did with both with this years and last years signature. He deliberately didn't sign my paperback and I pinched a sign which he did sign.

We chatted for ages, poor man had to put up with us, but he and his partner were nice and friendly. Then we wandered off for a coffee and a bun, after accosting a couple of locals, recommending the books and gaining directions to the best cafe in town. Then explored the castle where you went in the entrance then down to the kitchens and lower still to the cellars, obviously only the Welsh are alowed upstairs :-) Then went to catch a train home.

I'll stop rambling now, it was lots of fun and thanks Jasper for being so normal :-)

Andrea
-- Post proof-read by daughter --</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.