New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Time.......
Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 09, 2002 03:27PM

<HTML>Which one of you lot beggering around with time travel on this fforum?
Last week I seemed to be an hour in the future, this week I appear to be living firmly in the past.
Or did I just pass through some kind of temporal distortion on the M62 this morning?</HTML>

Re: Time.......
Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 09, 2002 03:28PM

<HTML>Oh sorry for any confusion, it's the server at work :-)</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 09, 2002 03:38PM

<HTML>Oh dear. My brother seems to be having a little temporal problem. And he hasn't got his own entroposcope yet, either. Should the ChronoGuard eradicate him, can I have his computer?</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 09, 2002 06:02PM

<HTML>If you can find the right temporal distortion I think you might be able to make it into two computers. Or possibly time share it between when it's old and out of date and now.<p>
Although I think our resident ChronoGuard may have something to say about such a frivilous use of space/time.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 10, 2002 11:27AM

<HTML>No, doesn't bother me - I've gone rogue and set up on my own with Minsky, remember?</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 10, 2002 12:43PM

<HTML>If you eradicate him, doesn't that mean he'll never have existed to have a desirable computer in the first place? Which means that you'll never covet his computer (because he won't exist to have one) so you'll never take steps to eradicate him so he *will* exist and so own a computer you covet and so you *will* eradicate him and...... Oh, no, I've gone cross-eyed.......</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 12:55PM

<HTML>I wasn't going to eradicate him personally, you understand ... it was just in case anything untimely happened to him, I got my claim in first ....</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 07:53PM

<HTML>What can I say, the presence of authority figures makes me nervous. I've probably got something to hide...</HTML>

Posted by: poestscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 07:56PM

<HTML>Haven't we all?

My skeletons now have their own walk in wardrobe as it was getting a little crowded in their with my clothes...</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 08:31PM

<HTML>You could always sort of interlock them if you're running out of space. You can do that with skeletons. Just be careful how you do it, though, or you'll end up having to call SO-17.</HTML>

Posted by: poestscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 10:46PM

<HTML>Can I apologise for not paying attention to their/there/they're...

it won't happen again...

btw - metaphor most likely to lead to confusion in a sapphic novel: the 'rosy fingered crack of dawn'.</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 11, 2002 01:14PM

<HTML>I have nothing to hide apart from my complete lack of such desirable qualities as sense, perspective, taste and sanity.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 11, 2002 02:08PM

<HTML>but ooktavia, you're here! Thereby showing a superb sense of perspective, taste and.. er..., ok 2 out of three ain't bad...</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 02:21PM

<HTML>That's actually, er, two out of four. Clearly I'm the only mathematician around here... ;-)</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 02:23PM

<HTML>ah, oops. Though a sense of perspective covers both sense and perspective, so it's 3 out of 4.

And rob's a mathematician, though he'll deny it strenuously.

I'm just an astrophysicist turned librarian turned IT bod. Counting was optional.</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 11, 2002 02:49PM

<HTML>I deny being a mathematician.</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 02:50PM

<HTML>told you. He'll now say something along the lines of being a fuel and energy person, so just burns stuff.</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 02:54PM

<HTML>So what on earth is wrong with being a mathematician?</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 02:55PM

<HTML>nothing in the slightest. Just like there's nothing wrong with being a physicist ( or an astrophysicist). Rob's just not one, that's all. Though he does do big sums, I've seen him.</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 02:57PM

<HTML>Hang on. First you said he was one but he'd deny it, now you're saying he's not one... is he or isn't he? Or is he in some kind of quantum superposition?</HTML>

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.