New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Shakespeare Theory
Posted by: Sam de Smith (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: August 03, 2002 11:00AM

<HTML>So, anyone else think that Thursday's going to be the author of Shakespeare's plays?

Sam.</HTML>

Re: Shakespeare Theory
Posted by: Christian (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 03, 2002 10:29PM

<HTML>Surely that privilege rests with her father who was responsible for distributing the texts and the aforementioned bard who 'got enthusiastic' and penned some more? Or do you forsee a more complicated plot twist? I'm intrigued...</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: September 04, 2002 09:01AM

<HTML>yes, Thursday's dad...

But then I do wonder: did people really speak like that at that time? Couldn't he have used a more user-friendly language for the plays?
The plots are all nice and twisty (and really as they say, there are some basic ones that get repeated over and over lol, the "bard who got enthusiastic" could write but didn't have much autonomous imagination to go away from the plots that Thursday's dad gave him ;)), but the language is somehow... erm.... eek.

Although, in a different way, just give it the right background and it does sound great: I'm talking for example of the movie "Titus", eheheh, or even Kenneth Branagh's "Hamlet"</HTML>

Posted by: Strangely anonymous... (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 04, 2002 08:32PM

<HTML>A more 'user-friendly language' like, er, Esperanto? Anyway, the bard's English is perfectly modern as far as people from Stratford are concerned...

For in the words of the Bard...

Honest, fair Bea, people dost speak that way
In Stratford's merrie town, and merriley
Dost they scorn to use a diktionary.
For foul are words prescrib'd by authors here unknown.
Thus, unkempt in verse, with metre scorned,
We've got 15 acres, and you've got forty more,
And we've got a brand new combine harvester
And we'll give you the key. Zoider, Zoider, Suicoider la la la la la etc.

Okay, so Stratford folk don't really talk like that until just before closing time in the pub, but believe me, there are places in England where the verb 'to be is declined thus:

I be, you be, he be, we be's, you be's, they be's.

And morris dancing is considered cultured, and incest merely a game for all the family... (Apologies to any rustics reading this, but then no, you won't have got electricity yet and anyway you'll be too busy trying to work out how that three-pronged thing on the end of the wire (we call it a p-l-u-g) is supposed to dig vegetables, exactly)

The language of the bard is great, but needs to be spoken to make much sense, and the puns are mostly lost to a modern audience, leaving them weaker than my own sense of humour. Although I'm fond of Lear's 'Every inch a king' (Think about it...;-D )

Before a million people complain that I'm being unfair on the sticks, I grew up here and I'm allowed to mock it. Anybody else does though and I'll be after you in my tractor...</HTML>

Date: September 05, 2002 08:50AM

<HTML>(I promise we won't ruin this thread, but I just HAVE to say this!)

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

You've just made me go through a TERRIBLE embarassing moment here at work!!!!!
I read your poem and I had to actually cover my mouth while laughing, with tears in my eyes, and as I was in this fine state a colleague enters my office to tell me something, and I couldn't stop laughing! She now keeps commenting to everybody that everytime she sees me I'm laughing at the computer, and she also says that she can't hear me coz I laugh without sound! Gosh, if I laughed out loud this would be the happiest sounding office in the world and everybody would consider me CRAZY!

Better go compose myself... *she says, while drying the tears in her eyes and tries to control the chuckling that still appears uninvited...*</HTML>

Date: September 05, 2002 08:53AM

I read your poem and I had to actually cover my mouth while laughing, with tears in my eyes, and as I was in this fine state a colleague enters my office to tell me something, and I couldn't stop laughing! She now keeps commenting to everybody that everytime she sees me I'm laughing at the computer, and she also says that she can't hear me coz I laugh without sound! Gosh, if I laughed out loud this would be the happiest sounding office in the world and everybody would consider me CRAZY!

Better go compose myself... *she says, while drying the tears in her eyes and tries to control the chuckling that still appears uninvited...*</HTML>

Date: September 05, 2002 09:01AM

Date: September 05, 2002 09:05AM

Date: September 05, 2002 10:20AM

<HTML>*kicks comp very hard for posting this damn thing 3 times! - the server kept giving strange messages and I had to press refresh*

can't we delete this?</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (195.224.227.---)
Date: September 05, 2002 11:25AM

<HTML>Nope, you'll have to look like a muppet.</HTML>

Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2002 06:58PM

<HTML>you know, we have places like Stratford (I imagine) in America, too. If you're looking for, as Ben put it, "rustic" types with odd speech patterns, then you need look no further than almost the entire state of West Virginia and pretty much all of North Dakota as well. I find that if a state has a map coordinate in its name, then the people there, more than likely, are much as you describe in Stratford. But a lot of them are named Billy Bob, Bubba, and Junior instead of William, Robert, or Simon :)

Cheers!</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 06, 2002 12:17AM

<HTML>Do they marry their sister's too?

As the old Stratford drinking song goes:

Well my Grandma is my cousin, and my oldest sister too.
I'm not sure 'bout my father, but I'm told his name is Sue...'</HTML>

Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2002 12:58AM

<HTML>well, there is this one song called, "I'm My Own Grandpa" but I think that one was written for people in Kentucky.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 10, 2002 09:24PM

<HTML>What was it Bryson wrote?:

The danger for them is not that they're descended from monkeys but that the monkeys may shortly overtake them...

Wise words indeed, although it was in reference to another denial of evolution.

Obviopusly there are many areas of the world where people like to 'keep it in the family'...</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 10, 2002 09:29PM

<HTML>Real inbreeding occurs in the Forest of Dean. 40,000 people and two surnames... Technically the people there are now clones....</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.