New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
bookjumping
Posted by: Dave Graham (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: August 09, 2002 12:39PM

<HTML>Just finished reading LIAGB, and it appears that I was in it! Imagine my surprise. I knew that I was 'getting into' the story, but had no idea that I'd actually managed to jump into it.

My little boy Eddie appears to have transmogrified into someone called Molly though. Must practice more....

David Graham (p.344)</HTML>

Re: bookjumping
Posted by: Rickster Trickster (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 10, 2002 09:15PM

<HTML>What a co-incidence! Better watch out, David!</HTML>

Date: August 12, 2002 01:56PM

<HTML>Time to get myself a jar of assorted lentils...</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: August 19, 2002 01:59PM

<HTML>Actually the lentils jar is a good idea :)
It just seems so.... plausible!

Unfortunately my bag is already always so loaded that I'm afraid it won't fit. Unless I get a small jar... do you know what's the minimum size for the entropy verification to actually work? :D</HTML>

Date: August 19, 2002 02:50PM

<HTML>Hmmm. I guess you'll need a fair amount of lentils. If you just had 2, they'd always be sorted and you'd spend all day panicking....

I reckon a babyfood jar would be about right (try filling a giant size mayonnaise jar and you'd never lift it...) Fit neatly in most bags. You could call it an 'Entropyometer'...

Maybe not...</HTML>

Date: August 19, 2002 03:46PM

<HTML>LOL
I'd like to see my friends' faces when once in a while I'd get a jar out of my bag, shake it, watch it carefully, then put it back in...

Could be worth a try :D

And babyfood-sized sounds ok to me... I suppose I'd fill it about half-way through, to accomodate for the shaking</HTML>

Date: August 19, 2002 04:44PM

<HTML>tee hee. I can just imagine people's faces. Take the jar out, inspect it, give it a shake then look panicked...

You could colour-coordinate them too. Lentils, split peas, blackeye beans. Hours of endless fun...</HTML>

Posted by: Bea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: August 19, 2002 09:42PM

<HTML>Hey, we could do this!
And we'd recognise each other (Thurs fans, I mean) by the owning and shaking of the jar :D

ehehehe

*goes off to find a small jar or buy one especially - lentils and colour beads too*</HTML>

Date: August 20, 2002 09:00AM

<HTML>hey, coloured beads! Fantastic idea. You could go all psychadelic...

I've got tons of babyfood jars too (the joys of having a toddler). I wonder how much they'd go for on ebay.....

:-)</HTML>

Date: August 20, 2002 09:41AM

<HTML>ebay?
empty babyfood jars or "specially crafted endoscope coincidence verification devices"? I bet you'd get tons more money from the latter ;)</HTML>

Date: August 20, 2002 02:47PM

<HTML>I bet I would. I'm tempted just to see what response I get....</HTML>

Posted by: Wendy Collinson (194.205.4.---)
Date: August 28, 2002 01:18PM

<HTML>So, guys - if you had the chance - and judging by the many creative suggestions re lentils, it won't be long before you do - which book would you most like to jump into?

I fancy Wuthering Heights, if only to see the battle between Ms Havisham and the Pro-Caths. Wonder how Kate Bush would have written about that one? "Heathcliff, it's us, the Cathies, we're home again" .... smash!</HTML>

Posted by: Wendy Collinson (194.205.4.---)
Date: August 28, 2002 01:18PM

<HTML>So, guys - if you had the chance - and judging by the many creative suggestions re lentils, it won't be long before you do - which book would you most like to jump into?

I fancy Wuthering Heights, if only to see the battle between Ms Havisham and the Pro-Caths. Wonder how Kate Bush would have written about that one? "Heathcliff, it's us, the Cathies, we're home again" .... smash!</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 28, 2002 07:39PM

<HTML>With the entropymeter - sorry: "specially crafted endoscope coincidence verification devices" - we could form a Nextian band, kind of like those Inca ones with the panpipes - except replace the panpipes with rattling lentils and as back-beat of literary references.

ScarletBea, have you got hold of some of those Thesaurean maggots? I don't know the meaning of most of those words, let alone how to spell them... ; )</HTML>

Posted by: Dave Graham (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 29, 2002 09:55PM

<HTML>It would have to be LIAGB or TEA, just so I could have a drive in Thursday's car...</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 29, 2002 11:42PM

<HTML>Uh-uh. I'd jump inot Sense and Sensibility, hot foot it to Norland and then start a fight between Miss Havisham and the Red Queen. Just because I'm twisted like that...

Actually I have to confess a sneaking regard for the Red Queen, if only because she has a biological theory named after her. Basically you can run as fast as you like, but can't ever get anywhere. It's liek the arms race, where the Soviets and Americans were roughly matched until the USSR collapsed, but a 198s Russia could have monstered 1950s America (and vice versa)</HTML>

Date: August 30, 2002 08:21AM

<HTML>Oh there are far too many books I'd like to visit...
Let me see:
* some of the Maeve Binchy ones, if only to see what happen to the characters after the book ended (she does that to me lol)
* into 'Duncton Wood', although I suppose I'd have to be in hiding not to frighten them, and I couldn't understand what they were saying and I couldn't go into the library... no... this only works if you're a mole :(
* Roddy Doyle's 'The Commitments': I'd audition for the band :D
* all the historical fiction ones from Sharon Penman or Barbara Erskine, if only to see in truth what was it like to live in Middle Age England, Scotland and Wales (since I like them so much...)

I suppose I'd be kinda scared of jumping into any science fiction ones ;)</HTML>

Date: August 30, 2002 08:46AM

<HTML>and I've just thought: if you jump into any travel guide book, wouldn't it save you the plane tickets? :D

(btw Ben: 1. try getting another mail ;) and 2. if you want to occupy your time in a nice way, visit www.omeworld.com/index.php, register (nothing to it...) and have fun :D )</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (195.224.227.---)
Date: August 30, 2002 01:42PM

<HTML>I always figured the phone directory would get you anywhere - and door to door too.

I' d also go into 'Moby Dick', scupper the ship at the start and save myself the long trudge through the rest of the text...</HTML>

Posted by: jon brierley (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 06, 2002 09:02PM

<HTML>Which book to jump into? Interesting question - you may well love the book, but would you want to live there? E.g., I've read I, Claudius till it fell apart, but live with Caligula.....maybe not. Perhaps if you could jump into a book at a given place - into the Lord of the Rings after the battles - I hear the beer's good in the Green Dragon.

Perhaps the opportunities to cause mayhem are the most attractive....jump into Lake Wobegon and party like it's 1999.....tell Dorothea Brooke to get a life....nip round to the Bloom house and have one's wicked way with Molly before Blazes Boylan gets there....the possibilities are endless, but I've gotta go, because, believe it or not, there's something good on TV!

Jon</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.