New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dried ffrog pills
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 11, 2002 03:08PM

<HTML>In case anyone is wondering why it took me so long to arrive on the Fforum this morning, the answer is that I was making a batch of dried frog pills according to the recipe given in Nanny Ogg's Cookbook. Since I felt they might come in useful at the Christmas lunch in case anyone had forgotten their own supply, I decided to make double quantities.

The recipe calls for one small egg white and 30g of icing sugar, so I duly whisked up two small egg whites and weighed out 60g of sugar. There are a few other ingredients too, but if you want to know what they are you'll have to buy the book. Suffice it to say that when I'd added the entire quantity of sugar, the mixture was still very runny, so I naturally added a little more.

And more. And more. And yet more.

By the time I had added the entire 500g packet of icing sugar, the mixture was just about suitable to be rolled into pills as long as I washed the stickiness off my hands every time I'd done two or three. I can only conclude that what I have made is not dried frog pills, but dried ffrog pills, since they clearly contravene all known laws of physics. Fortunately they seem to be just as effective as the originals.

If anyone else has Nanny Ogg's recipe and wishes to follow it, I suggest that one egg white for double the quantity of other ingredients is quite sufficient, and indeed probably erring on the generous side. In the meantime, I have just under 100 pills drying out on a piece of greaseproof paper, and over half the mixture remaining in a bowl in the fridge, covered with cling film for future use. So you know where to go if you run out.</HTML>

Re: Dried ffrog pills
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 11, 2002 04:19PM

<HTML>either way, they sound splendid, and may cure my confused state today</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 11, 2002 04:26PM

<HTML>Ensure my brother brings back an adequate supply for me .... I feel the need (see top thread for proof).</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 11, 2002 10:10PM

<HTML>You might want to keep the tray away from the window, otherwise the neighbours may get some odd ideas.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 11, 2002 10:14PM

<HTML>My neighbours think I'm crazy anyway, which is pretty perspicacious of them really. ;-)</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.