New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
"Uncultured Rats"
Posted by: Philip Murphy (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: August 21, 2001 01:01AM

<HTML>I just got back from reading the book on holiday. Can't remember the last time I saw an advert for Toast...

But I do remember a radio series entitled "Round the Horne", and unless I'm very much mistaken Mr Fforde does too...</HTML>

Re: &quot;Uncultured Rats&quot;
Posted by: jasper (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: August 21, 2001 11:01AM

<HTML>All too true! The whole 'Round the Horne' series was a huge inspiration for me and the high point of radio comedy, so it seemed only just and right to include at least one of Took and Feldman's many gags in the book. I call them 'easter eggs' or a 'homage' but the less generous might call it thievery. So as not to seem too much of the latter I modified the initial gag which actually went something like this:

1st person (nervous): "What was that noise?''
Williams: (playing creepy spooky person in haunted house) "Mice."
1st person "But I heard swearing!"
Williams: "ill-bred mice..."

Thank you, Took, Feldman, Horne, Williams, Binky Hukkaback, The reverend Horseposture, Julian and Sandy, and all the others for the entertainment...

(In the same way, the 'Rossetionery' translating carbon paper idea was my homage to Douglas Adam's inspired idea for Babel Fish in 'Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.' What Adam's did for speech, I hopefully did for the written word - as long as you press hard enough.)</HTML>

Re: &quot;Uncultured Rats&quot;
Posted by: Philip Murphy (---.btinternet.com)
Date: August 24, 2001 06:46PM

<HTML>It's nice to think that a whole new generation can enjoy all that sort of nonsense...

BTW, the poorly translated french carbon was a proper laugh-out-loud bit for me - I'm sure that Mr Williams would have read it well.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.