New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Cardenio
Posted by: Nicholas Hartley (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 12, 2002 07:55PM

<HTML>I was looking on the internet to check out the truth behind the "Cardenio" plot in "Lost in a Good Book" and I found the following site:

[www.nexttheatre.org]

They are apparently putting on a production of this quasi-Shakespearean play. However, what is truly strange is the name of the theatre where the production is being staged - as you can see by the web address it is "Next Theatre". I swear, this is no joke ;-)

Hmm... what does Thursday's father say about coincidences again... ;-) I think I better get my entroposcope out.... ;-)

-Nick.</HTML>

Re: Cardenio
Posted by: Jasper Fforde (---.man.dial.ntli.net)
Date: August 12, 2002 08:19PM

<HTML>Rather than go through a lot of boring texts which just might have been inspired by the original reading of the Shakespeare/Fletcher text (but probably not) I instead opted for Cervantes' tale of the Ragged Knight Cardenio which is described between chapters 24 - 28 of Don Quixote. It's a romance I suppose because no one dies in the end - and it's pretty complicated and confusing, too. I was going to use more of it in TN2 but soon got tied up in knots. That's the trouble with writing books about classics. I can get hopelessly out of my depth quicker than you can say Bacon.

JFf</HTML>

Re: Cardenio
Posted by: Sid (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: August 13, 2002 12:15AM

<HTML>I think that is the pleasure of books written by 'great' artists such as Shakespeare, you can simply get lost in the words and the language and not have to worry about what it means-unless you have to study for GCSE's etc.
Sid.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.