New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Vote Jane Eyre!
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 12, 2002 12:28PM

<HTML><A HREF="http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,857382,00.html>[media.guardian.co.uk];

<marquee><h1>VOTE JANE EYRE - VOTE JANE EYRE - VOTE JANE EYRE</H1></marquee>

Guess that makes the point...</HTML>

Re: Vote Jane Eyre!
Date: December 12, 2002 12:29PM

<HTML>Do you know, none of that posted...

<A HREF="http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,857382,00.html">Vote Jane Eyre</A></HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 12:30PM

<HTML>hmmm. Makes my point a little better now...</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 12, 2002 12:31PM

<HTML>" ...everything you need to know about how to live your life is there in a poem."

Which poem is that then, and how come I've never read it?</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 12:34PM

<HTML>Breathe In, Breathe out,
Eat, sleep, shag and pass out.</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 12:35PM

<HTML>more Nextian happenings - <a href=" [www.timesonline.co.uk]">[www.timesonline.co.uk];

Date: December 12, 2002 12:45PM

<HTML>You think that's daft - try this: <A HREF"http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2549557.stm"Twinning</A>.

Perhaps the real Swindon could twin with it's Nextian counterpart.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 12, 2002 12:45PM

<HTML>Deeply bizarre...</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 12:47PM

<HTML>Oh, bugger. Try again:

<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2549557.stm">Twinning</a></HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 12:52PM

<HTML>I love it. I _love_ it already. I wonder if I could get Sheffield twinned with Minas Tirith?</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 12:53PM

<HTML>Oh dear, oh dear oh dear oh dear.

If Swindon twinned with itself, then people would assume it was because it was always the last town to get picked for football matches.

Surely there are only two reasons for twinning ceremonies. A: To show the Town Councils political leanings (mostly some pit in East Germany, these ones - or somewhere in the States for Tories) or B: To allow a junket abroad to be designated 'official business'. Normally these ones are in the South of France, the Algarve or Hawaii</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 12:54PM

<HTML>No, but I bet you could get Rotherham into a suicide pact with a slagheap in Mordor.</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 01:00PM

<HTML>That's a fair point. Incidentally, in real life Sheffield is twinned with Donetsk, which is kind of interesting from my point of view because my great-great-grandfather John Hughes actually founded the place (feel free to Google him if you're interested - there is a fair bit about him). I didn't know that when I originally moved here 19 years ago - I mean about the twinning, not about the ancestor. Every now and then I wonder if I could use my family connections to get taken on one of the official exchanges that happen from time to time, but I haven't quite got the brass to try it.

If you do Google him, there is one site that tells you he was Scottish. This is wrong. He was Welsh, look you. Born in Merthyr Tydfil. Not that I have anything against the Scots - my best friend is one - but people ought to get their facts right...</HTML>

Posted by: Rob Johnson (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 12, 2002 01:27PM

<HTML>Do we not want to vote for The Eyre Affair and young Jasper himself ?

If Princess Di can get into the top ten greatest Britons anything could
happen. Get your entroposcopes out...</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 01:33PM

<HTML>Are there enough of us to shamelessly rig the election? ... like they used to say in Belfast, vote early and vote often!</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 01:33PM

<HTML>There was once an Internet poll to find out the greatest human being of all time. It was hijacked by QPR fans under the leadership of my mate Dave Thomas; I didn't actually participate because I wasn't connected at the time, but I heard all about it, naturally. The poll was therefore won by Jamie Pollock, whose heroic own goal saved us from relegation. ;-)

If this gives anyone any devious ideas, I shall smile sweetly and deny all knowledge.</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 01:36PM

<HTML>Well, I'm pretty sure that the Beeb would notice a book published in the last two years storming up into the top five. However if we pick on Jane Eyre then the Eyre Affair will naturally get mentioned so Mr fforde gets plugged by default. Cunning heh?</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 01:38PM

<HTML>Definitely. I like it.</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 01:42PM

<HTML>OK ... I see the plan. Once Jane Eyre is being promoted with a BBC tie-in edition, all we have to do is make sure Carla gives instructions for copies of TEA to be piled near the Jane Eyres.

Now, how do we get TEA on Oprah?</HTML>

Posted by: polly (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 12, 2002 02:25PM

<HTML>Please, no, don't get TEA on Oprah! It's nowhere near depressing enough (TEA, that is, Oprah's way too depressing). And Jonathan Franzen did well enough even though he did refuse to allow The Corrections to be selected as an Oprah Book. Please, Jasper if asked, refuse!

Has anyone told BBC2 that Radio 4 have been running a book club for years?

And, back to a previous theme, along with poll-rigging, there was the time New Labour tried to rig the poll for Tone to win the Today Programme's Man Of The Year .(I'm sure Sarah wasn't involved)</HTML>

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.