New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Eyre Affair - a film?
Posted by: Sarah B (194.117.133.---)
Date: August 13, 2002 10:57AM

<HTML>Yeah, yeah, I know it says in the book that they're making a film (over Thursday's dead, er, disappeared body) but what about making a film in our reality?

Come on... someone out there other than me must think this is a good idea!

It would be soooo cool...

What you all think?
Sarah.</HTML>

Re: The Eyre Affair - a film?
Posted by: Shadow (---.214.121.254.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: August 13, 2002 09:53PM

<HTML>I'd have to say... no. How would you translate the bookworm phenomenon into a movie? Well, you could have the words curling out of peoples mouths as they speak, but frankly I always found that trick a bit disturbing. As interesting as it might be to visually SEE things like the Shakespeare booth wossnames, I'd much rather leave it up to individual imagination rather than see it be sullied by someone else's "artistic vision".

Besides, I'm getting pretty fed up with all these "based on the book..." movies lately. Tell me, is there ANY major movie coming out of Hollywood thses days that ISN'T based on a book, a comic, a video game, a TV show, a previous movie (either a "re-imagining" or a sequel), or "actual events"? And I refuse to consider things like "Master of Disguise" which is just so... so... there are no words in the English language to describe the true horror of things like that. And I don't know any other languages to borrow from. Well, maybe "twisted flax, brazier, vulture, tumour," as the Ancient Egyptians would have written.

Signs was good. Spooky. Effective. Fun. Made me paranoid about aliens outside my window all over again. ;)

But an EA movie? Much as I love Fforde and the Nextian world, I hope it never happens.

Shadow</HTML>

Posted by: D (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: August 14, 2002 09:57AM

<HTML>Yes - it is obviously a candidate for what would be an entertaining film. Who would play Thursday Next? I can't think of any English actresses who have the wit, style and panache to play the part.........a bit of a 21st Century Emma Peel required? I guess Diana Rigg in her prime would have been ideal..</HTML>

Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2002 01:07AM

<HTML>I would LOVE a movie based on the book. Just think of how many more Nextians there would be!

Imogen Stubbs would be good, Catherine Zeta-Jones would also be good, but they'd have to "dull down" her looks a bit. Kate Winslet? I wish I knew more Brit actresses!

How about Jeremy Northam for Landen? HUBBA HUBBA!

Acheron Hades? How about Alan Rickman or Jonathan Pryce? Rickman would be great because he can play the bad guy with a great sense of humor (think Robin Hood Prince of Thieves)

Bowden Cable? Maybe Ewan McGregor? Again, HUBBA HUBBA!

Jack Schitt? How about the guy who played the baddie in The Matrix and the head elf in The Lord of the Rings? (Can never remember his name!) I kept picturing him every time I read anything Jack Schitt said. Jeremy Irons would be good too.

Uncle Mycroft? Christopher Lloyd...definitely!

And besides, if Jasper were to allow a movie, he'd probably help write the screenplay AND he'd have a huge part in dealing with the production because of his experience in the industry. So I wouldn't worry too much about the movie "sullying" the imagination.</HTML>

Posted by: Emily (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 16, 2002 03:03AM

<HTML>OK, so if they did a movie they would probably screw it up......but it would be fun! And us die hard dodos will always hold the books dear, whatever happens.
Anyway, I am a HUGE fan of Frances O'Connor. She is Australian but is very talented at doing any accent. In my opinion I think she would make a wonderful Thursday.</HTML>

Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2002 06:26PM

<HTML>OOOh, I can't stand Frances O'Connor! She reminds me of an Alsatian/German Sheppard dog. And I always feel she comes across as cold and insincere in her acting. She ruined "Mansfield Park" for me :(

How about Elizabeth Hurley!? Again, dull the looks down slightly, but she's pretty much Brit to the core and she's pretty good at delivering a straight line that's intended to sound funny. Good at sarcasm. (Train of thought since Liz and Frances were in "Bedeviled" together. Great movie except for Frances!)</HTML>

Posted by: jon brierley (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 17, 2002 08:39PM

<HTML>Now I know none of you transatlantic types will ever have heard of her - unless you ever got our TV series Cold Feet on PBS or cable - but my ideal Thursday is the very feisty Fay Ripley. She has the requisite not-too-glamorous looks (sorry Fay), can do sarcasm up to 11, has talent to spare and can probably do a pretty good Swindon accent.

But knowing how the Real World works any film would get made over for or by Hollywood, and Swindon would be replaced by Power Cable, Nebraska and Thursday played by Courtney Cox. God help us, every one.</HTML>

Posted by: screamin\' (---.nyc.bestweb.net)
Date: August 24, 2002 06:03PM

<HTML>How bout the chick who was in An Unsuitable Job for a Woman - Baxendale, wasn't it? I pictured her as Next when I read the book.
I envy all you Brits, having the sequel already, leaving me to dodge spoilers...</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: August 26, 2002 06:49PM

<HTML>Helen Baxendale, you mean? She was in Friends as Ross's English girlfriend Emily for a while. Hmm... maybe. She was pretty good.

Perhaps...

What about Rachel Weiss? I loved her in the Mummy...</HTML>

Posted by: ben tymens (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 27, 2002 02:01AM

<HTML>The only way for The Eyre Affair to be amde into a decent film is for it to be made on a hideously small budget by some unknown director with a load o funknown actors. Consequently it'd be a sleeper hit that nobody watched until it came out on DVD.

God, can you imagine the Hollywood (Goliath?) treatment. Imagine the board meeting on that one - "Well we love the book, Mr Fforde, but we'd like to change a few things...

1) The whole book thing, although we might mention them in passing, but we can't afford to alienate people who might be concerned that there's any art involved in the movie.

2) This alternate history. What our audiences want is good, simple, accurate history like Saving Private Ryan and U-571

3) England. It's a very English book, but we can't let English people ruin it for an American audience. Could we possibly just keep a token English character to add a chance for the Yanks to be patronising at soebody? This Hades guy might be good as a Brit though...

4) The names. I mean 'Thursday Next'? Jeez, were you writing it in your diary and got confused or what? Throw us a freakin' bone here..."

Basically you'd end up with 'Notting Hill 2 - The Boredom Returns'...</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: August 27, 2002 08:29AM

<HTML>lolololol Ben, that just looks like Thursday's interview in the tv program (LIAGB's 1st chapter): maybe we'd end up with a movie about dodos :D</HTML>

Posted by: ben tymens (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 27, 2002 11:06PM

<HTML>Now that could be quite fun. Pitch it to Hollywood now! Think of the tie-ins Cordelia could wrangle from a film that spoofs Spy Kids (or is that beyond parody?)and uses Dodos instead, saving SO-27 in unlikely ways.

Iamgine it - everything Hollywood requires: Cute Characters!, Mad, Evil Genetic Scientists!, Product Placerments! (viz: Toast & Marshmallows), Endless Sequels!

Even the dialogue would be better than most of that found in, say, the last Star Wars film. 'Plok!' can carry nuances far beyond the range of most human understanding...

Remember dafter films have been made before. I've watched most of them.</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 28, 2002 12:42AM

<HTML>'The Pickwick Papers' - sort of like the 'Odessa Files' except...

(still the same ben, but chastised as 'dumb' by more security minded people for having second name)</HTML>

Posted by: screamin' (---.maimonidesmed.org)
Date: August 30, 2002 07:12PM

<HTML>"...Helen Baxendale, you mean? She was in Friends as Ross's English girlfriend Emily for a while. Hmm... maybe. She was pretty good..."

Yes, Helen Baxendale. And shh - please don't mention Fiends to me. Ross is an @!#$. And Friends don't let friends watch Friends. ;)

Back on topic - Ben is right. Hollywood can't do it. I imagine the BBC will do it and sooner or later twill appear in the U.S. on PBS as a Mystery episode, with some old Poirot fud-fans making a fuss about mixing genres.</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 31, 2002 11:04AM

<HTML>It'd be best on radio, 'cause Thursday will never look right on TV. The most seductive thing about her is that she's totally real - a little weary. There's a link to an interview with Mr Fforde somewhere in the chat about getting hold of some readies. Quite interesting as Mr Fforde writes as if it's a film, something which has been said about Pratchett as well, but the Discworld comes from somewhere else, despite lazy attempts by some to go 'Amusing writer, element of fantasy, fanatic fans (just wait and see): obviously one is just a version of the other'.

If you want to see just how hard it is to categorise the Thursday Nexts, just look at Amazon's struggle to categorise it.</HTML>

Posted by: christof (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 02, 2002 12:15AM

<HTML>All of the actresses you've all mentioned are about ten years too old (Catherine ZT, puhrlease!) Thursday's 35 in tEA. Best one so far is Fay Ripley I reckon, that could deffinately work in my eyes. Alan Rickman or Jonathan Price for Hades, obvious but that probably means that its the best idea. Ewan McGregor for Bowden, don't think so.
Bit torn as to wether a film could work anyway, I'm big film buff but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with the bastardisation of my personal image.
And to be honest I'm the only person I know who's even heard of these books, let alon read them, and I quite like it being this little discovery of mine and introducing it to my friends. Selfish I know.</HTML>

Posted by: christof (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 02, 2002 12:15AM

<HTML>All of the actresses you've all mentioned are about ten years too old (Catherine ZT, puhrlease!) Thursday's 35 in tEA. Best one so far is Fay Ripley I reckon, that could deffinately work in my eyes. Alan Rickman or Jonathan Price for Hades, obvious but that probably means that its the best idea. Ewan McGregor for Bowden, don't think so.
Bit torn as to wether a film could work anyway, I'm big film buff but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with the bastardisation of my personal image.
And to be honest I'm the only person I know who's even heard of these books, let alon read them, and I quite like it being this little discovery of mine and introducing it to my friends. Selfish I know.</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: September 02, 2002 08:17AM

<HTML>Christof, I kinda agree with you... the movies based on books I love always let me down! (yes, even The Lord of the Rings....)

At the moment I'm shaking all over about A.S.Byatt's Possession, and what exactly they did of that wonderful, and so hard to put into film, book.....

Just one thing... not that I agree with Catherine ZJ either, but if anything she's not too old, she's too young... she's about 24 or something...</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (195.224.227.---)
Date: September 02, 2002 02:10PM

<HTML>Nah, that's too much cosmetic surgery for you...

Fay Ripley could be interesting, agreed...

Terry Gilliam might make an isnteresting director for it. It might not look like the book, but it would sure as hell be as interesting. If only for the inevitable budget crisis with the studios... Anybody see 'Lost in La Mancha' ?</HTML>

Posted by: Lisa Elliott Next (195.224.127.---)
Date: September 05, 2002 03:56PM

<HTML>Sarah,
I am in total agreeance. After I had finished reading, my mind was ticking over with casting ideas etc. Problem is, what if someone gets the rights and stuffs it? There is nothing worse than having a favourite book ruined by some pip-squeak. Double-edged sword really isn't it? Who could we get to direct?</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.