New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Eyre Affair - a film?
Posted by: Jasper (---.man.dial.ntli.net)
Date: September 05, 2002 05:01PM

<HTML>The film rights are still with me, never fear. I have a saying that goes: 'If I don't make it, it doesn't get made.' I guess that could be translated as 'no-one gets to screw it up except me.' - But at least I can then say: 'Well, yes, a hopeless farrago with no cinematic merits was just the look I was after' and who can argue? As for casting, it has to be the gorgeous and highly talented Lola Vavoom. I would also like to point out that we are just good friends and good friends often rub oil into each other shoulders on martinique - and her bikini fell off when I was trying to fix a light bulb late one night in her chalet - how did I know 'The Mole' photographers would be there? honest.

Hope this has cleared everything up,

Jasper Fforde</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 06, 2002 12:38AM

<HTML>I have those manic moments of confession as well.

"A hopeless farrago with no cinematic merits" sounds pretty much like a Hollywood blockbuster to me...

Glad to see the casting is in 'capable' hands; and based upon the merits of Ms Vavoom, they'd have to be pretty big, 'capable' hands.

(Ps Mr Fforde, could I possibly have the role of 'third dodo from the left' ?)</HTML>

Posted by: jon brierley (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 06, 2002 08:49PM

<HTML>Yes...perhaps the ol' beeb there are the place for the screen adaptation...as someone percipiently pointed out the Nextian world is a very English one...can you imagine Hollywood struggling with all the Welsh stuff, and indeed the whole concept of Swindon? And since I suggested it, in my mind Fay Ripley IS Thursday. So, Jasper be sure and sell the rights to the good ol' BBC for Andrew Davies to create a six-part Sunday night series from. Of course, if Spielberg offers you squillions of dollars for the rights, you take the money and run..chances are it would never get made anyway, and a squillion dollars is.. a lot of money.

This post is a direct consequence of a bottle of red wine and a damn good dinner (thanks Claire) and in no way motivated by a desire to see Fay Ripley with her kit off. (What d'you mean, Thursday never gets her kit off?.....she does the way I read it).

Jon</HTML>

Posted by: charles ronayne (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 07, 2002 04:17PM

<HTML>I find the idea of a flim quite an intriguing one. Having heard who you would all like to play the part, how about who you would like to play? I'd probably see myself as a bit of a Bowden. slightly humour impaired and love alwys going unrequitted. Actually I hope if Thursday can't get Landen back she does get it on with Bowden, they compliment each other so well.</HTML>

Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2002 01:03AM

<HTML>Hmmm...I think I'd like to play Thursday's mother. You know she's a lot more "there" than she lets on. I have a feeling she and Granny Next will play a larger part in TN3. Plus, her husband isn't always there leaving dirty socks and underwear strewn about the mauve colored bedroom! He's only there for conjugal visits! All the good 'bits' without the grief!</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: September 10, 2002 07:06PM

<HTML>Hey Jasper et al,

Well I'm very happy to see that I'm not the only one thinking about this.

I'd like to be.. umm... Pickwick? But I guess that's genetically impossible, so perhaps Cordelia Flakk, or maybe Granny Next. She's a sharp wit, most definitely.

Well, I can still dream about the film. I *do* think it would be a good idea. Honest.

Back to my little corner,

Sarah.</HTML>

Posted by: Rochester (---.th.hiway.co.uk)
Date: September 25, 2002 08:12PM

<HTML>Well, I think its obvious who I would like to play, haven't left much room for appearances in adaptations of the follow-up book(s), though.

Jon Brierly's point about the colloquial nature of the book is most pertinent. A first viewing for us living in the UK and then if they like it I'm sure the Americans will snap it up with a 'quality' Amero-centric slant thrown in for good measure. But why the Beeb? An independent production company such as Tiger Aspect would make a much better job of it and they could take it in whichever direction they feel appropriate, as opposed to having to conform to the structured nature of a BBC production.

But seeing as Mr. Fforde is probably busy with other projects it is the Nextians who should try to adapt the book. That's ten episodes, roughly three chapters in each and by the end of the first episode we already see Thursday taking her role with SO-5. Mr. Fforde could then pass on the manuscript to Lola Vavoom for casting and surely the quality of the book/story and messages it carries within will win over any actor she chooses - not to mention her ample bosom working well to entice the male actors to join.

Anyway, enough ramblings - why don't you all have a go at writing an hour long episode? It would be a fun exercise to see everyones' difering methods of tackling the elements that don't readily translate to the screen.

Ali.</HTML>

Posted by: poestscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 20, 2002 01:34AM

<HTML>Question - if all these people, who a mere three months later are the mainstay of the fforum, were posting here then, how did it take so long for them to start bunging loads of stuff up that made me fall repeatedly off my chair and covince me I might actually be able to write?</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.