New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Jasper in the US
Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 12, 2002 02:20PM

<HTML>Mr Ff. has now posted the dates (April 8 - 29 2003) he will be in the US signing books. See <A HREF="http://www.jasperfforde.com/appearances.html" Appearances</A> for details. He's put up a new bio, as well; <A HREF="http://www.jasperfforde.com/bio.html" Short Bio</A>.

Just thought you'd like to know.</HTML>

Re: Jasper in the US
Date: December 12, 2002 02:21PM

<HTML>So much for Ben's HTML course! The links do work, mind.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 12, 2002 02:24PM

<HTML>You didn't close the tag at the start (after sticking the "" over it, you still need to finish the tag in the standard way - with the pointy brackets around them. sorry, I assumed that you realised you need both pointy brackets on EVERY tag you write.</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 02:31PM

<HTML>I was getting confused because ... um, I'm an idiot, really. I was going to give some plausible excuse there, but decided it wouldn't really fool anybody.

Anyway, if you go the <A HREF="http://www.jasperfforde.com/appearances.html">Appearances</A> page (is that right?) and click on the link to the Swindon Festival website, you will see that said site makes no reference to our Jasper, who belives he is to be in attendance on Wednesday 8th May. Now, I was hoping to go, but I'd like a little confirmation here. Is the lack of jasperity a cock-up, or is some sinister ChronoGuard/Goliath thing going on?</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 02:35PM

<HTML>That's better. Now we can just tell you the tags and let you play with them yourself, without them dissapearing on us...

to do a <sub><font color="red">r</font></sub><font color="orange">a</font><sup><font color="yellow">i</font><font color="lime">n</font><font color="limegreen">b</font></sup><font color="blue">o</font><sub><font color="purple">w</font></sub> requires mucking about with the colours and also the SUB and SUP tags for SUBscript and SUPerscript respectively - now you try!

Alternatively look at the code somebody else has written by clicking on "view" and then "source" - this is how I learnt to use some of the devilish ones you get using the DIV tag - but that one would really muck up the fforum, so I won't.</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 02:40PM

<HTML>I figure that if Jasper reckons he's going to be there, it's probably a hint. I'm pretty sure that most events have a fair amount of 'oops, forgot to bung him on the website' about them. Or it's a cruel hoax on the part of Mr Fforde. I've just realised that I ight be stranded in the wilds of Scotland for it. Dammit. i'll only have been up there for a week and a half, seems a little silly to be coming back down immediately...</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 02:46PM

<HTML>Actually, having just noticed the dates for his US tour and his alleged Swindon appearance, he may well be there but a bit jet-lagged. Which makes it all the more important we know where he's going to be. I mean, in a theatre? In a school hall? On a soapbox in the middle of Fleming Way? Who can tell? And what time? And how much? We need to know these things. I'm sure if Swindon SO-27 were in charge of this Festival, things would be better organised ....</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 02:50PM

<HTML>It might be better organised, but you can bet your bottom dollar there'd be an outbreak of 'weird' to send it awry.</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 02:52PM

<HTML>and that would be a problem because ....?

I'm all for an outbreak of weird, myself.</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 03:04PM

<HTML>'Cause I've forgotten the thread it was going to go in, I've found out some Welsh swearing - just to prove it's out there. So, next time you're chasing Hades, you can fit in with the natives.

<A HREF="http://www.clwbmalucachu.co.uk/cheat/cheat_swearing.htm">disgleirio fel ceilliau ci </A></HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: December 12, 2002 03:05PM

<HTML>Hmmm....still doesn't tell me exactly when he'll be in Chicago, which is the nearest city to me (about a 5 hour drive one way). If it's near a weekend, I might be able to organize a minivacation in the Windy City to coincide, which would make it more worth the trip.

And while I might take up my friend's suggestion to ask Jasper to sign Pickwick's foot, I am not going to follow up on the second half of that suggestion and sell her on ebay. MY dodo!</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 03:10PM

<HTML>Once again I am rmeinded just how big the States are. And reminded of "As you see, Mr Bond, the satellite is, at present, over Kansas. But if we destroy Kansas, the world may not hear about it for years."</HTML>

Re: Welsh swearing
Date: December 12, 2002 03:36PM

<HTML>Fantastic. Wish I'd known those when being hassled by yobboes in Blaenau Ffestiniog. And what have the Welsh got against grannies?</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: December 12, 2002 04:30PM

<HTML>Yep, the US is big. For reference, here is how far it is to the other cities on Jasper's tour, according to Yahoo maps (and this is driving on expressways).

Chicago: 4 hours (if you don't hit rush hour, which runs from 3pm-9pm)
Madison: 6 hours
Milwaukee: 6 hours
St. Louis: 8 hours
Philadlephia: 9 hours
New York: 9.5 hours
Boston: 12 hours
New Orleans: 16 hours
Phoenix: 31.5 hours
San Diego: 36.5 hours
San Francisco: 36.5 hours</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 04:38PM

<HTML>So by the time he gets to Phoenix he'll be knackered. Everybody knows it's 24 hours from Tulsa, and judging by the itinerary no-one at Hodder knows the way to San Jose.

Sorry about that, but I've got to get my kicks somewhere ...</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 12, 2002 04:44PM

<HTML>don't forget Winona...</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 04:49PM

<HTML>didn't somebody steal that, or have I got the story wrong?</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: December 12, 2002 04:49PM

<HTML>76 rejection letters!!!!!!!!!!!!
They must be soooo mad now ehehehhee

Jasper's like me, I also counted all my job rejection letters before I got my 1st job... eventually when I moved hourse I threw them all away, bleh
:D</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: December 12, 2002 05:07PM

<HTML>i think this is actually more like Adrian Mole...</HTML>

Re: book tour
Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2002 05:31PM

<HTML>I guess I'll just have to go to the Philadelphia signing. That's about 3-5 hours away, depending on traffic. (my area of Virginia has the 3rd worst traffic in the country and I live 10 miles from the #1 worst intersection in the country! - 3 highways and 4 local roads all merge at one point!! We call it the Mixing Bowl or sometimes the Spaghetti Bowl.)

Maybe I'll be able to drag my hubby up there with me. (along with all my various book copies and digital camera) So I'll need him to carry stuff [big grin]

Now, if I could just get the exact date of the signing, we can get the ball rolling on plans!</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.