New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Adjectivores
Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: August 19, 2002 01:27PM

<HTML>Although Thursday might get me for this, I think some 19th century books would improve greatly if attacked by some adjectivores.
I've read Austen, the Brontes, Hardy and Henry James, but I can't seem to warm up to them when they get more.... erm... descriptive. Maybe I'm wrong, but for me that just bores me, I prefer things to be left more to my imagination... and it's really a 'time' thing, coz portuguese authors from the same time (I'm portuguese btw) are also extremely descriptive, and apart from the times when I had to read them for school, I never wanted to pick them up again...

Can somebody let some adjectivores lose on those books? Preferably in the main library? ;)

(btw, I got a photo of Thursday's car :D )</HTML>

Re: Adjectivores
Posted by: Dave Graham (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: August 19, 2002 04:47PM

<HTML>Can you get different types of Adjectivore?

What I'd like is an Adjectivore that would change the adjective to something similar - I recall one set of sci-fi novels in particular - The Gap Sequence by some chap whose name escapes me, in which the word 'howl' was used at least once a chapter.

Actually, I think I'm after a Thesaurivore.

Hmmm....

(btw where did you get the pic??)</HTML>

Posted by: Bea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: August 19, 2002 09:39PM

<HTML>lol I think the thesaurivore would completely transform the book into a different one.... just imagine... every word replaced by a sinonimous (sp?) one.... whoa.... GREAT :D

I got the pic when I bought my copy of The Eyre Affair, it was inside, and I only noticed it (and that it was a signed copy lol) when I got home! Lucky me, I guess...
Does this forum accept scans? I could try and do one and post it...</HTML>

Posted by: charles ronayne (212.90.34.---)
Date: August 19, 2002 10:25PM

<HTML>i think the guy you were thinking of was called stephen donaldson and yes i do agree he does tend to go a bit over the top. Although I would also suggest that these strange creatures would be much better placed in Paradise Lost where the word as followed by a simile of some kind turns up at least once a page. and by the way i do agree with granny Next that if you read that along with a couple of other novels it can be dangerous for you health. One reading of Paradise lost and my head was spinning.</HTML>

Posted by: Dave Graham (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: August 20, 2002 09:20AM

<HTML>Ah, Stephen Donaldson, that's the chap. Don't get me wrong, it was a cracking good read, could just have done without all the howling... ;-) It was one of those things that once you've noticed it, you can't miss it. Bit like the Stormtrooper banging his head in Star Wars - once you've seen it you can't avoid looking out for it, no matter how hard you try.

Or is that just me? Gulp.

Have you ever read any L Ron Hubbard? Thinking of the Mission:Earth series in particular - I did a count of exclamation marks and there were 37 on one page alone. I think he was on some kind of commission per punctuation mark....

I'll keep an eye out for Paradise Lost. Don't want to jump into it by accident...</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 17, 2002 12:47PM

<HTML>Remember what Terry Pratchett said- Use of more than 5 exclamation marks in one sentence is a sign of an unbalanced mind!!!!</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.