New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Noodles
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 19, 2002 02:58PM

<HTML>ah, we're back with sound. We apologise for the interruption in your noodle report.

Noodles were v.good. I'm told the rice dishes were nice too. I left this lot ordering puddings (rotten bunch) as I had to dash back. Adam took pics, Wilfred wore his tabard, and we talked about a veritable plethora of topics, spanish shoes and bra sizes being but two....

it was fun.</HTML>

Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 19, 2002 02:59PM

<HTML>That was all I could manage - had to look like I was doing some work after having a 90 minute lunchbreak.

Anyway, I'm not one of the official reporters for this forum (that's down to the people who can actually write) but I do have some more snippets for you:

The Dried (f)Frog pills were good and Wilfred did look smart in his new tabard, he was also very well behaved and didn't try to steal my beer (mind you I did have a quiet word with him, quoting from the bible, 'And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to pilfer and drink my beer' Ezekiel 25:17).</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 19, 2002 03:04PM

<HTML>Well, I'll just have to hope I can get a more coherent and detailed report from Sarah. And I sincerely hope you've saved some dried ffrog pills for me, young man.</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 03:08PM

<HTML>hey! I didn't get any dried ffrog pills!</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 19, 2002 03:18PM

<HTML>We realised that after you left. I ate your share. Very nice they were too...</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 03:20PM

<HTML>bah humbug. Or lack thereof. you could have brought some round on saturday!

*sniff*</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 03:40PM

<HTML>Erm, actually, I ate your share our kid (I'm sure Sarah will post you some if you ask nicely).</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 19, 2002 03:42PM

<HTML>* repeat of Dave's last post *</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 03:49PM

<HTML>you could have at least pretended Wilfred ate our share...</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 05:02PM

<HTML>I don't think we'd have got away with it, not now that hs's started posting on here.</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 05:03PM

<HTML>ah, true. Where are those pictures, btw?</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: December 19, 2002 05:04PM

<HTML>Is it totally impossible for guys to describe something?
Is it something in your genes?

*shakes head*

Sarah, please, tell us how lunch went :)</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 05:07PM

<HTML>My noodle soup was very nice. Hot miso broth, full of noodles, chicken, pak choi and beansprouts. I ate them with chopsticks and a small china spoon. I had green tea, the teapot was white and it was very nice.

how's that?</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: December 19, 2002 05:20PM

<HTML>LOL
I want feelings, talks, descriptions, gossip ;)

Did you discuss TN? Our stories? Were you uncomfortable at first about meeting? Did you warm up to each other easily? Did you laugh loads?</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 19, 2002 05:24PM

<HTML>Not really. A bit. No. Pretty much. Yes.

(But not necessarily in that order.)

After that outburst, I feel all washed up emotionally.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 19, 2002 05:35PM

<HTML>Finally back in Sheffield... whew...

First of all, humble apologies to Dave for not being sufficiently on the ball to offer him a dried ffrog pill before he left. I've got plenty of them, so if anyone wants any, please e-mail me so we can sort something out. (They taste mostly of cinnamon, actually...)

Coherent report? Well, let's see. David - that's my friend, who sometimes calls himself Dave too but I'd better call him David to avoid confusion - produced a photo of Chris Crustacean, who has recently disappeared (as will shortly be revealed in "The Bodyswappers"). In the Nextian universe, David is JRR-862829; there are a <i>lot</i> of Tolkien fans. The Tolkien Society are after Crustacean for a variety of heinous literary crimes, and it's also rumoured that he may have abused his position in the ChronoGuard in order to get a skateboard into <i>The Lord of the Rings</i> (for those who haven't seen the new film, Legolas rides it down a flight of steps in Helm's Deep, causing instant apoplexy among those who had read the book). We were all far too polite to say that Crustacean looked awfully like David apart from the moustache. ;-) Adam took a lot of photos with his digital camera, and I don't actually remember him quoting Ezekiel at Wilfred; he did, however, say that it would be a brave penguin who tried to come between him and his beer. I observed that Wilfred wasn't so much brave as stupid. And for the record, Ezekiel 25:17 reads "I will wreak terrible revenge on them and furious punishment, and they will know that I am the Lord when I let loose my vengeance upon them." (That's my own translation from the nearest Bible to hand, which happened to be in Italian - I can't just find my NIV.) Oh well, don't worry, Adam - at least the verse does exist, even if it doesn't mention beer... ;-)

Having sampled the food, I can now add my own enthusiastic recommendation of the place to everyone else's; there was an enormous choice on the menu including plenty of vegetarian options. In the end I went for what I think they called a Khao Pad, which is basically fried rice with the culinary equivalent of ribbons and bells on. It was delicious, and everyone else seemed to be enjoying their food as much as I was. I'd never used chopsticks before but they turned out to be not too difficult; they will bring you a spoon and fork on request, but since everyone else was going for the chopsticks I wasn't going to chicken out. The main problem with them turned out to be separating them, in fact; they arrived stuck together in a paper sleeve, and I discovered that due to my weak wrists I couldn't split them apart. (Many thanks to Rob for helping out here!) The desserts mainly had an oriental flavour too, and I might have been tempted to go for one of the more exotic ones had there not been chocolate ice cream on the menu. I am a shameless chocoholic, especially where ice cream is also involved. No, we didn't have to eat <i>that</i> with chopsticks, otherwise I think we'd all still be there.

Yes, I can confirm that Spanish shoes and bra sizes were mentioned; no-one quite dared to ask what mine was, but I did take a measure of pity on them and divulge that I was a DD cup... It's all right, wives and girlfriends may relax - it's just that David owns a lingerie business. He caters for almost all sizes (apart from Adam's girlfriend, sadly, but he's working on that one), and his site can be found on www.doublerainbow.co.uk. There, end of plug! Well, I had to put it in really, as this chap looks like giving me a job...

Finally: it was great meeting Adam, Dave and Rob (putting them in alphabetical order for the sake of fairness); it was a pity Ben (and everyone else) couldn't be there; it was tremendous fun, and when can we do it again?!

And one last word from Wilfred: plick!</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 19, 2002 08:08PM

<HTML>I'm sure I speak for all on the fforum when I say thank-you to Sarah for a proper account of proceedings ..... Wilfred would have been more use than the rest of you. Pictures of this momentous encounter will be posted just as soon as Adam lets me have them.

For those who don't know, Ezekiel 25:17 is a running gag used by Jules (Samuel L Jackson) in that great film <I>Pulp Fiction</I>. The verse as quoted by Jules (I believe from the King James version) is;

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish, and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and goodwill, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down on thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Whereupon he then terminates somebody, with extreme prejudice.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: December 19, 2002 10:45PM

<HTML>indeed, many thanks to sarah for such a complete account of what happened! Glad you liked the food, it's always a worry when you take people somewhere new.

Yourself and David acquitted yourselves magnificently with chopsticks. Noodles with chopsticks is one thing, clearing a plate of rice is another. Top marks!

And thanks for clearing up the photo issue - it was quite noisy in the restaurant and I didn't quite catch who you'd said it was - I think I'm partially deaf in this respect. Put me in a crowded room with someone I don't know and unless they are directly in front of me and I can see their mouth, I'm knackered. Apologies therefore if I looked a little befuddled and smiled a lot.

I did like Wilfred's tabard though. I think the cats should get them too, each with "I'm a dodo" on it. That should confuse people. Though not the waitress in Tampopo, who didn't bat an eyelid at seeing a penguin in an "I'm a dodo" tabard at the table. Top girl, that.</HTML>

Date: December 20, 2002 09:42AM

<HTML>I'll try to get the photos to Jon tonight (probably tomorrow as I'm going out tonight). BTW Sarah, tell David she's 28E/30DD not 28DD as I originally thought and she'll be checking out the website soon.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 20, 2002 11:03AM

<HTML>David says plenty in 30DD - nearly all to order, but he's glad to refund anything that isn't suitable.</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.