New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Request from Author 2
Posted by: Jasper Fforde (---.man.dial.ntli.net)
Date: December 18, 2002 12:25PM

<HTML>Hi Guys - seasonal good cheer and all that wot-not. What have you done to my Fforum?!? I'll get the mechanics in, never fear. Thing is, I can't keep pace with all the postings and I really want to include the poetry, songs and stuff into my site. So, could you send me your contributions (text in body of email, please and with your full name) under the following headings and I'll weave them into the site somewhere...

The Nextian Songbook

Pickwick's Poetry Place

Nextian Pastiches

Miscellaneous

Hoorah! Right, back to TN3. Where was I? Oh yes, Thursday has escaped from the Grammarsites and is at the 'Wuthering Heights' rage counselling session..

To work, to work, I must away!

Jasper</HTML>

Re: Request from Author 2
Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: December 18, 2002 02:01PM

<HTML>YAY

Merry Christmas to you too :)
And of course, may 2003 bring TN3 :D

Maybe someone with free time in their hands (hint hint) can collect everything and send it to Jasper, instead of splitting by writer?
Let's do it like this:
Jon collects all pastiches
Ben collects all poetry
Dave collects all songs
erm... and someone finds the miscellaneous (whatever goes in there...)

(me being bossy ;))</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 18, 2002 02:07PM

<HTML>and not only bossy, but too late ... I've already stuffed Mr. Ff's mailbox with all my contributions. Slow day at work.</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: December 18, 2002 02:17PM

<HTML>oh oops sorry</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 18, 2002 02:20PM

<HTML>And a very merry Christmas to you too, Mr Fforde. Shall I collect the miscellaneous? ;-)</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: December 18, 2002 02:21PM

<HTML>it seems it's the men who have time on their hands...
;-)</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: December 18, 2002 02:28PM

<HTML>Yep, I've already sent him my "Champions" spoof too.

Slow day at work here too, and the department Christmas party is at 4. I'm told they're having Kareoke this year, in addition to skits, which could be frightening. Fortunately, my lab is not planning to embarass ourselves this year, although one of our graduate students is helping the lab down the hall write a song about the pancreas to the tune of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Have I mentioned that I work in a medical research laboratory?</HTML>

Date: December 18, 2002 02:42PM

<HTML>A song about the pancreas to <i>any</i> tune sounds fascinatingly weird. You are going to manage to get a copy onto the Fforum now you've mentioned the subject, I hope? :-)</HTML>

Date: December 18, 2002 02:48PM

<HTML>In my opinion internal organs should know their place and not seek attention by having songs written about them. A good pancreas doesn't get above it's station (the one next door to King's Cross).</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: December 18, 2002 02:57PM

<HTML>Well, I've just been informed by said grad student that he is no longer assisting them with the song, since it was too cheesy for him to wish any involvement.

So while I'll probably hear it, I may or may not get a copy of the words. The bit of it I heard him reading suggests that his assessment of it's cheese factor is correct. And it scanned pretty badly too.</HTML>

Posted by: polly (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 18, 2002 03:31PM

<HTML>Happy Christmas Jasper. (And also to everyone else on the Fforum) Glad to hear TN3 is progressing nicely, and can't wait to read the Wuthering Heights rage counselling!! Perhaps while that's going on, poor Jude the Obscure could have some grief/ depression therapy. And Angel and Tess could maybe pop along to Relate?

As regards songs about internal organs, the pancreas sounds reasonably easy. Short, snappy, and the option for making bad puns about London railway stations (see how quickly Jon got in there?) I used to work on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. Try getting that to scan to _any_ Christmas related tune. (Yes, you know who you are, this IS a challenge)</HTML>

Date: December 18, 2002 03:56PM

<HTML>Challenges can only be accepted ... ahem;

We three glands of the axis are
Making secretions to keep you at par
Hypothalamus, Pituitary
Adrenal best by far!

Oh, glands of wonder, glands of Life
Glands cut up by the surgeon’s knife
Not depleting, still secreting
Keeping you all from strife.

How's that?</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2002 04:36PM

<HTML>brilliant, as usual, Jon! What do you want to bet Polly prints that up and posts it on the bulletin board in the break room!?</HTML>

Date: December 18, 2002 04:46PM

<HTML>Cut above your normal medical humour, anyway, which tends to the scatological and obscene. (My wife was a nurse).</HTML>

Posted by: polly (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 18, 2002 05:24PM

<HTML>Brilliant, Jon, simply brilliant. I knew you'd rise to the challenge :)

Sorry, AAC, not much point in putting it in the break room as I'm not in that field (or lab) any more!</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: December 18, 2002 10:12PM

<HTML>seems I'm a bit late to be collecting songs for mr fforde. ah well, that's what you get for being caught doing some work (for a change!).

Jon, I take my (nonexistent) hat off to you. I must admit I doubted you for a second there, but I think you've pulled it off.

If you could stick it back on before you go, there's a good chap...</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 05:38PM

<HTML>Wow, Jon, that is soooooo cool!</HTML>

Posted by: poestscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 19, 2002 10:49PM

<HTML>Ooh crumbs. i leave the fforum alone for a couple of days and end up with even more stuff to do...</HTML>

Date: December 20, 2002 01:00AM

<HTML>Entroposcopes to the ready - just realised that Jon and I have both used the same thread titles, at different places....

Weird....</HTML>

Date: December 20, 2002 01:43AM

<HTML>That took nigh on three hours to sort out the stuff I've written, and I still can't find half the tunes I remember writing, and I now have ideas for even more.... Did anybody else submit things where one person started it and another continued it - I'm thinking of the American Pie rip and Big Brother specifically, where I sent the whole lot as a collaboration, but I've done it on a couple of others too - for instance the responses to 'This be the shameless steal', which seemed to be too good to lose.</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.