New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Thin line between fiction and fact ...
Posted by: Dave (212.56.94.---)
Date: August 23, 2002 11:39AM

<HTML>[news.bbc.co.uk]

Just started The Eyre Affair as well, which makes it a bit too weird...

Dave</HTML>

Re: Thin line between fiction and fact ...
Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: August 23, 2002 02:02PM

<HTML>oh gosh!
It's Hades again!!!!!!</HTML>

Posted by: Nick (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 23, 2002 04:55PM

<HTML>You better read "The Christmas Carol" whilst you can! The book might not have a future! Or, at least, a ghost of Christmas future ;-)

Save Tiny Tim ;-)

-Nick.</HTML>

Posted by: Christian (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 23, 2002 10:07PM

<HTML>Someone call the LiteraTecs!!!!</HTML>

Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2002 05:10AM

<HTML>I just read that 3 "A Christmas Carol" first editions were stolen from The Charles Dickens House Museum. In broad daylight, no less! Is there yet another Hades sibling out there? HMMMMMMM! Thursday, where are you when we need you!?

(at least they're only first editions and not the original manuscript! Then we'd REALLY be in trouble!)</HTML>

Posted by: ben tymens (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 27, 2002 01:45AM

<HTML>Did anyone think to check the video camera? That'd rule in Archeron, but he's dead. Ish.

It can't be Aornis, 'cause she'd be too busy in the sales at the time of the theft.

What skills to the other sibs bring?</HTML>

Tributaries
Posted by: Dennis Walker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 27, 2002 06:51PM

<HTML>According to my researches the five tributaries of the Styx (which means 'hate' )are:-

Acheron - woe
Phlegethon - fire
Cocytus - lamentation
Aornis - means 'birdless', but (according to Robert Graves) Aornis is a mistranslation of 'Avernus' meaning 'land of apples'
Lethe - forgetfulness

Maybe Lethe stole the 'Christmas Carol' editions. But I suspect that their testimony would be somewhat untrustworthy!

Dennis</HTML>

Re: Tributaries
Posted by: ben t (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 28, 2002 12:56AM

<HTML>'Land of Apples' - seems a bit, er, weak for Greek stuff.

Imagine arriving at Hades, trembling at the thought of WOE, FIRE, LAMENTATION, FORGETFULNESS and (whisper it) 'apples'. Bramleys can be vicous, but even so?

**BURST OF STATIC** : "Hades would like to apologise for the ABUNDANCY of BIRDS, this is due to the wrong kind of apples." **BURST OF STATIC**

(Having said this: finding a British Rail Anouncer in Hades apologising for cock-ups would be truly awful, if not entirely unexpected.)

Note to people lucky enough to avoid British Rail: British Rail was a state monopoly railway 'service' famous for poor excuses about the non-running of trains. British Rail has since been split into private companies, with no noticeable improvement in the running of trains. However the privatisation was judged a great success as the excuses are now more efficient. Imagine Goliath running the Gravitubes with added leaves on the track.

I will now leave satire to those with a sense of humour and less parentheses to spare ((bookworms, sorry)).</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: August 28, 2002 08:28AM

<HTML>lol lol lol

For all you've said, I still think British Rail (any of the several companies) is better than Portuguese Rail, at least in terms of geographical range, frequency of trains, comfort, and so on...
I know, because I've been on the portuguese ones (only once or twice thank god, now I simply drive) and loads of times on the british ones...

Anyway, apples can be vicious too... if someone hits you with, say, lamentation, either you're sorry for them or you simply shout 'go moan at someone else you stupid git', while if you're hit by apples, especially the green type, they leave very visible and hurtful bumps in your head...</HTML>

Posted by: ben tymens (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 28, 2002 08:13PM

<HTML>lol about the enlightened grief counselling methods you employ - although I find a better tactic is to run away before the crying person can see you (remember the tears reduce their eyesight). Thisa saves you the embarrasment of yelling at them, and they don't feel rejected. Perfectly compassionate.

An alternative tactic is to be the thing that causes the crying. You still get tears, but on somebody else's shoulder... ; p

That touching Hades family moment aside...

Apples falling on Newton's head were damned handy, weren't they? It's just a shame that kumquats weren't about for the Greeks to enliven their myths with, apples are so... mundane

German trains are the worst in my experience. Old, smelly, and liable to being split in half just after you've fallen into a coma in the wrong part of a train, leading to either a lengthy detour to Geneva, or a long argument with the staff that can only be resolved by the "dumb English tourist" routine. Having said that, taking a train along the Rhine at midnight was one of the highlights of my life.

Slovakian buses are the worst public transport ever though - at one stop we counted 117 people off. People still ahd to stand in the aisle. To get to Krakow, in Poland, you have to get off and walk to the border from a mile away unless you are Polish or Slovakian. You then have to catch the next bus - ssmae service, but two hours later. Overcrowding AND pointless beaurocracy - genius...</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 17, 2002 12:45PM

<HTML>The trains in Australia (just to add my 2 cents worth) appear to show an amazing trust in human nature, as you buy the ticket (or not) and simply walk to the platfrom- there are no barriers and damn few ticket inspectors.....
Coming from the suspicious realm of london Undergrpound, with its barriers, inspectors etc, it seems amazing to me, but then, before I went backpacking, I didn't get out much.......</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.