New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Could the GSD church set up a site like this?
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: December 19, 2002 05:50PM

<HTML>This website was set up a student at Stanford for a computer science class she was taking. She got an A.
<a href="http://stanford.edu/~lwatkins/CTG/CTGhome.html">CatholicismToGo</a>.

Apparently the Sermonizer only works in Netscape, not in IE.</HTML>

Re: Could the GSD church set up a site like this?
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 19, 2002 06:18PM

<HTML>I'm a Catholic, and I'm not sure whether to be impressed or horrified... ;-) No, seriously, I like it!

If the GSD Church does set up a website like this, Wilfred says he'd be interested, because it would save him a great deal of complicated thinking about what he believes, and thinking is not really his strong point.</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 06:44PM

<HTML>In case anyone is doubtful, it was, in fact, meant as a joke. The disclaimer at the bottom of the page might be a hint in that direction.</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 06:45PM

<HTML>Oh, and the person who set it up is in fact Catholic, as is her mother who I got the link from.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 19, 2002 07:59PM

<HTML>Apparently my patron saint is Sebastian, although this may be due to an unfamiliarity with American shoe shops. This is an improvement on Jude, which is who I would have guessed at previously.</HTML>

Posted by: polly (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 19, 2002 08:48PM

<HTML>Even more obscure though Jon - and I hate to think of you suffering death by arrows. Although, as Tom Stoppard pointed out, as a moving object is always half way between its current position and its target, it never actually arrives, and hence, St Sebastian died of fright. I'm sure all the physicists and mathematicians will spot the flaw in that argument.</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 08:56PM

<HTML>I was thinking of Jude as the patron of lost causes, actually. Is that arrow business akin to the Ephebians' attempts to prove Xeno's paradox, which caused much grief to tortoises? Mind you, old Seb wasn't a moving target was he, being tied to a stake.

Which reminds me, I did another one of those tests lately - can't remember what site it was - that matched you up with a Discworld character. I was expecting to be a Carrot, but came out as Gaspode. It's a wossname.</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 09:15PM

<HTML>I took the test too, and it said my patron saint was St Thomas Aquinas. Not sure what to make of that; I always thought it was St Hild of Whitby, since I happen to have got her name as a middle name (and very happy with it I am too...)

Reminds me of a lovely schoolchild's howler I once came across: "The patron saint of travellers is St Francis of the seasick." Amen to that! ;-)

Jon - if you find that Discworld site, let me know. I think I'm Susan Death. Chomsky is definitely Rincewind, Minsky is Lord Vetinari, Klinsmann is Cohen the Barbarian (the young version), and Heidi is an even younger version of Granny Weatherwax...</HTML>

Re: Character selection
Date: December 19, 2002 09:34PM

<HTML>There are a whole load of character selection sites here: [www.qulture.net]

The Discworld one I tried this time wasn't the same site as before .... this one said I was Rincewind. And, Sarah, you can't be Susan Death ....we'd have noticed if you were that bossy.

Incidentally, which Nextian character do people think they are? Ah, ah, wait for it ... you can't be Thursday - that's just too easy. I feel a definite affinity with Bowden Cable, myself.</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 09:38PM

<HTML>Ooo, I forgot ... Abbess Hild of Whitby (or possibly Strensall), eh? That's my line of country all right; if it happened in Britain between 450 and 1086 I could bore you rigid with it. Big woman for synods, Hild.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: December 19, 2002 09:51PM

<HTML>I suspect that as a Thursday Next character, I ought to be David Graham from LIAGB. Not sure why, just feel an affinity. Edward refuses to be his daughter though, as he's now the proud owner of a much shorter haircut. Though no longer the owner of quite so much hair...</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 10:02PM

<HTML>There's always one, isn't there? *rolls eyes* I'll rephrase the question; which Nextian character would you like to be, other than Thursday, if you are not in fact one already?

(This competition is not open to fictional characters, employees of MycroTech or ConStuff, and people I don't like. Cats, penguins and siblings welcome).</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 10:10PM

<HTML>Hmmmm.....I got:
'Several saints are tied for your patron. Please retake the quiz and break the tie.'

So apparently either everyone wants me, or nobody does. And the same is true even if I shop elsewhere for footwear.

If I claim to have spent last night alone instead of with friends, I get St. Francis of Assissi.
If I claim to have been at the library, I get St. Thomas Aquinas.

In point of fact, I was at my department Christmas party, listening to karaoke of variable quality, eating fairly decent appetizers and biscuits, and not being able to understand the words to the pancreas song. But that wasn't on the list.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: December 19, 2002 10:16PM

<HTML>I rather fancy being Mycroft. suitably batty, but one step ahead of the game..</HTML>

Date: December 19, 2002 10:27PM

<HTML>Er... well, I dress a lot like Cordelia Flakk, but I don't think I'm very much like her! Minsky says that <i>of course</i> he would be the UA of W Cat, and Wilfred was convinced he ought to be Pickwick until I pointed out that she was a girl, which really confused him. I think he could possibly be Lord Volescamper, actually. After all, anyone who's so scatty he can't remember who his daughter married is definitely well on the way to being an avatar of Wilfred, or <i>vice versa</i>.</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 20, 2002 09:51AM

<HTML>I also got St. Sebastian.

And yes, it's all to do with Xeno's paradox. (An infinite sum can sum to a finite
value. Nuff said.)</HTML>

Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 20, 2002 10:22AM

<HTML>Hmmm my patron saint is St.Sebastian too, but I am Mustrum Ridcully (followed in close second by Cpl. Nobbs of the Watch)</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 20, 2002 10:54AM

<HTML>You can't be Nobby. You're too tall.</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: December 20, 2002 10:55AM

<HTML>My patron is St Thomas Aquinas :)</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 20, 2002 11:43AM

<HTML>That's sizeist, that is. CArrot is over 6 foot tall, and he's a dwarf.</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.