New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I'm back
Posted by: Ooktavia (---.ains.net.au)
Date: December 22, 2002 03:29AM

<HTML>Hello, again, ffellow Fforumites. I see lots of things to read ahaed of me. I know I've not been arounf lately, but I have been on a 6 day overland tour to Ayers Rock, one so beset by mechanical mishaps I had to manufacture my own entropyscope just to check. 2 tyre bursts, one radiator overheat and a shattererd main injection line/pump thing.........
The Rocks amazing, and LIAGB help me through the 4 14 hour days in the car to get there. It put off a few of the rest of the group- the mad laughter worried them, but I think I have a convert or two amongst that quivering mass of fear stricken souls....</HTML>

Re: I'm back
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 22, 2002 11:43AM

<HTML>Gosh, I envy you - you can read in a car! If I tried that, I would be vomiting spectacularly within about ten minutes. I can just about manage it on a train as long as I remember to keep looking out of the window regularly to re-orientate my inner ear (or whichever bit it is that causes travel sickness), but a car is right out of the question.

Sounds like you had an interesting time, anyway, and welcome back! :-)</HTML>

Posted by: poestscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 22, 2002 01:06PM

<HTML>Two blowouts? Better not pick up any skyrail tickets....</HTML>

Date: December 22, 2002 01:06PM

<HTML>Two blowouts? Better not pick up any skyrail tickets....</HTML>

Posted by: Minsky Cat (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 22, 2002 01:12PM

<HTML>Ben, you're bifurcating again. Which time stream are you in?</HTML>

Date: December 22, 2002 01:13PM

<HTML>This one.....</HTML>

Date: December 22, 2002 01:18PM

<HTML>Oh, well, that's all right, then. Purrrrrrrrr!</HTML>

Date: December 22, 2002 01:24PM

<HTML>Well, you know. I'm only ever here in one sense at a time, so nobody would notice...</HTML>

Date: December 22, 2002 01:29PM

<HTML>You'd be <i>amazed</i> at what cats notice. My staff can't open the honey jar anywhere within earshot without having me come running, and let me tell you that the feline definition of "earshot" is considerably broader than the human one.

(Note from Minsky's staff: This is quite true. Minsky has a sweet tooth. I've given up trying to understand that cat...)</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2002 09:51PM

<HTML>I should dearly like to go and see Ayers Rock, sorry, Uluru (if in rather more comfort) but the missus sez if we ever go to Oz it's not on the itinerary. Drat.

And I can read in cars, and trains, upside down in a hammock, anywhere ... the problem is stopping me reading ... and to prove it I'm going to bed - to read a book.</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: December 23, 2002 02:17PM

<HTML>I'm also envious.

I can manage to read on trains (just) and in planes (but not during take-off or landing), but if I try to read in a car, within a few minutes I am nauseous enough that I have to stop, or the consequences would be unpleasant.

Very annoying on long car trips with friends when everyone else seems to be either reading or sleeping - and I can't sleep worth a d@mn in a car either. Even as a baby I was apparently the only baby on earth that wouldn't sleep in the car.

Speaking of babies, if anyone wants to see an amusing account of a birth, look at my best friend's husband's <a href="http://www.chuckandelaine.com/cjc-web-log/index.html">weblog</a>. Their first child was born Friday morning.

-Magda-</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (203.166.19.---)
Date: December 24, 2002 03:41AM

<HTML>I can read anything anywhere. Well, within reason. I can't read in the dark. Actually, the problem is getting me to stop long enough to eat or wash, if the book is good enough. TEA and LIAGB being cases to hand- I read LIAGB for 5 hours straigh on day 2 of the trip (the scenery was *very* dull). I think the desert needs a Skyrail. If they can keep it clear of drop bears, that is.
I think anyone who visits Oz needs to see (but not climb) The Big Red Rock- it's big, it's red, it's a rock! What more do you need?
The little resort near it ( cos it's in the middle of the plocking desert) has a nice wide range of accomadation AND an airport. You could do it in 2 days!!</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 24, 2002 12:10PM

<HTML>Plocking. Congratulations! A wonderful, all-purpose, non-offensive dodo imprecation. I love it. Plocking good idea, Ooktavia. :-)</HTML>

Date: December 24, 2002 09:29PM

<HTML>"it's big, it's red, it's a rock! What more do you need?"

200 foot of rope, a decent pair of rock shoes and somebody to belay me? Well, never mind...

P{locking may become my invective of choice, but unimpressed by the effect of literature upon your sanitary habits ;)</HTML>

Date: December 24, 2002 09:34PM

<HTML>btw, anybody who heard my name on ?Five Live the other night was not hallucinating, it really did happen. Couldn't squeeze in any Nextian reference though, sorry.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 24, 2002 09:42PM

<HTML>Rockclimbers eh? Always looking for a quick belay. For the benefit of those of us a) not listeners of 5 Live b) not residents of the UK or c) deaf (and I fall into two of those categories) ... what pearls of wisdom were you imparting to the nation?</HTML>

Date: December 25, 2002 12:17AM

<HTML>Rock shoes? Wouldn't they be very heavy??
At the Big Red Rock, there's a chain driven into the rock on the steepest part of the climb (more of a scramble than an actual climb proper grown up climb involving pitons, clips, and crampons, truth be told) but the local owners, the Aboriginal tribe whose name I can't spell don't like you to actually climb it, so I didn't. Plus it was only 8am and the tempature was already 20 plocking degrees centigrade. Much too hot.
And litarature only has that unsanitary effect on me if I pick up a book before I get out of bed.</HTML>

Date: December 26, 2002 12:06AM

<HTML>Out of bed? I seem to remember a world out there but it was a long time ago... Can't be arsed with all that metallic crap, frankly it makes you sound like an ironmongers during an earthquake and if there isn't a chance of falling horribly to my death then what's the point? Good on you for respecting the Aborigines though, ethics aren't such a problem in Wales...

And jon, I can't remember my words of wisdom, I was drunk enough to be emailing Five Live after all... Something to do with politics and religion, and the Rabbi agreed with me, so not totally wasted. Edwina laughed at my email address, which coming from someone who shagged John Major is a bit rich....</HTML>

Date: December 30, 2002 04:01AM

<HTML>There is a chance of you falling stupidly to your death on the Big Red Rock, but you're more likely to die of heat-induced stroke, heart attackes etc.</HTML>

Date: December 30, 2002 06:45PM

<HTML>...big nasty spiders, poisonous plants/snakes/insects/birds/mammals/lichen/toilet seats, angry crocodiles (well, not actually <i>on</i> the rock, but...)....

Need I add any more reasons to my list of 'things about Oz that scare me'?</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.