New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Signed copies mystery
Posted by: ben tymens (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 27, 2002 02:14AM

<HTML>How many people have bought signed copies of EA or LIAGB? Has anybody ever met Mr Fforde in person, or does he just steal into bookshops and sign random copies when nobody's looking? I bought EA this morning, and it was signed... although I've no way to check it's genuine without SO-27.

Is anybody as stupid as me in discovering LIAGB 1st, and reading EA after. I couldn't work out what was happening until about two thirds of the way through, and very nearly ended up boojummed.</HTML>

Re: Signed copies mystery
Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: August 27, 2002 08:33AM

<HTML>I got a signed copy of EA too, without knowing how ;) and only noticed at home, so I suppose Jasper sneaked in while I was sleeping....

About your 2nd question, erm, not me.... I read EA last year and have been anxiously and desperately waiting for LIAGB since then... a bit like I'm feeling now about the 3rd one ;) what a life! 363 days of despair for 2 days of ecstatic reading ;)
well, there's always re-reads, and now the site ;) lol</HTML>

Date: August 27, 2002 10:53PM

<HTML>I might try reading them backwards to see if there's any hidden message. Alternatively I could get a job...</HTML>

Posted by: charles ronayne (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 28, 2002 06:20PM

<HTML>I have another mystery along the same lines. Why is it that every time I go into Foyles in London they always seem to have a full shelf of signed copies of L.I.A.G.B but I have seen at least five copies bought with my own eyes. Did Mr. Fforde sit down for hours on end and sign thousands of books for them? Even more disturbing, why did he spend so long signing books in a sho, which fails to stock his first book? I had to walk around Oxford Street for half an hour before finding it. There are some major censorship issues here, I may have to alert Mr. Lush so he can investigate.</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 28, 2002 07:31PM

<HTML>Lack of copies of EA in High Street Stores possibly result of me telling everybody I meet to go and buy it. Stocking levels will return to normal soon, possibly shortly after my dosage is increased... Sorry.</HTML>

Posted by: Christian (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 28, 2002 10:10PM

<HTML>Apparently, Jasper did sign all the copies of LIAGB in hardcover himself, as it was a limited print run of 4,000 (or so). Four thousand is still a load of books. How boring must it have been to write your name four thousand times???? See the bit on this site about not letting anyone else sign for you or print your signature.

And yeah, he exists. Met him in Worcester. Much younger than I'd imagined. Umm ... no offense intended there, Mr Fforde.</HTML>

Date: August 29, 2002 07:30PM

<HTML>I can't write my name once and make it legible - 4000? Did he keep count as he did it - with a brief sense of elation at 2000 and the start of the end (or the middle of the middle), followed by a burst of prolonged swearing...</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: August 30, 2002 08:27AM

<HTML>lol
Well, in my signed copy he just wrote Jasper.
Ignore the 'Fforde' after 4000 signings I suppose, because mine is a paperback. Although it's not the small paperback size, it's the other medium size...

(why are there so many sizes anyway? I guess I have to ask my sister, who works for the industry lol)</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (195.224.227.---)
Date: August 30, 2002 01:38PM

<HTML>Size doesn't matter...

Sorry, sorry. Couldn't resist the obvious...I'll go away and write fifty times 'I will not be rude and obvious'.

Should be quite quick using copy and paste, so not much of a punishment ; D</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Peterson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 09, 2002 11:31AM

<HTML>Ben,

I purchased a signed copy of TN2 in an Ebay auction. It was the only way for me to get it, since I live in the States. I recently read TN1 on summer vacation (then listened to the audio version), and couldn't wait until the January 2003 US release of TN2. I probably will be picking up a copy anyway, however. I've read 2 chapters so far, and can't wait to find a little quiet time to read the rest. Also, I did get one of the free inserts.

I have not met the esteemed Mr. Fforde. However, I received a very nice email from him in response to a question regarding the website. I hope I get a chance to meet him on his upcoming US book tour.

Terry Peterson</HTML>

Posted by: RALPH SPURRIER (---.www-cache.demon.co.uk)
Date: September 19, 2002 06:06PM

<HTML>Just for the record folks. Jasper signed some 3000 hardbacks and 500 paperbacks of LIGB in the publisher's warehouse but he probably signed a few more out on the road. Most UK retail bookstores only carried the paperback. The total print run of the hardabck was 4400 - exactly double that of EA</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.