New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Getting hold of readies...
Posted by: ben t (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 28, 2002 12:39AM

<HTML>Re: Pete and Dave's, I was extremely vexed to find they no longer accept salt. I'd been hording it specially for years, and almost had enough for a respliced fruit-fly (even easier to maintain than a Thylacine). I almost had enough salt once, but I took it swimming with me to avoid anybody nicking it, which was probably a bad move seeing as I forgot to wrap it in something waterproof.

Does anyone have a splicing kit to clone money, as I fear my fruit fly dream may become slightly unhitched...

PS ScarletBea lolololol or LOLOLOLOL? I get confused...</HTML>

Re: Getting hold of readies...
Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: August 28, 2002 08:33AM

<HTML>well, it's all a question of scale you see...
laughing from plain 'lol' to the top 'ROFL' or something to that effect ;)
although I suppose I stop at the maiuscules LOLOLetc, as you asked...
what was that about anyway, eheheh?

A splicing kit to close money is called a J-O-B. It involves getting out of the house to a place where they give you a computer and free net access and require you to do some things in the meantime.

(saying this, I do work hard and use the net sparingly and only when there's nothing to do ;) just so you dont think I'm a... erm... that that you're thinking :D And I have an important job lol)</HTML>

Posted by: ben t (195.224.227.---)
Date: August 28, 2002 01:56PM

<HTML>apparently this job thing pays me money too, but unfortunately I have recently discovered another three letter word P-U-B that seems to act as a drain on the money, and after a couple of nights busy forgetting the horrors of the job, the cash machine at my bank refuses to issue any more beer tokens.

My job isn't very important. In fact, it seems to be spent mostly amusing people via witty emails. I'm not always very good at it though, so they make me fill forms in as well. Damn them.</HTML>

Date: August 28, 2002 02:24PM

<HTML>My cash doesnt give me beer tokens, but it does give me books and travel tokens :D

Your job sounds kinda boring ;) no wonder you need a P-U-B to recover lol</HTML>

Date: August 28, 2002 07:16PM

<HTML>You can use those pictures of the Queen to go somewhere better? Why didn't I think of that?

I used the vast proportion of my money to go somewhere better - to uni. Actually that's a lie. I used a vast amount of somebody else's and now have to pay them back...

Job is crap and I know it - data entry. Not even the good kind where actual words on paper are involved - everything comes off the web. Not sure why they can't write a program to do it, but don't like to ask in case they write one and make me redundant. Only have crap job because didn't have a clue what I wanted to do when I finished uni. Still don't, really.

The benefit of a crap job, of course, is that you can pack it in and go travelling as soon as you owe the bank slightly less money. Can't decide where though, so will probably buy a random ticket to anywhere.</HTML>

Date: August 28, 2002 07:29PM

<HTML>Dammit, I've come up with a better idea. After working out when I can afford to do something more interesting I will announce a really huge landmark, and a time. I will endeavor to be there at said hour and see how many people say 'Hello' before we go off down the bar. I will put more a sum of money on me being the only one, so much so that I might even buy a drink for anybody stupid enough to actually turn up.

Any suggestions from the audience? (Preferably with a Nextian theme, but a little more exotic than Swindon)

PS ScarletBea - glad you have such an important job that you couldn't possibly use the net on frivolous things such as the bemused wanderings (and wonderings) of this madman ; )</HTML>

Date: August 29, 2002 01:08PM

<HTML>LOL
I though I was actually «use the net on frivolous things such as the bemused wanderings (and wonderings) of this madman » :D

And as you now probably realised from my reply to your mail, I don't «use those pictures of the Queen to go somewhere better», I use pictures of... erm... still don't know exactly what those euro notes have without looking at them eheheheh :)
Anyway, my problem is really the time lol, only 22 days of holidays per year... although between going somewhere for fun and going somewhere for work, in these 8 months of 2002 I've travelled 6 times eek (3 fun - sort of-/3 work)

Any suggestion as to how you find out what you really want to do?</HTML>

Posted by: ben tymens (195.224.227.---)
Date: August 29, 2002 01:40PM

<HTML>Can't get emails till I get home - company aren't that stupid, unfortunately...

My personal tactic is run away from anything that I don't like - which keeps me fit if nothing else. Really I want to write, being possesed with some stupid idea that I can amuse people. It's either that or stand-up ecology : )

Time out travelling after uni has been the big idea, but I doubt I'll come back any wiser, and because I concentrated on science my language skills veer between absent and piss-poor (except I can order beer in about 10 languages, strangely), so working abroad is a bit of a scary thought.

As for working out what anybody really wants to do - I suspect it's either something you know or don't. All I really want is to earn enough cash to allow me to be myself, and then collect as many random anecdotes as possible.

Alternatively try a hypnotist, although try not to use one that persuades you that your greatest ambition is to take all your clothes off on stage... : D</HTML>

Date: August 29, 2002 02:46PM

<HTML>«As for working out what anybody really wants to do - I suspect it's either something you know or don't. »
You know for me was something complete random, as I'd studied Business Studies, had a vague idea of wanting to go into Marketing, trying to get a job in that area, not being able, after some months getting one in Finance Controlling and suddenly discovering I was made for that :)

But... your company lets you be online in any net site and doesn't allow you to see mails???? Can't you access your mail site as you access this forum?
I can go anywhere, but even if I couldn't I'd want my Hotmail access...</HTML>

Date: August 29, 2002 07:27PM

<HTML>No - for some reason we can't access Lycos, no metter how hard you try clicking. Which is irritating, especially when you're waiting to hear about jobs/PhDs (I'm only temping until I get enough money to do something more fun for a while)...

To be honest, I'm too young for a career (I'll keep telling myself that for years now...)

Anybody wanting to give a job to a young, university educated, verbose bloke with too much time on his hands....</HTML>

Date: August 30, 2002 08:29AM

<HTML>If I'd give you one (not that I really can), we'd spend our days here or directly talking about Thursday Next ahahahahaaha
so I don't think so ;)

(anyway, if you're after uni you can't be less than 23, 24, right???? ;))</HTML>

Date: August 30, 2002 01:36PM

<HTML>Nope, younger than that - I'm not a month over twenty-one... Still, hardly a kid I suppose. Doesn't stop me behaving like one tho' ;D

To be honest we have other things to talk about as well as Thursday Next: dodo's, travel, music, which country has the worst transport system...

Admittedly not thrill a minute, but better than at the moment where nobody talks to me :(

Maybe we could form our own company providing counselling for people traumatised by the long wait for the 'Well of Lost Plots' :)</HTML>

Date: August 30, 2002 01:45PM

<HTML>oh that sounds perfect!

"Don't worry my dear, if you re-read the other 2 books you will get over the anxiety"
"Now now, don't cry"

LOL

eeek 21! That *is* young ;)

I like talking about travelling and music :D

By the way, one thing: any idea why Jasper decided to set things in 1985?
As much as I liked my teenage years (I was 15 then lol) it wouldn't be my first choice... or maybe he wanted a year when there was no net ;)</HTML>

Date: August 30, 2002 04:32PM

<HTML>No idea....

No idea why 21 seems massively young. Must be that famous perspective of *age* ;D

Anyway, they've been very long years...

As for why 1985... all hail the power of 'Google' : D

[www.bookbrowse.com]

(about two thirds of the way down...)</HTML>

Date: August 30, 2002 04:45PM

<HTML>oh thanks!!!!!!
And to think we can expect at least 5 books!!!! YAY!!!! I simply can't wait *getting nervous*

And what a great site! *going back to browse other authors and books*

(the 'age' thing... I'm 32 ;))))))</HTML>

Date: August 30, 2002 04:45PM

<HTML>If its any consolation for me being obscenely young I had you figured as 23/24ish too...

So if we average ourselves we'll be about right ;D</HTML>

Date: August 30, 2002 04:50PM

<HTML>And I could do the sums for myslef and everything, even if I did have to take my socks off to count that high and then get an adult to help....

(Cheeky smile!) ;D</HTML>

Date: August 30, 2002 07:14PM

<HTML>Would bring bunch of flowers round to apologise for cheekiness (impudent young scamp me, an' all) but iot's a long way tp walk ; D
lol</HTML>

Finding something you really want to do...
Date: August 30, 2002 07:30PM

<HTML>Just got offer of a PhD, was convinced I'd completely screwed the interview up.

This obviously calls for serious consumption of alcohol, 'cause they'll be paying me to be a student. Outrageous...

However, due to forthcoming intoxication, could everybody please ignore any posts from me in the next twelve hours. I don't mean any of it....</HTML>

Re: Finding something you really want to do...
Posted by: Bea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: August 30, 2002 09:57PM

<HTML>lolololol
Congrats Ben!!!!!!
What's the PhD for then? (study subject, I mean)

And thanks for the age thing, and you've never seen me ;) but I do have a young mind lol and have loads of friends around your age (my ex is 22), so age for me is truly just a number (or a way to see how much fun you've had in your life ;))

*accepting flowers anyway* ;)</HTML>

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.