New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
UK book signings?
Posted by: Sarah B (AKA Sarah2) (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 03, 2003 11:52AM

<HTML>Does anyone know if Jasper is doing any UK book signings this year? Just so that I can chase him round the UK waving my copy of the Eyre Affair at him...

Does this name inspire less confusion? I can only hope so! I'm still thinking though, and will hopefully come up with something better soon...</HTML>

Re: UK book signings?
Posted by: Carla (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 03, 2003 12:22PM

<HTML>i will try and get a books etc one... i already know who in hodder to cantact, but since i'm not responsible for any signings and events all i can do i annoy the right person into pitching for one...

but somehow jasper isn't a much Books etc event person... maybe...</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 03, 2003 11:26PM

<HTML>Sarah - we know who you are! Only really awkward people would switch names after their first load of posts (er, guess who?)... It was the advent of there being two Ben's, even if one of us is PSD and only ever called Ben by Bea...</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 04, 2003 10:59AM

<HTML>Right, losing the other bit then.

Is that meaning that you know me because I *am* the awkward one? ;)</HTML>

Date: January 04, 2003 08:29PM

<HTML>no, I originally posted under my 'real' name...

And then realised that any potential employers would be less than impressed...</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2003 10:30PM

<HTML>Oh I dunno old boy. You could always get a job at Slaithwaite's .....

Hint, hint!</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 05, 2003 04:25PM

<HTML>I guess it depends what you're thinking of being employed as, really. Besides, if any potential employers are lurking on this Fforum, they're probably excellent people who'd be delighted to take you on board!</HTML>

Date: January 05, 2003 04:31PM

<HTML>Hmm, after hearing about my decided lack of work ethic...

And Jon, after months of Douglas Adams-like activity, I've finally started doing a proper rewrite. Although I still have no new jokes, so I'm basically wedging scenes in to make the plot work a bit better (ie 'at all')... And I now know more steam engine terms than i ever thought I could use.</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 06, 2003 12:56PM

<HTML>"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."

- Douglas Adams</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: January 06, 2003 01:08PM

<HTML>LOLOL
He's so not like me ;)</HTML>

Date: January 06, 2003 01:20PM

<HTML>He's a hell of a lot like me ... well, apart from the tallness. And the money. And the talent. And the being very clever. And knowing all sorts of science stuff. Apart from all that, we could be brothers. I mean, the number of times I've not written a best-selling book is almost as many as the number of times he didn't. Apart from the times he did, of course.

Sitting down in front of a keyboard and being stricken with an urge to do anything other than write is a phenomenon I'm very familiar with.</HTML>

Date: January 06, 2003 02:04PM

<HTML>Gosh. So not everyone is afflicted with <i>cacoethes scribendi,<i> or for non-Latinists the morbid urge to scribble, then?</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 06, 2003 02:12PM

<HTML>my main problem was getting started. I had a lot of buying new notebooks, pens and the like, then promptly leaving them at home. I envisioned writing reams whilst sipping espresso in a coffee shop.

Erm, no. Didn't work. In the end I just started typing. Much easier (and more fun than work), though harder to carry on the work from home, short of emailing back and forth...</HTML>

Date: January 06, 2003 02:24PM

<HTML>Can't write by hand for more than about two or three sides of A4, otherwise my wrists hurt like stink. One day I shall be able to afford a laptop, so that I can write wherever I wish. In the meantime, I indulge my all-consuming passion for writing by spending far more time in front of this computer than is strictly healthy...</HTML>

Date: January 06, 2003 02:27PM

<HTML>indeed. I aspire to a laptop, thereby saving the problem. Missed out on one going at work a month or two back. It was only £30, perfect for what I wanted, only a 486, but would do the job. Except by the time I'd prevaricated and checked my bank balance, the lady had sold it. Boo.</HTML>

<HTML>indeed. I aspire to a laptop, thereby saving the problem. Missed out on one going at work a month or two back. It was only £30, perfect for what I wanted, only a 486, but would do the job. Except by the time I'd prevaricated and checked my bank balance, the lady had sold it. Boo.</HTML>

<HTML>ooh eck, I' m bifurcating again.</HTML>

Date: January 06, 2003 02:33PM

<HTML>Oh, yes. One has the urge to scribble all right. But only when you're not supposed to, as it might be at work. Sit down at home with the earnest intention of knocking out 5,000 words of deathless prose, and suddenly you find yourself doing anything but that (such as, to take a purely random example, reading all the scripts for forthcoming episodes of Buffy until 0200 next morning). This malaise (which we might perhaps call <I>Adams' Disease</I>) is particularly virulent if the deathless prose in question absolutely has to be written and delivered by 0900 Tuesday, and it is now 2230 Monday, and oooh, look, here's a site full of pictures of Sunderland flying boats ....</HTML>

Date: January 06, 2003 02:33PM

<HTML>*searches for small spherical object with which to repair time stream*

*finds cat toy and inserts it neatly into time discontinuity*

There, Dave. Is that better? :-)</HTML>

Date: January 06, 2003 02:36PM

<HTML>oooh, much.</HTML>

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.